Call the Midwife

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I really wish my grandma was alive because I know she would of loved the programme but I could of asked her as she had about 11 sisters and brothers
I'd love to ask questions too, or whether it was at all accurate. I found my relatives nursing records on ancestry, she was in London..

Reactions: 2
I saw a local authority first floor flat in the late Seventies that had a bath under a wooden board in the kitchen and a toilet just outside the front door on the landing. This was in NW London. They were built about 1915. Two stories only with outside steps going up to the first floor.

Reactions: 3
I'd love to ask questions too, or whether it was at all accurate. I found my relatives nursing records on ancestry, she was in London..
I know most of what my family did and my grandparents mum and dad as we have all the records I might do it all on ancestry

I saw a local authority first floor flat in the late Seventies that had a bath under a wooden board in the kitchen and a toilet just outside the front door on the landing. This was in NW London. They were built about 1915. Two stories only with outside steps going up to the first floor.
I live in Scotland and you can see the old hospitals and that still

Reactions: 1
I think we might have seen houses s like that on the show, with the steps outside. Possibly part of the set, I think you can do a tour of the set.
@Ahahha highly recommend ancestry, its a great resource.

Reactions: 1
It was like this from the outside. Entrance to steps can be seen. Same street. Probably later than 1915 as that was during the war. 1920 or so.
A6E0B53F-87EA-40F2-8F57-E004E11A9E0D.jpeg

Reactions: 5
It’s a global hit for the BBC, they sell it to loads of countries.
My friend is from South Africa but lives in UK and her parents still live out there and are obsessed with it , she sent them the DVDs and all that. Apparently out there call the midwife, Downton Abbey etc are all really popular...

Reactions: 3
They are making out in this series as though living conditions and health care is all good. Gone is the blue grainy filter and now everything is bathed in a yellow glow. Not everyone lived so well. It’s as if a switch has been flicked and people are living with beautiful soft furnishings and teal walls.
I too wish they’d stayed longer in the 50’s, I feel there would have been more stories.

Reactions: 11
The writer's little girl voice and twee attitude on the show about the making of CTM was really annoying. I don't get why they created a little bubble of liberalism in 1960s London when we all know it wasn't like that at all? I understand that's not the point but they could at least include some of the prejudice and sexism of the day. As it is, it's make believe.

Reactions: 10
The writer's little girl voice and twee attitude on the show about the making of CTM was really annoying. I don't get why they created a little bubble of liberalism in 1960s London when we all know it wasn't like that at all? I understand that's not the point but they could at least include some of the prejudice and sexism of the day. As it is, it's make believe.
Completely agree, they touched on racism a little and were quite sensitive but everybody learned from the experience and they all lived happily ever after.
They tackled grittier issues early on in the series, maybe its because its pre watershed or a "family" show 🤔.
Anyway there is no way that a doctor was listening to a nurse or midwife in that era. None. We never see those attitudes just lovely earnest dr Turner.

And also when I watched it back Trixie is a virgin.

Reactions: 8
Completely agree, they touched on racism a little and were quite sensitive but everybody learned from the experience and they all lived happily ever after.
They tackled grittier issues early on in the series, maybe its because its pre watershed or a "family" show 🤔.
Anyway there is no way that a doctor was listening to a nurse or midwife in that era. None. We never see those attitudes just lovely earnest dr Turner.

And also when I watched it back Trixie is a virgin.
Dr Turner and Shelagh have turned into CBeebies characters these days. The worst you see of them is mild exasperation. Dr Turner must have been the only doctor to be sympathetic to mental health in the 1960s. He should be Sainted.

Reactions: 15
Dr Turner and Shelagh have turned into CBeebies characters these days. The worst you see of them is mild exasperation. Dr Turner must have been the only doctor to be sympathetic to mental health in the 1960s. He should be Sainted.
And taking pains to explain patients conditions too, haha don't make me laugh. The hospital doctors on the show are way more accurate. Its a ridiculous portrayal 😆

Reactions: 6
My friend is from South Africa but lives in UK and her parents still live out there and are obsessed with it , she sent them the DVDs and all that. Apparently out there call the midwife, Downton Abbey etc are all really popular...
This answers a lot. Of course they won’t be showing the bad sides of a country when it has an international audience, even if that audience is aware of Britain’s history

Britain as a country generally loves to ignore a lot of past views that weren’t sunshine and rainbows too, even if they were normal at the time. That especially goes for history

I think it’s very odd that the writer has her husband as The GP. It’s bugging me more and more because he and his acting is really annoying me now.

He can’t act. And he’s in it more and more now. At the beginning he played a second part to the midwives

Reactions: 6
The writing is pretty awful now as are the storylines. The original series were based on the books so they had an authenticity but I’m struggling with some of the nonsense now. It feels like a tick box exercise to shoe-horn in a relevant social/societal issue of the time to show historical accuracy never mind if it fits with the setting or the characters.

Reactions: 7
If you haven’t read the books , do look for them. I enjoyed them.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.