Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm liking Nurse Highland put of the new ones the best ... She'd make a good matron, maybe the storyline will follow her to the hospital eventually

Reactions: 3
They fitted them in new cars from around 1967 but werent compulsory to be worn til the 80s
When I was a kid in the early 70s we never wore them.

I used to love CTM but the pretence that the 60s were a time of tolerance to mixed race couples, disabled children, single mothers, working women and recently arrived immigrants with limited English in recent series is absurd.

I posted on the Rosie Jones thread saying she would have been put into care from birth. If she had any integrity, she would have refused the role.

Who benefits from this stupid saccharine reimaging? I don’t think it helps marginalised people at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I posted on the Rosie Jones thread saying she would have been put into care from birth. If she had any integrity, she would have refused the role.
Not necessarily, there was a woman living locally to me in the 70s who was defo brought up by her parents as she still lived with them. She didn’t have a family of her own though and was assumed to be simple even though I think her disability was physical not mental.

Reactions: 4
A woman with cerebral palsy could have become pregnant at that time but it would have been an abuse situation as opposed to them depicting her as having a good looking boyfriend with far more liberal principles than you’d even find in this day and age.

Reactions: 15
Not necessarily, there was a woman living locally to me in the 70s who was defo brought up by her parents as she still lived with them. She didn’t have a family of her own though and was assumed to be simple even though I think her disability was physical not mental.
It was very rare though and as you say, there would have been an assumption she would have been mentally impaired. She wouldn’t have been in mainstream school and left alone with a man long enough to have a relationship and have had sex with him several times

Reactions: 5

This is a difficult read as it details how disabled people were treated, within living memory.

I worked in a care setting in the late 90s and we had a male service user who was in his 60s. He had been institutionalised as a small child and lived in horrendous conditions until he was in his 40s. Even after living in a community setting for 20 odd years, he gulped down boiling hot drinks and wolfed down his food because if he didn't eat and drink fast he thought they would be taken away because in the institution he was in, when someone came round with the food they were followed closely by someone clearing up. He was very nervous and anxious and always darted his eyes round a room before he entered it. If a new carer came in they had to be accompanied by someone he knew or he couldn't cope. There was lots of abuse back then. I hate the sugar coating and the falsifying of history. I'm woke, I love a woke storyline in a contemporary drama but the 60s weren't woke. FFS, even the 90s, 00s and to some extent even the 10s weren't woke.

• Sad
Reactions: 21

This is a difficult read as it details how disabled people were treated, within living memory.

I worked in a care setting in the late 90s and we had a male service user who was in his 60s. He had been institutionalised as a small child and lived in horrendous conditions until he was in his 40s. Even after living in a community setting for 20 odd years, he gulped down boiling hot drinks and wolfed down his food because if he didn't eat and drink fast he thought they would be taken away because in the institution he was in, when someone came round with the food they were followed closely by someone clearing up. He was very nervous and anxious and always darted his eyes round a room before he entered it. If a new carer came in they had to be accompanied by someone he knew or he couldn't cope. There was lots of abuse back then. I hate the sugar coating and the falsifying of history. I'm woke, I love a woke storyline in a contemporary drama but the 60s weren't woke. FFS, even the 90s, 00s and to some extent even the 10s weren't woke.
Gosh that article is sobering to read. So sad

Reactions: 2
I'm so desperate for a prequel series about Sister Monica Joan's early life as a nun and her and the other nuns working through World War 2!

Reactions: 21
I'm so desperate for a prequel series about Sister Monica Joan's early life as a nun and her and the other nuns working through World War 2!
Yes definitely I remember them saying she was one of the first midwives to ever qualify in England I think in the first episode they mention it...
---
I am definitely going to go back and watch the earlier seasons they cannot be beaten. I still remember characters such as the Spanish lady with 20 kids, the Irish girl Mary, the lady that has a mixed baby with a white husband, the lady who had syphilis. I could not tell you any of the most recent characters. These I just remembered off the top of my head. First few seasons can't be topped .

Reactions: 18
The early seasons were the best.
On a rewatch
I've just got to where sister bernadette becomes sheilagh.

Reactions: 6
I think it would be best if they scrapped the current Call the Midwife and made a prequel with the nuns in the war, it would be so much better and give new life to a very tired show that feels like it is just limping on now

Reactions: 15
That article is heart-breaking, the hidden abuse of disabled children through history - what a cruel and miserable life they endured.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
If they kill off Fred before Sister Monica Joan 😤
That ominous music over the cut, he better not get tetanus or sepsis!

Reactions: 4
If they kill off Fred before Sister Monica Joan 😤
That ominous music over the cut, he better not get tetanus or sepsis!
Feeling ill, dodgy cut...

Bet Turner has a miracle cure for that.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.