Cancer Influencers #9

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I‘m sorry, that’s on me, I wasn’t talking about Lizzie particauly although I’ve worded it badly so it looks like I was. I did genuinely mean I understand why she’s looking, I should have left a gap for the next sentence.

Reactions: 1
Doctors have a duty of care and to do no harm, that’s why treatment is stopped. I agree totally with knowing when to say enough. We all die and sadly some die younger than others. I think Lizzie having a bit of hope is wonderful, however I don’t think she’s buried her head in the sand, I think she’s aware this could be the end of options. I remember poor Monique in hospital still searching for treatment, when in reality I feel being in hospice would have been so much better for her. I guess ultimately people have to handle it however they are able to.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
Doctors have a duty of care and to do no harm, that’s why treatment is stopped. I agree totally with knowing when to say enough. We all die and sadly some die younger than others. I think Lizzie having a bit of hope is wonderful, however I don’t think she’s buried her head in the sand, I think she’s aware this could be the end of options. I remember poor Monique in hospital still searching for treatment, when in reality I feel being in hospice would have been so much better for her. I guess ultimately people have to handle it however they are able to.
Monique, in my opinion, had a very sad ending as she never stop pursuing treatment. Her pain was never controlled, and she never accepted her fate. I feel that Lizzie is much more realistic about her prognosis and destiny

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Monique, in my opinion, had a very sad ending as she never stop pursuing treatment. Her pain was never controlled, and she never accepted her fate. I feel that Lizzie is much more realistic about her prognosis and destiny
It was awful 😢 I was not a fan of NNL but I admired her greatly at the end, she accepted her fate and put in place everything that would make it easier for her and her loved ones.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I often think about Monique, she had no quality of life for a long, long time imo. I think I’ve said this before, my Mum didn’t tell us she had come home from hospital to die (my Dad was ill too) and as a result of that, I need to know the truth without it being sugarcoated, even if it was to be the worst news and I pick that up from Lizzie too. I think hope is a great thing but it’s a fine line between that and false hope, and that is crushing should the answers be bad.

Did anyone see Super Surgeons on Tuesday night? This is series 2 and it’s based on the Marsden. I found episode 1 utterly fascinating and heartbreaking (it features two patients). I think series 1 might still be on All 4

Reactions: 5
I’m going to disagree, I think giving up is actually a very valid thing to choose. Our society frames life/death as a battle and couches it in language like ‘battle’ ‘fight’ ‘give up’ etc but actually, they co-exist.

I think they valuing of existence over everything means we push and push to keep people alive when maybe we shouldn’t.

Lizzy is currently well, I understand feeling the need to extend that. But there are plenty of times where treatments cause weakness which cause infection which then get treated but can’t be overcome fully and leave the person battling horrific infections alongside their cancer. Sometimes it’s better to say “I’ll have the rest of my days fairly well till the time comes” than “I’ll spend my time on IV antibiotics, sometimes not lucid because the infection keeps screwing my blood chemistry, mostly tired and confused about what’s happening to me”

I‘m not saying either option is wrong or right, I’m not having to make that decision so it’s fine for me sit here saying that stuff. But i also think valuing our continued existence over limited time actually living sometimes does us a massive disservice.
When you've still got most of your life left to life with children keeping focused and not giving up is your priority (well it is mine) I have stage 4 incurable cancer. I live my life every 3 months knowing one day I could get that result of it's progressed meaning a change of treatment and worse side effects and another line I've had to cross out and I'm slowly moving down that ladder of being told there's no more treatments left. Any infection is worrying because of our immune systems being shot to put. We fight to stay alive each day that sometimes we know when the time to give up. I'm not saying Lizzi should give up I'm just saying that sometimes we know ourselves when to stop!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
I notice Rachel hasn't been posting about her big holiday id say she got wind of this thread and realises that her spending with and active gofund has left a sour taste !

I’m going to disagree, I think giving up is actually a very valid thing to choose. Our society frames life/death as a battle and couches it in language like ‘battle’ ‘fight’ ‘give up’ etc but actually, they co-exist.

I think they valuing of existence over everything means we push and push to keep people alive when maybe we shouldn’t.
I agree with this. I think there is a fine line between wanting to stay alive (or wanting a loved one to stay alive) and pursuing fruitless treatments; raising GFM money to line the pockets of crooks, for example.

I think some people get fixated on quantity over quality and drag out someone’s miserable last months.

I think parents fighting doctors after being given a dire prognosis are the worst of all. It perpetuates a narrative that never accepting your child’s fate is something all parents should do. Thinking of the likes of Charlie Gard and Alfie Evans especially. I hate the idea that not giving up is portrayed as the only option.

Reactions: 9
I found this video to be really powerful, apologies if this has been shared before. Donna Mason lived in a state in America that has assisted suicide. She had terminal pancreatic cancer and this is her last video before taking the solution:

The assisted suicide debate is interesting to me. From everyone’s experience here and people I know in real life, cancer takes so much from you that maybe being able to choose exactly when you go gives you the chance to make one last decision

• Sad
I found this video to be really powerful, apologies if this has been shared before. Donna Mason lived in a state in America that has assisted suicide. She had terminal pancreatic cancer and this is her last video before taking the solution:

The assisted suicide debate is interesting to me. From everyone’s experience here and people I know in real life, cancer takes so much from you that maybe being able to choose exactly when you go gives you the chance to make one last decision
What a moving video, especially the end. She seemed like a lovely lady, thanks for sharing.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

This was so moving, she was incredibly brave. My dad had a horrific death from pancreatic cancer, you wouldn’t let an animal suffer that way. Had this solution been offered to him he’d have ripped it out of their hands. We need to do better really & let people make an informed choice if that’s what they truly want.

• Heart
This was so moving, she was incredibly brave. My dad had a horrific death from pancreatic cancer, you wouldn’t let an animal suffer that way. Had this solution been offered to him he’d have ripped it out of their hands. We need to do better really & let people make an informed choice if that’s what they truly want.
I’m so sorry to hear about your Dad. The loss alone is awful without watching loved ones suffer. I completely agree, the whole assisted suicide issue needs a huge rethink and I think whenever possible, the option should be given. This lady had the opportunity to see everyone she wanted to, rehomed her horse and picked the time to take the solution in her own time. That’s priceless when far too many people are dying in horrific pain ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’m so sorry to hear about your Dad. The loss alone is awful without watching loved ones suffer. I completely agree, the whole assisted suicide issue needs a huge rethink and I think whenever possible, the option should be given. This lady had the opportunity to see everyone she wanted to, rehomed her horse and picked the time to take the solution in her own time. That’s priceless when far too many people are dying in horrific pain ❤
Thank you @Lenny 😘❤ it’s been almost 10 years now. I try not to think about the last month too much, at one point in his semi-conscious state he begged me to tell him when it would be over. If I could’ve helped him at that point i absolutely would have, no question. It’s an emotive subject & everyone has their view, but I do believe there’s a place for it.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
There absolutely is a place for assisted dying. My Mum had a brain tumour, and whilst she was in hospital during her initial diagnosis, she witnessed a young Mum screaming in pain because nothing could control her headache, with her baby in her arms. She was so upset about this she begged me not to allow her to have a drawn out painful death. I promised her I'd be her best advocate and I like to think I was. My Mum had the most peaceful death I've ever witnessed 💓 we all need to talk about dying well and having a good death, it's where we are all headed.

• Heart
Reactions: 16