Caitlin Moran #2 She’s just insulting everyone’s intelligence now

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It would be hilarious and ironic if the backlash this book is receiving makes her actually become a feminist.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I don't know if my blood pressure could stand watching Newsnight tonight.
But this gem was in a recent GQ article.

View attachment 2285592

Is she insane?
Women still face taboos on a regular basis here and around the world. Busting them is not always 'so richly rewarded'. And 'find a taboo'? They are usually unwillingly thrust upon you.
When will she grasp she is only speaking for her own group of women friends? The experiences of her, Lauren Laverne, Sali Hughes and their twitter acolytes are not universal.
This absolutely boils my piss, to use their parlance. Every woman I know has a daily fight on her hands. About everything! The kinwork, the pay gap, the emotional labour, the fear.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
She shits out a few words each week and gets paid handsomely for the privilege and larks about on Twitter in between. As well as free trips to Glastonbury and god knows what else. The absolute gall to assume this is some kind of universal female experience

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Review by Will Lloyd. Her book sounds like it could do more harm than good as it’s so insulting and myopic. As if we don’t have enough to worry about.

Has Caitlin Moran ever met a man?
Her new book What About Men? promises an anatomy of the male condition – but instead provides flagrant stereotypes and feeble jokes about balls.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
The Times has two writers well past their sell-by date they hang on to - Caitlin Moran and Giles Coren - and I don't really understand why. Both were (sort of) big in the noughties, and now, meh. Boring. Same old shtick. Surely it's time for someone fresh with a new and interesting take on things?

As for women hurling around tampons and telling randos to dump their man, I have frequented a few cocaine-driven London media haunts 🍉 over the years, and I'm afraid to say this *is* what happens in the bogs. But it's a tiny niche. Wetherspoons near The Barbican in Plymouth? Not so much. But Caitlin wouldn't have a clue.

This latest book of hers is SO awful, and her take on men (from someone with such limited experience of men either as husbands/lovers or sons) is SUCH bollocks. It's all such babyish drivel -I will be really interested to see the sales figures as I don't think she has nearly the following she once had.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I was waiting to see Japanese Breakfast last Sunday at Glastonbury when an announcement came on the screen that they couldn’t make it, 5 mins later the screens lit up saying that they were being replaced by Eaves Wilder, Caitlin’s daughter’s band.

This was the second biggest stage at the festival. This band had never even played a festival before 🙄

They haven’t even released an album. There must have been so many more talented artists on site, people who were playing every single day of the festival too on the small stages.

I left the field in disgust, no one else quite got my anger, just pleased it was before 2pm so the BBC won’t televise it and godmother Lauren can’t gush over her like she does on her radio show.
I'm not sure if they were on TV because of their other slot. I just did a search on twitter and she was interviewed on The bleeping One Show!
The One Show, 23/06/2023: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001n3v9 via @bbciplayer
Screenshot_20230705_191220_Twitter.jpg

---
I say not sure if on tv fir BBC Introducing... slot as they were certainly being filmed

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
Review by Will Lloyd. Her book sounds like it could do more harm than good as it’s so insulting and myopic. As if we don’t have enough to worry about.

Her new book What About Men? promises an anatomy of the male condition – but instead provides flagrant stereotypes and feeble jokes about balls.
That review is so good.
Sums up the the triviality and silliness of her, and her tiresome narrow world view.
And lots more of this sort of thing.
Sigh.

Screenshot_20230705_195420.jpg

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 14

That review is brilliant love his description of her writing style!

Reactions: 5

This review is absolutely epic! It’s still quite nice to her though, but shreds the book.

Would it be plagiarism to have “The danger of an overwhelmingly ripe personal style is that it morphs into a substitute for thinking.” for a next thread title? Assuming we get to a third thread!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
This review is absolutely epic! It’s still quite nice to her though, but shreds the book.
I really liked the review too, for the same reasons, it’s not criticising her style of writing, or even her as a person, so it’s fair. It really highlights what we’ve all been saying, that what she’s talking about just does not ring true, to the point that it’s weird.

Reactions: 10
Can you imagine the uproar if a man suddenly made his whole thing be "omg women, you've got it sooooo bad, but you're just not able to grasp it so I'm going to explain it for you, bless you all"
Outrageous. Who signed off on this tit?!

Reactions: 20
The Times has two writers well past their sell-by date they hang on to - Caitlin Moran and Giles Coren - and I don't really understand why. Both were (sort of) big in the noughties, and now, meh. Boring. Same old shtick. Surely it's time for someone fresh with a new and interesting take on things?

As for women hurling around tampons and telling randos to dump their man, I have frequented a few cocaine-driven London media haunts 🍉 over the years, and I'm afraid to say this *is* what happens in the bogs. But it's a tiny niche. Wetherspoons near The Barbican in Plymouth? Not so much. But Caitlin wouldn't have a clue.

This latest book of hers is SO awful, and her take on men (from someone with such limited experience of men either as husbands/lovers or sons) is SUCH bollocks. It's all such babyish drivel -I will be really interested to see the sales figures as I don't think she has nearly the following she once had.
Your last point is so true. She married very young (was he basically her first boyfriend?) and has no sons, it seems most of her friends are female too (for all the fanny talk, what else could you talk to friends about after all???) yet she's now the expert on me. Imagine if a man wrote a book like this about women.
---
Can you imagine the uproar if a man suddenly made his whole thing be "omg women, you've got it sooooo bad, but you're just not able to grasp it so I'm going to explain it for you, bless you all"
Outrageous. Who signed off on this tit?!
Jinx!

Reactions: 13
And her male friends are very much 90s lad mag types (John Niven for example)
And there is another wierd thing. She says she knows of no books written about men's feelings or boys growing into men.
Niven has written a memoir about exactly this - which she wrote the blurb for.
She must have at least thought that it couldn't be the only one ever?
I just don't get this putting up falsehoods to argue about 🤷‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Also Robert Webb.

“How Not to Be a Boy is a 2017 memoir by the British comedian Robert Webb. He writes about his childhood, parenthood and other life events, using the experiences to discuss masculinity, gender roles and feminist topics. Wikipedia

It was very good. Really bleeping sad though.

Reactions: 16
had the misfortune to part read one of her books. Couldnt finish it, she’s so unlikeable, unfunny and a try hard. Still stuck in her shouty student politics stage. Wish The Times would bin her off, would much rather they had Grace Dent.

Reactions: 17
The review in The Times is also interesting, given it’s her paper. Very complimentary but also saying the brief would have been better fulfilled by a cartoon blue heeler lol

Definitely more critical than I'd expect. I can't believe her 2 methods of research were asking her husband and asking people on twitter (who are mostly either trolling her or desperate to impress her). So lazy!

Reactions: 10