Call the Midwife

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it's just Last of the Summer Wine these days.

I remember reading the books and one of the stories is when the midwives are called to a ship in the docks and the Captain's daughter lives there and is in a relationship of sorts with a range of men working on the ship. She is seen as some sort of 'service' provider but that it suits everyone. I remember the story saying her vagina was huge and loose with the implication being it was due to having sex often/with different men. From that moment I realised they were all just stories embellished from a grain of truth. Nothing wrong with that though.

Reactions: 4
He is one of the McGann brothers. They are mostly interchangeable. I think three of them are actors. My Nan lived in a house built at the end of the Second World War in a London suburb on the Kent border. It had a kitchen with the bath in with a wooden top on and you went out of the back door and into the toilet door. So as late as that they were building houses without a bathroom as a separated room. I think call the midwife shows that social change was click fingers and we all had things like indoor bathrooms and had babies in modern hospitals but I think it was actually much slower.

I remember reading the books and one of the stories is when the midwives are called to a ship in the docks and the Captain's daughter lives there and is in a relationship of sorts with a range of men working on the ship. She is seen as some sort of 'service' provider but that it suits everyone. I remember the story saying her vagina was huge and loose with the implication being it was due to having sex often/with different men. From that moment I realised they were all just stories embellished from a grain of truth. Nothing wrong with that though.
I’m sure they featured that story in the series. I don’t know whether that thing about having sex with different men makes your vagina big and baggy holds much weight medically. The implication from it I felt is that if you a loose woman as they would of seen it then you get a baggy vagina 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I’m sure they featured that story in the series. I don’t know whether that thing about having sex with different men makes your vagina big and baggy holds much weight medically. The implication from it I felt is that if you a loose woman as they would of seen it then you get a baggy vagina 🤷‍♀️
It's a good reflection of attitudes though, which is what the point was by the sounds of it

They probably wouldn't be able to call her a 'slut' but the implication is very much there

Reactions: 1
It's a good reflection of attitudes though, which is what the point was by the sounds of it

They probably wouldn't be able to call her a 'slut' but the implication is very much there
I think it's supposed to do the opposite surely? exercising a muscle? a midwife should know that. Anyway, I'll leave the vag talk there - sorry everyone.

Reactions: 1
I think it's supposed to do the opposite surely? exercising a muscle? a midwife should know that. Anyway, I'll leave the vag talk there - sorry everyone.
I mean I cannot comment on how much a midwife would know about that at a certain time period, but when you contextualise it in a historical sense I could see it being a prevailing belief even amongst most/some women, especially the older ones

If the show was contextualised like that in general we'd be hearing about this and a lot more tbh

Reactions: 2

Omg yes! That was shocking.

😆 I remember the captains daughter, she was morbidly obese and stuck in her cabin. She talked about how the men just slid off her body, that was a weird episode, her accent did my nut!
I see nurse Trixie walked straight into the doctor/consultant and gave him a piece of her mind about the D&C. Would never happen. Trixie having her ass pinched and maybe having it off with a doctor might.

Reactions: 7
😆 I remember the captains daughter, she was morbidly obese and stuck in her cabin. She talked about how the men just slid off her body, that was a weird episode, her accent did my nut!
I see nurse Trixie walked straight into the doctor/consultant and gave him a piece of her mind about the D&C. Would never happen. Trixie having her ass pinched and maybe having it off with a doctor might.
I don’t remember the captain’s daughter episode. Is it on iPlayer?

Reactions: 2
Has it got three more series at least left in it? I’m not so sure, I think it’s going to be a case of squeezing too much out of it.
We're now on series 10 and a further 3 more have been commissioned. The current series is set in 1966 so after a further 3 series the setting will be 1969. I don't know how much further the writers would be able to take it after that point as births were taking place in hospitals. I personally feel that it should end by then as it's already strayed from its original beginnings.

Genuinely shocked at this. I wonder what the viewing figures are like?
UK viewing figures were achieving 10million up to series 6 but have been dropping from series 7 onwards. Series 9 (winter/spring last year) stands at 8million. Interesting how they've been decreasing since series 7 as, for me, this is when it started to lose its shine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I didn't see this episode but i remember it from the book. She was a massive woman, they fed her up from guilt. And her dad the captain got first go on her (bleurgh) as he as captain. And he had paid a lot of money for some sort of old fashioned condoms for the whole ship of men to use. And i'm sure when chummy examined her she said a marrow would easily fit up there. Was at least a decade ago that i read it, so might not have remembered it correctly. very odd plot. and i think there was a plan to rescue her but then the ship had set sale with her and the new baby girl on board. has haunted me since

• Sick
If the series is going to continue for another 3 then they desperately need new interesting characters! The new nuns and midwives of late haven’t really done it for me.

Reactions: 5
I didn't see this episode but i remember it from the book. She was a massive woman, they fed her up from guilt. And her dad the captain got first go on her (bleurgh) as he as captain. And he had paid a lot of money for some sort of old fashioned condoms for the whole ship of men to use. And i'm sure when chummy examined her she said a marrow would easily fit up there. Was at least a decade ago that i read it, so might not have remembered it correctly. very odd plot. and i think there was a plan to rescue her but then the ship had set sale with her and the new baby girl on board. has haunted me since
The whole thing was an uncomfortable watch. One of my least favourite episodes

Reactions: 6
I thought it was better tonight in some ways, definitely preferred it to last week

Reactions: 5
I hope nothing happens to Lucille & Cyril I want them to get married and live happily.

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.