Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

MissPrint

VIP Member
You’ve missed out a major part of the storyline.
Not only does Dr Turner perform the heart transplant, he is the actual donor too. That man is remarkable! Super Doc saves the day again! 😜😆
Whilst Sheila wrings her hands and sighs in exasperation as she looks wistfully at her husband whilst simultaneously knitting blankets for the local orphanage and boiling the piss of the entire pregnant women of the East End to test for diabetes.

Meanwhile Sister MJ will be staring at a television and sideways glancing at children in worry over a handpicked 1969 news item, whilst Sister Julienne stands in the hallway smiling inanely at nothing and none of the actual midwives are called to do any midwifery whatsoever.

In a background storyline, Cyril and Trixie’s husband do something irrelevant and Trixie wears a dress and says one line.

#CallTheTurners

• Haha
Reactions: 19

Shesaidwhat?

VIP Member
I’m sure they’re setting Timothy up to be gay which means Dr Turner will be off to America leading the Stonewall riots.

• Haha

bugeyeboo

Not much to say about the show- though I’ve followed it for years and love it- just thought you’d like to know that Helen George/Trixie and Jack Ashton/Rev Tom live in my East London neighbourhood and seem lovely in real life. I spot them holding hands around town. Mostly see Jack doing things like the nursery run or playground time, I assume as Helen had to film the series. That’s it, that’s my tea. Just a nice sweet family.

• Heart

Libbylulu

VIP Member
The previous series were filmed looking gritty and dark. Now Poplar is bathed in a golden glow. The music is chirpy and happy. It’s certainly shifted from the more real storylines to the saccharine episodes which are tied up with a bow. There have been some terrific characters over the years and unfortunately newcomers aren’t set up realistically. I for one can’t stand the Nancy/ Colette storyline as it’s jarring and unrealistic, so the characters grate.
Im not sure what the progmme is meant to be anymore. There’s nobody we can root for, as they all get their happy ever after,not giving us time to show hardships.

Reactions: 18

Jumpindesia

VIP Member
I'm so desperate for a prequel series about Sister Monica Joan's early life as a nun and her and the other nuns working through World War 2!
Yes definitely I remember them saying she was one of the first midwives to ever qualify in England I think in the first episode they mention it...
---
I am definitely going to go back and watch the earlier seasons they cannot be beaten. I still remember characters such as the Spanish lady with 20 kids, the Irish girl Mary, the lady that has a mixed baby with a white husband, the lady who had syphilis. I could not tell you any of the most recent characters. These I just remembered off the top of my head. First few seasons can't be topped .

I feel like the last couple of series start strong but by episode 5 or so run out of steam.
I felt kind of meh to Trixies wedding and to Trixie this whole season. Would of been nice to see some old faces at her wedding since she is the only remaining midwife from the start.
I don't think Trixie will be in much of the next season as the actress that plays her, is on tour with The King and I for most of the year.....that's one long honeymoon!!
I saw her in The King & I last week. She was excellent and has a beautiful singing voice. I chatted with her afterwards. She is tiny and now has long dark hair. She was very delicate & pretty and thanked us all for coming to see it.

• Heart

Blair-Waldorf

VIP Member
I can’t get over them just standing up and shelagh saying let’s get changed and go the wedding after witnessing a woman die and hero turner performing a c section in the fucking street like please

• Haha

Emsie

VIP Member
I'm sad about Lucille. They started a storyline about strikes that were tinged with racism but didn't develop it anymore.
I feel like this series has been all over the place.
Looks like we will get some new blood for the next series though.

Reactions: 17

hogwartsgraduate

Chatty Member
I thought Trixie's brother was refreshing addition, I think we may see more of him and perhaps the other brother that was mentioned but we never saw? I was half expecting an appearance in that respect

Loubywoobywoo

Chatty Member
I now call the show “Call Dr Turner”!
It’s a shame so many characters keep leaving, especially ones I’ve got attached to ( Patsy, Val, Mary Cynthia, Sister Frances) and the storylines are less gritty. The season with the abortion arc was probably one of the darkest one, and the reveal who the backstreet abortionist was a total shock to me.
I don’t miss Lucille that much but wish she’d had a proper send-off/an exit that made sense. I’d have punched her if she called me precious while in labour, as well as Trixie calling me sweetie.
Give me more Nurse Crane ( I thought I was going to hate her in her first episode, she was so bossy!) and Miss Higgins saving the day/being awesome though they are so very different. I would watch a spin-off of them over the the twee Turner family any day of the week.

• Heart

Loubywoobywoo

Chatty Member
I really can’t stand Sheila & her kids! She’s such a twee, sickly character. I loved her as a nun but her voice grates on me now. And the kids are always front & centre at every event!
Yes, I despise her “Oh, Patrick!” ( when he cures polio/decides to adopt all the orphans in Poplar/single-handedly delivers sextuplets while driving the mother to hospital/saves the world) and his “Your mother is a remarkable woman!” that both get trotted out far too often for my liking and make me want to throw up in my mouth! Also, Timothy calling her Mum annoys me so much, I think her first name would be much better.

• Haha

Tea Cosy

It's lost it's magic. You are spot on about Nancy, the mixed race baby but also Trixie's gay brother would not be so open about his sexuality! Being gay was illegal back then. I couldn't be bothered to get to the end of the episode. I've lost any interest in sister MJ (she has been a dull back story for years and to focus an Xmas special on the death thoughts of an elderly woman really is a stretch). They have stopped concentrating on the mother's and the stories of real people, which is typical of todays writers and the over woke BBC in general trying to re-write reality, the show is suffering because of it. What on earth the point of Nurse Crane even being in the episode, complete waste of a decent actress.
I found myself looking at the clock thinking "is it getting near the end yet?" As for Sister Monica Joan, I hope it is her last Christmas. Her character stopped being of any value many years ago. Sadly all period dramas are going the same way, history is rewritten to satisfy the woke box-ticking criteria.

• Sad

CBP

That hospital scene was the most terrible acting I’ve ever seen in my life?! Ain’t they embarrassed to be showing the world that? 🫠 I dunno where to look
---
I’m surprised May ain’t tryna drown herself in the jug of water after coming round to those 2 drippy faces

Last edited:
  • Haha

Maggie Moggy

VIP Member
Definitely got the feeling they were going there with the way they had him fix her bike (as weird as that sounds lol).
Didn't he meet Lucille when he fixed her car? It must be his pick-up technique. 😉
---
Are we not allowed to mention the ugly, discredited S-word in connection with cerebral palsy, because that was how it would have been referred to in 1969, even by medical professionals. The charity Scope only changed their title from The S******s Society in 1994. I don't blame the programme makers for not using it but I'm one of those nitpicky types who pick up on details, and CTM does pride itself on its realism.

Last edited: