Call the Midwife

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My sister was born in 1966 and was born in a maternity home, as was my brother who was born in 1962. It's becoming a little too twee for me now. My mum says it's annoying her now, as attitudes were not that progressive, she didn't know anybody at that time who was so accepting of unmarried mothers, people of other races, abortion and even disabled children, she says even her own views were completely different to what they are now. Even when I think back to being a child in the 80s and 90s people weren't so accepting and non judgemental. I'm beginning to really hate the Turners even though I completely agree with their take on things because they are just so self righteous!

Reactions: 13
I found the scenes between the young gay son and his parents really emotive, quite naively I didn’t realise reactions to homosexuality were that intense even in 1966 🙈. It might just be me though but at the same time I’m finding everyone TOO progressive and accepting, even if there is friction it’s all resolved by The end of the episode. I like that Lucille and Cyril are getting married though. And I really like this new midwife :)

Reactions: 10
As above, it was too weird and unbelievable that the parents were so freaked out by having a homosexual son and then within a few days everything was all rosy.

Reactions: 10
I might be wrong as I was born in the 90’s and can only really go off programmes and stories I’ve heard but I couldn’t help compare the attitudes of his family & Doctor Turner to what was shown in It’s a Sin. Considering it was still illegal back then are we really supposed to believe they’d be so understanding and compassionate in the sixties.

Reactions: 15
I agree about homosexuality it all just seemed to easy that everyone was “ok” with it and didn’t reflect the harsh reality.

Liking the new midwife, and glad Lucille is engaged. Pondered what goes on during those cosy nights in Cyrill’s apartment 😮

Reactions: 7
Haha what a world Poplar was back in the day. Everyone was so Liberal, so understanding, so accepting. Quite unlike the attitude and values found everywhere at the time. Thank goodness for the Turners. I did enjoy last nights episode though.
Not sure about the Pippi Longstockings student midwife. SmJ made me laugh with child I've seen everything. More nurse Crane. The nanny's a bad witch.

Reactions: 11
Kudos to the actress who plays Nancy though she’s only been in one episode and the Daily Mail comment section are already calling for her to be sacked as it’s came out she attended the kill the bill protest.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
My sister was born in 1966 and was born in a maternity home, as was my brother who was born in 1962. It's becoming a little too twee for me now. My mum says it's annoying her now, as attitudes were not that progressive, she didn't know anybody at that time who was so accepting of unmarried mothers, people of other races, abortion and even disabled children, she says even her own views were completely different to what they are now. Even when I think back to being a child in the 80s and 90s people weren't so accepting and non judgemental. I'm beginning to really hate the Turners even though I completely agree with their take on things because they are just so self righteous!
Heidi Thomas must see things through rose tinted spectacles! I'm a child of the 70's and 80's and people were definitely not accepting even then let alone in the 60's. I had a relative who gave birth in hospital in the 60's and she was unmarried. The midwives and nurses were very nasty to her (and any unmarried mums) with spiteful comments about having a baby out of wedlock.

This show is not just as good as it was a few years ago, but it still gives the warm fuzzy feeling, and god knows we need a bit of that these days.
Almost never fails to make me weep like a small child!

Reactions: 4
I want more nurse crane tbh. I reckon there will be a main character death this series

I want more nurse crane tbh. I reckon there will be a main character death this series
I'd be fine with SMJ tbh. She's become a parody.
For the next (surely final) three series to be really good I think they need to de-twee it a bit and remember the prevailing attitudes of the day. They used to manage it without losing the Sunday night feel-good atmosphere. If they then got some a few solid and interesting main characters, sorted out the Turners (get Timothy in from Medical school?) and managed to get Chummy back for the last series it would be ace.

Reactions: 6
SMJ has served her time, I think that's the direction they're going when she helped the student. We see what an excellent midwife she was but then again they've had her at deaths door several times and she always pulls through. The abusive nanny story kis a bit predictable, could see it coming from her first tiny appearance. Maybe Tim will be gay or get a girl into "trouble" that would be good.

SMJ has served her time, I think that's the direction they're going when she helped the student. We see what an excellent midwife she was but then again they've had her at deaths door several times and she always pulls through. The abusive nanny story kis a bit predictable, could see it coming from her first tiny appearance. Maybe Tim will be gay or get a girl into "trouble" that would be good.
That's true. Maybe Dr Turner will have a mental health dip and Timothy will take over? at least that would keep him quiet for a bit. Or SMJ can keep him company and they can both pontificate all day in the sick bay.

That's true. Maybe Dr Turner will have a mental health dip and Timothy will take over? at least that would keep him quiet for a bit. Or SMJ can keep him company and they can both pontificate all day in the sick bay.
I suppose its too much to ask that they killed him off altogether. I would not cry.
I do like Timothy he's always been a child prodigy.
Why do Angela and Mae never speak? Are they ok?

Reactions: 9
I suppose its too much to ask that they killed him off altogether. I would not cry.
I think they're tight on the budget and must have to spend more on the cast if they speak. In the episode where the wife died of AML a couple of weeks ago, I noticed her parents came in to see her once they had found she was dying, sat at the back and said nothing which seemed really weird.

I think they're tight on the budget and must have to spend more on the cast if they speak. In the episode where the wife died of AML a couple of weeks ago, I noticed her parents came in to see her once they had found she was dying, sat at the back and said nothing which seemed really weird.
Thats crazy to me, you would think it would have a big budget. I'm on a sub reddit full of yanks and they love it.

Reactions: 3
Agree that SMJ has become tiresome

SMJ: "I fear I am losing my tightly held link to my divine countenance"

Sister Danielle: "I don't give a tuppenny duck"

• Haha
Reactions: 5
What was it they didn’t like about the Irish student? - I only saw the second part

i don’t think Timothy has even started medical school yet.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.