Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Aussie

VIP Member
Lucille broke my heart. I know what's it like to be at rock bottom & be thousands of miles from your home country. You crave the familiarity of what you know.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 15

Lizzie Mintdrop

VIP Member
Last night was another unrealistic episode. I think even now most men would be slightly annoyed if their wife of 16 years had a child they didn't know about

xvictoriax

My mum got pregnant in 1961 and she had to get married. There was simply no question of her having the child and keeping it so she got married and had to stay married even though her husband was awful.

My dad got a girl pregnant in 1968 and her family would not allow her and my dad to get married, for religious reasons. The girl was Indian, my dad's family weren't totally accepting of the mixed relationship but would have supported a marriage, which they both wanted. Her family locked her in a room until she was ready to go into an unmarried mother's home where she was forced to give the baby up. It really annoys me that they give the 60s the chocolate box treatment, no one was that accepting. It must have been an awful time to be alive, in many ways

I love CTM but as you and others have stated it was still a very different time, sadly there was still prejudice towards unmarried mothers and it rang so untrue that the mother of the teenager would have been so keen to have her and the baby. If anything it would have likely been them pressuring for the adoption of the baby. At times they do sugar coat things to the point it becomes unrealistic. It would have been different if the parents were slightly hippy or unconventional but they appeared very conservative, professional and no doubt worried what the neighbours might say.

Lizzie Mintdrop

VIP Member
The rate the go through actors it makes me think is the set a nice place to work!?
I think the way characters are written out is bad, which kind of shows the writers don't really care for the character, the actor or the audience. Even Trixie's wedding wasn't given focus. Why have a crash and a death on the day one of the main characters is getting married?

petitspois

VIP Member
Yeah, It's way too cutesy now. It's a poor area, the storylines should reflect the hardships of the time. I agree about Cyril - maybe he's going to be angst ridden for two episodes then get together with the new midwife. He was gagging to oil her chain.

• Haha

Emsie

VIP Member
I have a feeling Trixie might be leaving after this series.
Good. She's getting on my nerves now. Her little airhead girl personality just doesn't wash anymore.
Nurse crane is just the best isn't she. The woman can do no wrong. Only right things. She is just always right.

• Heart

petitspois

VIP Member
A woman with cerebral palsy could have become pregnant at that time but it would have been an abuse situation as opposed to them depicting her as having a good looking boyfriend with far more liberal principles than you’d even find in this day and age.

Just popped on to say that after not getting through the Xmas special or the first episode, I think this season is going to be rubbish. The show has completely moved on from the heart of what made it an excellent show. I'm just not interested in Nancy or the new girls or even Trixie's marriage to Mr Dullard. The Turner's are so sickly sweet it's repellent. I'm certainly not interested in the over bombastic new nuns they keep bringing in and I've never though Sister MJ was a great character. A great shame they couldn't keep personal progressive politics out of a non-political period show.

Emsie

VIP Member
I found it annoying how colette was such the star of the show. I don't want to see the kids, show me the midwives please.

Yeah and she stayed there and is working out there ….
---
---
That's a shame I really liked Lucile! I don't really like Nancy, she is just a side character to me and should stay that way too. I always thought Lucile fitted in very very well. Overall I think the show is not as good as it once was? The characters are becoming bland and the stories don't seem to be as real as they once were?

Trixie has lost her sparkle and I can't stand that over earnest fiancé of hers. The show needs good characters like Nurse Crane, Sister Frances and Lucile, especially with the nuns getting older and them being able to only summon boring battle-axes from the Mother House.

Tea Cosy

Why did Matthew need putting up for the night? Why didn't he go home to his baby son?

50sGirl

VIP Member
Dr Turner's next storyline will be about him being bi, possibly the first bi Dr because he's a trailblazer
He gets caught in bed with Matthew so Trixie dumps him which is why he’s written out of the show.
Dr Turner remains in the show because Sheila had her usual reaction of “Oh Patrick!” 😜

• Haha

Tea Cosy

It bugs me how older Jenny is still the voice when she left years ago.
The early series with Jenny's character are currently being shown on the Drama channel. As those series were based on her memoirs, the characters were real people so at the end of all those episodes, the narration was an update on what happened to that real-life person. The narration then was much more appropriate to the episodes - unlike today where it comes across as a syrupy verse read from a greeting card.

Glaschelle

VIP Member
I’m bored with Nancy and Collette 😴
As someone who grew up in a single parent/only child family in the 1970s, it wasn't the lovely, all accepting community as portrayed on CTM

It was actually still quite harsh.

It is a drama - not real life. But it does annoy me!!!

I think it would be best if they scrapped the current Call the Midwife and made a prequel with the nuns in the war, it would be so much better and give new life to a very tired show that feels like it is just limping on now

Emxxx

VIP Member
As someone who grew up in a single parent/only child family in the 1970s, it wasn't the lovely, all accepting community as portrayed on CTM

It was actually still quite harsh.

It is a drama - not real life. But it does annoy me!!!
I said to my husband. The nuns would NEVER have allowed a single parent and her child live in the house.