Call the Midwife

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Read today that the new series starts later in April. I hope it’s better than the Christmas special which was clunky and boring. The haberdashery turned into a newsagent with no explanation too

Reactions: 3
Read today that the new series starts later in April. I hope it’s better than the Christmas special which was clunky and boring. The haberdashery turned into a newsagent with no explanation too
I can’t even remember what happened in the Christmas special it was so bad 😬

Reactions: 2
I thought the Christmas special when they went to some sort of Isle of Skye-type place absolute codswallop. It was so contrived it was like the A-Team for Nuns.
Dr Turner is a serious cheesemonger but I like the show. I think the writer needs to get one or two more rounded characters for sure.

Also, who cooks their meals and who looks after the kids when Dr Turner and Shelagh are in work? (yes, I have given this too much thought)

Reactions: 6
I rather enjoyed the Christmas episode for some reason, though I find the episodes to be predictable most of the time so I have probably lowered by standards a whole lot just because I like the series

Reactions: 1
Loved the isle of sky scenery but totally nuts premise as the one where they travelled to Africa.
Trixie is in such a rut---she is in the same job and same situation with career, family, etc as when the series started. I can hardly imagine a storyline left to explore, the actress should have left after the alcoholism arc.
Overall, I haven't really connected with any of the newer nurses. Lucille, whose name I just had to google is way too bland. Is it bad writing where they just have the BIPOC character and they pat themselves on the back for that and don't write for her any personality or anything to do? I thought Barbara was quite bland as well but her tragic ending made her whole story more interesting.

Reactions: 4
I’ve got a soft spot for Lucille, hopefully some new characters this series. They’ve been renewed to season 13 😮

Trixie definitely needs some development!

Reactions: 5
I’ve got a soft spot for Lucille, hopefully some new characters this series. They’ve been renewed to season 13 😮

Trixie definitely needs some development!
I read a while back, pre covid, that this was the last series. I’ve loved Call The Midwife, it’s been heartwarming and a lovely series. But I felt that the last series and the Christmas special wasn’t as charming and quite boring. Sometimes it can be too much of a good thing and it’s best to stop at the top. However I hope I’m wrong and this series will be as good as it’s been previously.

I think Trixie will either get a guy this season or go off and burn her bra and Lucille will marry her bf - maybe a double wedding. They can have Dr Turner's son join him in the practice in a few years (isn't he in medical school or have I made that up?) so at least poor Dr Turner won't have to be on duty 24/7 and attend to every single emergency in Poplar.

Only just discovered this thread. Good to see that there's honest and balanced opinions about Call the Midwife. I've been a fan since the start and read all the books but I do feel it's run its course. For me, it's gone off the boil since series 7 onwards. The early series had a good mix of rawness and sentiment but I now feel that it's too sentimental. Every scene is accompanied by emotional background music whereas in the early series it was only used where necessary. I usually like new characters but I couldn't take to Valerie, Lucille or Sergeant Woolf but glad two of them have now gone.

Reactions: 9
I’m hoping for signs of some interesting storylines being set up in tonight’s episode.

Reactions: 1
I really enjoyed tonight’s episode, hope the rest of the series is just as good!

I agree with others that the last Christmas special was dull, and that recent series have lost their appeal, however I did enjoy this first episode of the new series. The problem for me is I think the current midwives (with the exception of Phyllis) are a bit dull and have been since Barbara left. I quite like the nuns (except sister MJ who must be about 105 now). It used to be that I was guaranteed to cry during an episode but for the last couple of series I've felt that they were trying too hard to tug at the heart strings.

Reactions: 7
Sister MJ irritates the hell out of me and still did last night 😆

but given how strong her beliefs are i’m interested to see where they’ll take this storyline with her having lost faith.

Although by this point I just want them to kill her off, evil cold witch that I am 😆

Reactions: 7
The show has definitely lost a lot of it's spark, but I'm still enjoying it.

Had to roll my eyes last night at Dr Turners 'outburst' to sister Julienne - they've made the guy far too perfect

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Watched last night's episode which was good but still no explanation of Fred's newsagents. It seems to have come from nowhere. I don't recall any plans for him to have his own shop. One thing about this drama is that it makes viewers cry. Even when I re-watch the early series, they always get me every time even though I know what's coming but the last few series have failed to make me cry. Either something is missing or the writing has been too focused on sentimentality.

I thought last nights episode was a big improvement on the Xmas episode. The baby passing away was truly moving. I can’t think of a more devastating thing to happen to a couple and it was done well with a tragic back story. Certain characters are still sickly sweet and you wish something Interesting would happen to them. In the books sister MJ did live to very old age can’t remember how old though lol

It looks much better than the Christmas series and it’s incredibly heartwarming. Even the music makes me feel... ahhh! though I agree that Dr Turner and his wife Sheila seriously grate. I’ve always found his acting quite poor and his storylines contrived. Heidi Thomas is his wife so I’m guessing he has quite a bit of say in everything. I saw a documentary once and he was one of the main speakers on how the series came about

There was a repeat ‘special’ last night on BBC Four after the episode finished. It was hosted by Dr. Turner!Stephen McGann, Mr. Ernest himself. First broadcast in 2017.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.