Caitlin Moran #2 She’s just insulting everyone’s intelligence now

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Not unrelated, she popped up on Threads within two minutes of me signing up and was the first person I muted on there

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I don’t like their new gig as much as I did Fortunately. Maybe I’m misremembering but with Fortunately the guests were just on to chat and were rarely promoting anything, whereas the new podcast all the guests are promoting something. I guess it’s because the interviews are just cut from their radio show.

Also the adverts, but that’s not their fault. I do find Jane’s anti-men schtick wearing at times. Appreciated she got quite publicly cheated on by Adrian Chiles (I think) but she seems to have a very low opinion of men.
Agree it’s not nearly as good as Fortunately. I use it to get to sleep and it works very quickly.

I prefer Jane to Fi but find both of them very annoying knee jerk liberals at times. Eg I just know they will have been all over CM without any thought as to whether her book is really any good. When they have a Labour politician on they are such fangirls, and if they have to interview someone GC, or - worse - right wing, the sneering can be heard loud and clear down the line. It’s like aural Twitter.

Also they always love their employer in a rather annoying way. They used to be so pro BBC, and now they go on and on about the Times and how everyone and everything there is great.

I find Jane Mulkerrins has an awful voice and tone, and Louise Minchin drove me mad with her giggling.

But I like them too, and find them a comforting, unthreatening listen. Thinking of which I need to find my AirPods as it’s time for bed.

Reactions: 5

Not unrelated, she popped up on Threads within two minutes of me signing up and was the first person I muted on there
That quote is incredible really and the person retweeting her is right. None of the blokes she hangs around with will be into football, which just shows how narrow her world view is. She has done literally zero research in anything that matters for this book.

Reactions: 17
She is a very self centred person - all of her columns and books are about how she experiences something or how if affects her. It makes all her writing the same. She wrote about eating disorders as a mother of someone suffering (had never done so before and hasn’t really since as hopefully her daughter is better now), she writes about music as someone who wrote for NME and has never moved forward, she writes about women only as she experiences life, now everything is menopause. Same for men. I know ‘lived experience’ is fashionable but actual talented writers can look at many different points of view. She is either incapable or lazy. She has coasted at the times for years, and is probably vastly overpaid.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
She is a very self centred person - all of her columns and books are about how she experiences something or how if affects her. It makes all her writing the same. She wrote about eating disorders as a mother of someone suffering (had never done so before and hasn’t really since as hopefully her daughter is better now), she writes about music as someone who wrote for NME and has never moved forward, she writes about women only as she experiences life, now everything is menopause. Same for men. I know ‘lived experience’ is fashionable but actual talented writers can look at many different points of view. She is either incapable or lazy. She has coasted at the times for years, and is probably vastly overpaid.
She’s just a narcissist from a different era

Reactions: 8
Cannot "like" this comment enough. The trend of valuing lived experience over genuine expertise, or you know, both, is one that needs to get in the bin.

I've had so many conversations around race/ethnicity/skin colour on this subject, the NHS in London is exceptionally diverse but the general consensus of every colleague of mine is "stop trying to write The Definitive Book on prejudice thanks" and I wholeheartedly agree, as a Traveller, as a woman, just as a human, make more room for not having a bleeping opinion.
It's really acceptable to hear many, many voices before you are confident enough to develop a perspective.
(Special mention to Robin DiAngelo here, as one white woman to another, please stop talking and start listening, tx)

Reactions: 21
Completely agree with you both. Activism and opinion and people's reflections on their own experiences are important to consider as part of a broader picture, and fascinating on a number of levels. But what a mess we get into when we let a few people high on their own farts and lacking in intellectual rigour hold sway over public services. And by intellectual rigour, I mean thinking things through to a number of possible outcomes, not being elitist here. I'd say common sense, but I think that's an outdated concept as well.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I just saw a clip of the interview with Fi Glover and Jane Garvey (who I can't stand tbh. Highly overrated as an interviewer). Wtf are they all on?
They all find it really wierd men never fantasise about giving birth. Eh?
Men are so jealous of women's superpower of being able to give birth, it is why they become so obsessed with sport.
Yes three grown women, apparently intelligent, all agreed with this.

• Wow
Reactions: 13
Lol they are completely relieved they’re in no danger of that major design flaw coming anywhere near them. Nor the attendant process that blights us.

Reactions: 6
Has this review been posted yet? The photo is the most closed I think I've seen her mouth, and "when it comes to vag I've got the bantz" comment (not verbatim) made me choke.

---
Also "Glib, dated & insulting" as early thread title nom for the inevitable number three if we can't have the bantz comment.

Reactions: 19
So one reviewer 'got' what she was trying to say. For which she is pathetically grateful. Surely if the message was so hard to get across, then she either isn't expressing it well or is just plain wrong.

Screenshot_20230710_173658.jpg

Screenshot_20230710_173958.jpg

• Sick
Reactions: 11
Oh no - the hardship of eternally favoured Caitlin Moran who published a book at 16 and has never had a bad review since from the north London media set.

She’s been coasting on one Times column, and her feminism for dummies books for a decade, and the occasional review in the times when her and the family need a free holiday somewhere expensive and exclusive.

Unsurprisingly the guardian didn’t let her down, it still has a Sali Hughes column.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Moran said on Fi Glover’s and Jane Garvey’s podcast yesterday that five years ago no one was talking about the menopause. She seems unable to fathom that just because she hasn’t heard something discussed, it doesn’t mean it hasn’t been or isn’t being
That sort of smug solipsism would give you the hot flashes of rage. I am starting to notice symptoms (late 40s) and am not short on information and advice if and when I ask for it. Women have always talked about this amongst ourselves - and I do feel sorry for those whose mothers/elders were too embarrassed and I hope they found someone else to support them. But it's really annoying to find myself about to go through a natural process that is on bleeping trend.

I remember a girl at art school whose thesis project was about her periods. Then she had a baby, and guess what her Masters was about? No, not the baby, but her superwomb that was more creative than any other woman's because she was an artiste! I bet she is banging on about the menopause now like she's discovered a new continent to exploit. The Davina McCall menopause shtick is actually more cringe than a night sweat. Toiletries and beauty products are now labelled "menopause" as if a hand lotion is going to help! It's all about wringing every last bit of cash out of the body.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 29
I also don't know if all the menopause talk is actually helping. The Davina stuff is actually making women feel more frightened and anxious about menopause I think

• Heart
Reactions: 27
I was thinking about this the other day, I saw some leaflets for men’s mental health support groups.

If she’d just said, “there needs to be more awareness about this” that would be fine.

It’s the fact that she’s claiming no one is talking about it and so she literally says -

No man had got around to writing a book like this, and so, as usual, muggins here – a middle aged woman – had to crack on and sort it all out.

I loathe that kind of attitude. Not only is it totally incorrect, she’s painting herself as some kind of hero or martyr of the story.

It reminds me so much of when Jack Monroe says things along the lines of “well, no one else’s is talking about food poverty, so it looks like it has to be me”. It’s so false.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I also don't know if all the menopause talk is actually helping. The Davina stuff is actually making women feel more frightened and anxious about menopause I think
It’s certainly making people who don’t have a fancy private endocrinologist feel like their care on the NHS will be non-existent.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 25