Call The Midwife #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember that one, he was dieing and they only had each other, living in a prefab (?) home.
I think the brother and sister who lived together had grown up in a workhouse, at least that’s what they went through in the book.

Reactions: 7
Yes! And Jenny was disgusted by a lot of the people in Poplar’s living arrangements too and had to be brought down a peg or 2 by sister Julien. More true to the books. They’ve really strayed too far.

The only story in recent years that had an element of the good old days content was Nancy pulling the meth drinkers foot off.

• Sick
Reactions: 8
Yes! And Jenny was disgusted by a lot of the people in Poplar’s living arrangements too and had to be brought down a peg or 2 by sister Julien. More true to the books. They’ve really strayed too far.
The early series with Jenny were so much better because they were based on her memoirs, therefore contained more accuracy of what social attitudes were like back then. I find with each new series it's getting more and more inaccurate - the recent series was set in 1968 but it had the social and moral attitudes of 2023.

Reactions: 12
The early series with Jenny were so much better because they were based on her memoirs, therefore contained more accuracy of what social attitudes were like back then. I find with each new series it's getting more and more inaccurate - the recent series was set in 1968 but it had the social and moral attitudes of 2023.
It's more woke than the current attitudes of people who were alive in 1968, especially if you read Facebook comments on articles about race and sexuality. I'm thinking we might get a trans person next series and Dr Turner will prescribe hormone therapy for them.

The previous series were filmed looking gritty and dark. Now Poplar is bathed in a golden glow. The music is chirpy and happy. It’s certainly shifted from the more real storylines to the saccharine episodes which are tied up with a bow. There have been some terrific characters over the years and unfortunately newcomers aren’t set up realistically. I for one can’t stand the Nancy/ Colette storyline as it’s jarring and unrealistic, so the characters grate.
Im not sure what the progmme is meant to be anymore. There’s nobody we can root for, as they all get their happy ever after,not giving us time to show hardships.

Reactions: 18
I’ve started again from the beginning. There were some very dark storylines and I swear I cry at every episode. Dr. Turner has just prescribed thalidomide for the first time…

I actually want this just to look all twee on my cookbook shelf. I feel no shame.

• Haha
Just finished the latest series. It’s a shame none of the previous midwife actresses couldn’t have been persuaded back to go to Trixie’s wedding. Dr Turner annoyed me less this time. Shelagh has taken over the baton. I think it’s her exaggerated hand gestures, like she’s a puppet.

I saw the stage show of Steel Magnolias last week. Shelagh plays the Sally Field character. One of the audience members sadly fell ill, looked like a stroke. I was half expecting her too rush out to help. Luckily the ambulance arrived in minutes to help.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I saw the stage show of Steel Magnolias last week. Shelagh plays the Sally Field character. One of the audience members sadly fell ill, looked like a stroke. I was half expecting her too rush out to help. Luckily the ambulance arrived in minutes to help.
Someone get Patrick.

• Haha
Shelagh has taken over the baton. I think it’s her exaggerated hand gestures, like she’s a puppet.
For a long time, Shelagh has reminded me of the Thunderbird puppets because she tends to hold her forearms at a 90° angle at her elbows. The hand gestures are very exaggerated and I don’t know why she does this as it seems so unnecessary.

• Haha
  • Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.