Brittany Bathgate

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe "effortless" wasn't the best choice of words. Of course everything is curated to fit a certain narrative, but I find her more authentic than other influencers. I like that she shows off her style but also includes moments that make her seem human, like talking about mental health or including a snippet which showed her cleaning her bathroom like us "normal" people fully with ugly rubber gloves scrubbing her toilet, which definitely doesn't fit her style lol. I can't imagine Lily or Lizzie doing that. Idk, maybe it's just me...
Yeah no, respect your opinion but that is not the content I want to see 😂 that type of content and the constant mumbling/waffling/apologising is exactly why I find her vlogs so dull.

Reactions: 1
I think she does seem effortless and cool when you first watch her but doesn't take many rambling vlogs to see that it takes her a lot of time and money to be so 'effortless'

Reactions: 7
Not saying this in defence of Brittany as she is problematic in her own right but more generally interested in how different people can perceive things differently, as I think Brittany is a step above the likes of Lizzy. I’ve followed Brittany for about 8-10 years and she’s always had the same personality and interests, her style has seemed to naturally evolve but still not distant from where Brittany started.
Whereas Lizzy she just seems so disingenuous, she had a complete personality and style transplant when she moved to London. Lizzy is just the type of the person who will change herself to compliment whoever she’s dating or friends with at the time. Her interest in art in particular seems so forced it just doesn’t come naturally to her.
Whilst I agree they both monotonously waffle in their vlogs especially regarding reading, you would think they had both read Proust whilst others were still reading TinTin when in reality neither of them read literature, at least Brittany seems to understand what she reads whilst Lizzy just seems to skim read and adds to the forced persona.
I think this carries through to their content Brittany seems to understand the basics such as how light affects photography and filming whilst Lizzy stopped making an effort years ago when she learnt blowing family money on expensive clothing, cameras and rentals was an easier way to effectively buy a following. Not to make this too long but there’s so many other thing that separate them Lizzy’s lack of maturity, lying about the intentional weight loss and photo editing, low-brow ads, obviously all in my opinion of course.

The Made ad does seem forced Brittany is the last person I thought would get a berber style rug and rattan chair they’re so over saturated at the moment.

And effortless, in terms of dressing, definitely isn’t a word I would associate with her. I think influencing is bad for Brittany in the sense it’s given her the time and money to obsess over every minute detail when it comes to clothing, constantly buying similar items to replace them with a slightly different version. And the skincare, is it really normal for people to change their regime every few months? Is this not bad for your skin?

Reactions: 6
Once you've been following BB a while you realise nothing she does is "effortless." Everything is carefully curatedd to look ~perfect~ and it starts to become incredibly contrived and false.
Exactly! Spending limitless hours every day to choose between ten white t-shirts and 15 trench coats is not effortless.

Also, having ridiculous amounts of storage to keep insane amounts of stuff away from viewers is not minimalism.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
I like many of her coats but the one she’s been wearing that has huge wide shoulders just looks very ill fitting. She also seems to be hunching a lot in many of these tailored winter coats presumably because they are too big for her and heavy, made of wool.

Another thing that I’ve realised recently that bothers me is her overuse of the term anxiety. She may be anxious but also slapping the anxiety label onto every single thing that mildly irritates her shows lack of perspective or understanding and makes me wonder if she truly is as anxious as she claims.

Reactions: 10
While Lizzy and Brittany are both pretty annoying and I used to like Brittany a lot more initially, I have since switched. I find Lizzy annoying but *slightly* less duplicitous, less contrived. Brittany wants to appear in a certain light and at first it is convincing but over time you realize it is an carefully crafted act of smoke and mirrors. I suspect she lies about little things (in this latest video, I believe she did not buy those boots last year), is not forthcoming, and does not develop intimacy with the watcher by being more honest. Her house is likely quite a tip but she always shows the rooms that are pristine.

Yes, a certain amount of that is normal/forgivable/human but it's clear to me now that actually she is quite messy, likely due to the never ending stream of stuff coming in that she has to maintain. The mess would be more interesting in my mind. She only presents what she feels will appeal but in doing so becomes less appealing. This can be extrapolated to other areas. She only presents her life with Dean, her anxieties, she feels put her in a good light or buy her some sense of faux humility. But when it comes to how she really feels, how she really lives, that's absent. Not that she doesn't have a right to have boundaries or keep stuff private, she does. The fact remains though that the less you share and the less real you are the less relatable. It's a balance.

New paragraph. And breathe. Hahahaha.

I actually think Lizzy, as unintelligent as she sometimes sounds is more well read and studious than Brittany. Some of the most ditzy people in classes I've taken turn out to be the cleverest. I also think that much as a posh person can drive around in a 30 year old landrover with muddy boots, old furniture with mess everywhere and eyebrows that stick out at right angles to their faces and crooked teeth and say WHAT? instead of "pardon" (because they don't have aspirations of going places, they already are at that place), Lizzy is a bit like this, (not 100%, she's still insecure, she's still worries) feels less need to keep up appearances.

Not that she is posh but privileged in a way that is less tenuous perhaps. Brittany seems, and this is a total guess, like she worries incessantly about how she is perceived and whether she seems sophisticated enough. Brittany would never drive around in a black BMW with red interior (too flash). But Lizzy either doesn't know or is not fussed about whether that looks gauche. And as grossly tacky as that car was to me, is appealing in the sense that at least she doesn't pretend she doesn't like such "uncool" things. A well educated, well read person does not have to fill a bookshelf with books, they don't care, there's nothing to prove.

The super priveleged folks (over generations), whether we like it or not have the benefit of not worrying so much about what others think and this is why, I think, often their influencing is on a different level. Because they have time to be bored and money to burn, it's easier to inspire. You are not worried about keeping the lights on and you have the space to play around and if it goes pear shaped, well no biggie. It is the same with someone uber famous or more rebellious. Many times they are not worried about being tasteful which is way more fun.

As with people on the upper end, the same is true for the working class like my dad who also don't give a toss what others think. Get fucked if you don't like it is their attitude. Though my dad is very well educated, he's a Geordie from working class roots and will never be impressed by superficiality. Brittany is, (like me in this regard) decidedly middle class and though this will horrify her, she is the exact type of bougie, overly concerned with possessions and maintaining an image as the average social climbing, Essex type (no offense Essex, not everyone there is like this) just in another format. I suspect Brittany is priveleged but in a different way and there is something underlying that gives her more self doubt.

These are just musings and speculative. I don't see it as a negative necessarily that you are middle class and bougie. What I see as a negative is that you try desperately to project that you are not, that you are a cut above. Don't take it as all posh people are this, all working class people are this, all middle class people are this. I don't give one fig about class in my personal life but as a Brit born and bred who has lived abroad for most of their life I see this with new eyes now and find it interesting.

I recalibrate about it a lot, but I've realized over the years that the "coasters on the table","got to keep my plimsolls really white" type of person that Brittany is, are generally deeply insecure about their identity and place. This can be the enemy of creativity, having depth/being interesting. They are uncomfortable in their own skin and over compensate sometimes b/c it. Worrying about such things expends a lot of mental energy unnecessarily. I recall a child I worked with who when given shaving cream on a plastic mat to play with didn't want to get her hands dirty b/c mum wouldn't like that. It was important for her to play so this was a goal of therapy and get messy.

All this said, I think Brittany has ingredients there and if she did develop some awareness of this and was able to let go a little, she *might* be able to make inroads. I do think there are skills to recommend her, just currently, they are obstructed.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Not that I disagree with you but weirdly my view of them is the total opposite of yours, for me it just comes down Brittany being herself whether viewed as positive or negative she’s always had the same interests and personality and I don’t think influencing has changed anything about her other than her integrity. Lizzy’s persona is so obviously forced she changes to match whoever she’s friends with or dating, maybe its because I live near her but she’s a total east London cliche when she never used to be this way.

As you mentioned people with genuine wealth view cars as a utility, the BMW was vulgar but that was Lizzy’s true personality coming though. She proclaims to be understated because the people she emulates are but in reality she wants people to know she has wealth. In Manchester she drove an equally vulgar Mercedes she bought with family money. She walks around East London with a few thousand pounds worth of bags and cameras hanging off her shoulder which she can only do because she never leaves the gentrified area she lives in. Photography is another one of her forced interests because as a photographer to me it is obvious she has no real interest in it.

Lizzy is not a true reader she skim reads, gives up and struggles to read anything with depth. Reading a book and immediately forgetting the title, author and plot is a major red flag which she does often. Although Brittany’s choice in books has regressed from what she used to read a few years ago Lizzy makes Brittany seem elegant when she talks about books which is quite a fete. When Brittany starts to waffle she reminds me of a monotonous train announcer. And whilst Brittany bought books to fill shelves she does seem to intend to read them I can’t get past Lizzy using her aunts collection of books purely for decoration - the ones under her bed.

Brittany addressing the problems with her relationship with Dean and separating from him was dealt with more maturely than Lizzy, who never addressed breaking up with her ex, she just cut him out of her content and months later started talking about him in the past tense. For me things like this separate them although generally I find Brittany the more open and honest she still as her moments, gushing over her Cartier ad when she obviously got the deal because they are both represented by the same management.

The reason why two women living alone have spare bedrooms is because they become a dumping ground for the gifted items, sitting waiting to go on Depop. Lizzy’s kitchen always has that unappealing pile of mess caused by packaging from a constant stream of PR packages.

It’s the dropped shoulders giving Brittany the wide, hunchback vibes because she has a petite frame they sit at a weird, unflattering place. I’m the same height and build as Brittany and gave up on them years ago because of this.

Reactions: 8
Not that I disagree with you but weirdly my view of them is the total opposite of yours, for me it just comes down Brittany being herself whether viewed as positive or negative she’s always had the same interests and personality and I don’t think influencing has changed anything about her other than her integrity. Lizzy’s persona is so obviously forced she changes to match whoever she’s friends with or dating, maybe its because I live near her but she’s a total east London cliche when she never used to be this way.

As you mentioned people with genuine wealth view cars as a utility, the BMW was vulgar but that was Lizzy’s true personality coming though. She proclaims to be understated because the people she emulates are but in reality she wants people to know she has wealth. In Manchester she drove an equally vulgar Mercedes she bought with family money. She walks around East London with a few thousand pounds worth of bags and cameras hanging off her shoulder which she can only do because she never leaves the gentrified area she lives in. Photography is another one of her forced interests because as a photographer to me it is obvious she has no real interest in it.

Lizzy is not a true reader she skim reads, gives up and struggles to read anything with depth. Reading a book and immediately forgetting the title, author and plot is a major red flag which she does often. Although Brittany’s choice in books has regressed from what she used to read a few years ago Lizzy makes Brittany seem elegant when she talks about books which is quite a fete. When Brittany starts to waffle she reminds me of a monotonous train announcer. And whilst Brittany bought books to fill shelves she does seem to intend to read them I can’t get past Lizzy using her aunts collection of books purely for decoration - the ones under her bed.

Brittany addressing the problems with her relationship with Dean and separating from him was dealt with more maturely than Lizzy, who never addressed breaking up with her ex, she just cut him out of her content and months later started talking about him in the past tense. For me things like this separate them although generally I find Brittany the more open and honest she still as her moments, gushing over her Cartier ad when she obviously got the deal because they are both represented by the same management.

The reason why two women living alone have spare bedrooms is because they become a dumping ground for the gifted items, sitting waiting to go on Depop. Lizzy’s kitchen always has that unappealing pile of mess caused by packaging from a constant stream of PR packages.

It’s the dropped shoulders giving Brittany the wide, hunchback vibes because she has a petite frame they sit at a weird, unflattering place. I’m the same height and build as Brittany and gave up on them years ago because of this.

Wow you've articulated this so well and I totally agree. I think there is certainly more depth to Brittany than Lizzy. I find Lizzy can be quite immature but then again she is only in her twenties and this is coming from a mid thirties lady.

Although recently I have started finding Lizzy very annoying and waffly I still find myself watching her YT vids purely because I'm probably bored and other times because I need something to watch that doesn't require brain cells.

I actually found her super annoying when she was with that creepy bloke Ben or when she hangs out with her doopleganger Lindsay. She conforms to their personalities and as you say comes across too forced.

I actually used to like her style but a I find it too dowdy now. Also, her clothes are so expensive now that it is hard to relate to.

I've really enjoyed Brittanys reading list, especially the book she recommended Pachinko which has to be one of my favourites. She does have monotonous voice at times but her general videos are more appeasing than her peers.

Don't even get me started on Ana Edit. Still boggles my mind why people love her so much.

Have you ever bumped into Lizzy in real life? Intrigued to see what she would seem like in person as what is portrayed on Instagram. As I've noticed in life can be quite the extreme.

p.s Lizzy's obsession with Luigi - what is that all about?

Reactions: 3
Wow you've articulated this so well and I totally agree. I think there is certainly more depth to Brittany than Lizzy. I find Lizzy can be quite immature but then again she is only in her twenties and this is coming from a mid thirties lady.

Although recently I have started finding Lizzy very annoying and waffly I still find myself watching her YT vids purely because I'm probably bored and other times because I need something to watch that doesn't require brain cells.

I actually found her super annoying when she was with that creepy bloke Ben or when she hangs out with her doopleganger Lindsay. She conforms to their personalities and as you say comes across too forced.

I actually used to like her style but a I find it too dowdy now. Also, her clothes are so expensive now that it is hard to relate to.

I've really enjoyed Brittanys reading list, especially the book she recommended Pachinko which has to be one of my favourites. She does have monotonous voice at times but her general videos are more appeasing than her peers.

Don't even get me started on Ana Edit. Still boggles my mind why people love her so much.

Have you ever bumped into Lizzy in real life? Intrigued to see what she would seem like in person as what is portrayed on Instagram. As I've noticed in life can be quite the extreme.

p.s Lizzy's obsession with Luigi - what is that all about?
Luigi is Italian and an architect, is super exotic in her eyes. Is a very weird obsession to fancy your uncle to this extend...

Reactions: 5
Loving these forensic character studies. Why do we care so much? I think influencers and influencer culture reveal a lot about human nature and I’m so here for it!

I actually think Lizzy, as unintelligent as she sometimes sounds is more well read and studious than Brittany. Some of the most ditzy people in classes I've taken turn out to be the cleverest. I also think that much as a posh person can drive around in a 30 year old landrover with muddy boots, old furniture with mess everywhere and eyebrows that stick out at right angles to their faces and crooked teeth and say WHAT? instead of "pardon" (because they don't have aspirations of going places, they already are at that place), Lizzy is a bit like this, (not 100%, she's still insecure, she's still worries) feels less need to keep up appearances.

Reactions: 12
Small note, her being excited about watching drag race on her new TV has to be the most genuine smile of happiness I've seen from her in ages. It was a sweet and transparent moment - you could feel it wasn't preplanned.

Oops, I fell asleep watching that one :giggle: It was a lovely nap btw
I was like ah 51 mins, maybe something nice and not just big chats. How wrong I was. Also got such a fright when Dean suddenly turned up at the snow bit...why didn't she mention he was there when she was saying about going to stomp about in the pristine snow. WEIRD IMO.

Reactions: 4
Do we think her and dean had to agree to spend Valentine’s Day apart to make it clear that they’re not dating each other

I don’t understand this whole Dean situation. Are they just friends to eachother now (which would be ok, but why not just say so?!) or are they separated/„test separated“ (but then why don’t you actually separate instead of constantly see each other?!)

I don’t understand this whole Dean situation. Are they just friends to eachother now (which would be ok, but why not just say so?!) or are they separated/„test separated“ (but then why don’t you actually separate instead of constantly see each other?!)
she was pretty open about the separation (I guess it would be weird to just move and not mention lol) but since then it’s not really been mentioned, even when he’s in the next room and you’re talking about going out in the snow lol. They still obviously see each other all the time, he’s still coming round to paint her flat and put her furniture together, she really has it made.. he built everything she wanted in the old house and now seems to be doing everything for her in the new flat I can’t work out if it’s because he’s just nice or can’t move on.

I don’t want to judge to harsh the fact that they’re still best friends (although good luck getting a new bf/gf with the ex hanging around) and it’s a weird time you can’t really move on so I guess seeing each other is better than seeing no one? I just wonder why it’s not been discussed..
Someone should should ask her, or better yet ask Dean I bet he would reply

Reactions: 5
I find the whole situation really odd. are they on a break? separated? friends with benefits? who knows! I don't think they do either. It's very confusing as a viewer for someone to say "I've separated from my long term partner." to watch them move out and furnish an entirely new home... but then see their previous partner regularly appear in their videos. it's weird. It's not healthy. and BB could easily keep him out of the videos, it wouldn't be difficult. Surely she knows we're all asking questions about thier situation? maybe it gets her more views that way!

Reactions: 7
I find the whole situation really odd. are they on a break? separated? friends with benefits? who knows! I don't think they do either. It's very confusing as a viewer for someone to say "I've separated from my long term partner." to watch them move out and furnish an entirely new home... but then see their previous partner regularly appear in their videos. it's weird. It's not healthy. and BB could easily keep him out of the videos, it wouldn't be difficult. Surely she knows we're all asking questions about thier situation? maybe it gets her more views that way!
I think she’d said that they were remaining a ‘bubble’ for lockdown. Saying as they were already a household, it makes sense (if the ‘separation’/‘test’/‘friendship’ is still amicable and you still enjoy each others company) to stay as a bubble to avoid coming into contact with more people? Maybe they were feeling more like friends/flatmates prior to this than a long term relationship- so switching to that dynamic feels most normal?

I think she’d said that they were remaining a ‘bubble’ for lockdown. Saying as they were already a household, it makes sense (if the ‘separation’/‘test’/‘friendship’ is still amicable and you still enjoy each others company) to stay as a bubble to avoid coming into contact with more people? Maybe they were feeling more like friends/flatmates prior to this than a long term relationship- so switching to that dynamic feels most normal?
In my experience it’s very much possible for a couple who grew apart to spend lots of time together without feeling any romantic connection anymore. You almost start seeing the other person as a useful piece of furniture. As horrible as this sounds, it’s true. And why not just remain helpful if there’s no one else who can under current circumstances fill that role in their lives.

Many people don’t realise that often in long term relationships and separations similar to BB’s, the moving on stage happens before you even realise it or bring up the break up.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with that, I think they had been together 11 or 12 years so if there’s no bad blood it must be just drifting apart romantically but they clearly still depend on each other for companionship. Maybe that’s why they’ve moved apart to see if the spark comes back?

I guess her private life is her private life and she doesn’t owe us anything.. but still would be interesting to know what’s going on or how she’s finding it as I’m sure a lot of people might be having similar issues now after being in lockdown for a year

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.