Call the Midwife

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I enjoyed the new episode - it’s so much better now that Valerie’s gone - but it still just misses the mark for me compared to the earlier seasons. It used to have such charm while still feeling authentic but the past few years it’s all just felt so forced. Oh and of course Dr Turner is still a sanctimonious twit.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I’m very glad my comment reignited the old thread lol. Yes the episode was a HUGE improvement on the Xmas one, and the storyline does help open the conversation about stillborn and infant death. I always cry at a few points in the series, and deffo shed tears at the recent episode

Reactions: 3
I must say I always enjoy them exploring the historical aspects of everything. Not sure how realistic it all really is within the drama but they seem to base their stories on actual events that took place and the aftermath of those events and learning that it happened in general is very interesting imo

Die hard fan of CTM but I agree its gone a bit stale. A character always delivers a monologue with a moral message, feels a bit preachy. Trixie is flirting with husbands. I don't really get the point of the two newbie nuns. We need more Phyllis. My children love MJ, I do not but I let it slide cos she's ancient.
Bring back Chummy etc, they don't really need to stick to the book now, is old Jenny still doing the narration?
I still haven't recovered from Sister Evangelinas death after all these years.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I watched the Churchill death episode again recently, didn't like it. They had Fred and Violet on TV at the funeral which I thought was a bit twee even for CTM, then they sort of cycled through the years with a montage until they arrived at mini skirts. Hopefully this season is better, I'm trying to understand the relationship between those two male neighbours in the last episode. Is it going to be another gay relationship thing?

What did we think of the latest episode? I’m getting quite bored of it all now tbh. I cba with the constant lectures and smug platitudes. I don’t want to be preached at I want a bit of escapism. They want to address controversial or gritty issues but it’s never realistic, like the woman having another man’s baby got all the sympathy and understanding but her husband was portrayed as an awful monster until he magically decided to accept the little guy? There’s no balance and it all just feels very dumbed down.

Reactions: 10
I find the way they introduce any sort of issue quite naive really. It's never the main characters that exhibit any sort of lack of tolerance at all yet we all know the majority did in those days.

Reactions: 7
These are now all now made-up stories as the stories from the books by Jennifer Worth ran out a long time ago. They are beginning to wear thin. The GP doctor’s smugness is off the charts. Trixie should have kept her mouth shut.

I've taken to watching old episodes, was so bored with last nights I almost switched off. Its a shame as it was a superb show. I'm hoping SMJ gets killed off this season. I presume Trixie will get with the widow and the private hospital will be involved in a scandal, I mean its about time something good happened for her but its all tied up in much sadness and pain. The Turners are sickly sweet "oh Patrick!"

Reactions: 12
I think Trixie will find a husband in the new hospital and somehow end up in charge too. Hopefully Timothy can start helping out his Dad and put him off to pasture asap. Bump off SMJ and bring in a couple of new ones then it might be good again.

Reactions: 4
Jeepers so late to this but Nurse Patsy only went and won an Oscar last night for best original screenplay.

Reactions: 7
On a more positive note, Trixie looks fabulous and her style has really been the one constant throughout the entire series. I’d dress like this every day if I could :love:.
E83A14F0-2243-4C8B-8575-B030537775D2.jpeg
462B4F28-AED6-421A-A62A-8BA090BD2D1F.jpeg
DB6B0152-6A11-43F2-A384-68677C940E27.jpeg
C7C4FDF9-D58A-402A-8A31-27B386909CC6.jpeg
242111A8-9F56-453B-ACE4-7C3BBCD94129.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I hope that Trixie bumps into the widowed husband from last night again (after an appropriate period of time has passed, of course!) and that they get together. He's her type and they had chemistry, plus she'd be a great mum to the little boy, especially after having delivered him! Poor Trixie really needs a happy ending soon.

Reactions: 12
I thought last night I bet Trixie & the widow will probably end up together or have some sort of moment.
I’ll be honest though whilst it’s a better than the Christmas special I’m not enjoying it as much as I used to.
I think it’s starting to run it’s course now I haven’t thought it was the same after Sister Evangeline died.

I thought last night I bet Trixie & the widow will probably end up together or have some sort of moment.
I’ll be honest though whilst it’s a better than the Christmas special I’m not enjoying it as much as I used to.
I think it’s starting to run it’s course now I haven’t thought it was the same after Sister Evangeline died.
I have to agree, once the original characters started to leave it lost something for me. I think it was knowing they were based on real people and real stories made it special. More recent additions seem too good to be true sometimes and are not as flawed and real. Though I adored Barbara and was devastated when she died 😭

I watched a documentary on the BBC iPlayer with Stephen McGann in it about the making of it. The writer was on it and if you listen to her and the way she speaks you will understand why the dialogue is so twee and stilted. The woman who provides the midwifery advice who is a professor of midwifery said that she had to change a lot of the medical details in Jennifer Worths stories because they were not correct. She had misremembered. It’s quite good if you can stomach a full hour of Stephen Mcganns worthiness!

Is it me or
I've taken to watching old episodes, was so bored with last nights I almost switched off. Its a shame as it was a superb show. I'm hoping SMJ gets killed off this season. I presume Trixie will get with the widow and the private hospital will be involved in a scandal, I mean its about time something good happened for her but its all tied up in much sadness and pain. The Turners are sickly sweet "oh Patrick!"
I might cry if smj died honestly love her also I think trixie is going to go off with that guy for some strange reason

Reactions: 2
I watched a documentary on the BBC iPlayer with Stephen McGann in it about the making of it. The writer was on it and if you listen to her and the way she speaks you will understand why the dialogue is so twee and stilted. The woman who provides the midwifery advice who is a professor of midwifery said that she had to change a lot of the medical details in Jennifer Worths stories because they were not correct. She had misremembered. It’s quite good if you can stomach a full hour of Stephen Mcganns worthiness!
The writer, Heidi Thomas, is married to Stephen McGann. They seem as worthy as each other.

Reactions: 1
Is it me or

I might cry if smj died honestly love her also I think trixie is going to go off with that guy for some strange reason
I would probably cry too, but she needs to go, she has a great back story though. Love Trixie she's the only original midwife left isn't she, not sure what happened to sister Mary Cynthia.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.