Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

d0llhouse

Someone in the Lizzy/Lindsey thread posted a screengrab where Brittany had liked a negative review of their book:

1628284852659.png

Now we know the book is a cash grab, so I'm not surprised that she'd have those thoughts, possibly discussing it privately in her own home. But to go out of her way to like negative comments about her friends' work really lends credence to those who've described their experiences of her as a mean girl. Not a good look.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23

blueblueindigo

Sorry if this is all at the "bitch eating crackers" point, but really just want to vent, and I guess this could be more about WHY we bother to watch influencers at all.

I guess what started this all off was the dependency she has on her ex/not ex and how this translated into content and privilege. Would she have even considered going to Australia, to Wales, to Scotland, the campervan thing, all the home interior design and garden design, even certain artists if it wasn't motivated by him.... and therefore why should viewers care about content that isn't "hers".... if we wanted to see her partner's campervan project, then that should be on his own platforms.

The way she presented her whole "separation" and the sheer financial privilege to just decide to move out like that, ofcourse into an insta worthy flat, which in turn invites brand deals like Tylko, Made, Lick, the vases, the art prints and god knows what else. Only it was never really a separation and content from someone discovering independence, seeing as she couldn't even put up a Christmas tree by herself, let alone spend the big day alone as a newly single person. Then viewers are considered "nosey" when they convey that none of this adds up, why would you rent an expensive flat and quickly furnish it with expensive bulky furniture when it's just a temp. arrangement? You also have to consider the consumption and waste aspect of all of this.... what happened to the "old" couch, that wasn't as good as the Hay one?

So what does her content offer, the content that isn't influenced by her ex/not ex's creative input and travel plans? She gets gifted and buys a lot of beautiful things, anyone could dress in a fantastic minimalist wardrobe and have a beautifully decorated house like hundreds of other identical instagrammers if they also received it for free and made as much money from advertisements.

Would she have ever considered making matcha and turning it into content if she wasn't gifted it in the first place? She appeared to be completely clueless as to where to buy "good matcha". That kind of annoyed me, which is probably "eating crackers" territory lol, but why even bother filming something that you only care about because it was gifted to you.

I guess others have mentioned the lack of depth and explanation, yet huge amounts of time deliberating the smallest pointless detail. Even the what I eat video, why film it when you don't bother to show anything properly, or even seem to care about cooking and learning in the first place. It just seems like phoning it in, and an opportunity to have a dig at hello fresh (valid, but just seemed like a dig at other hello fresh touting youtubers). Her depop sales, exploiting an audience, highlight wasteful behaviour, so it's not if she's on a zero waste, living on a budget niche.

Ultimately as we all get older, and move beyond watching endless youtube videos and instead to a curated mix of those that actually provide escapism, education, inspiration etc I'm struggling to see a need to keep a subscription. I don't need to spend 30 mins watching someone over think pointless things from an economically privileged position, and not have much organic content. Nor does it provide the soothing, slow living that is huge amongst Korean and Japanese vloggers, which that German youtuber mentioned kind of has a pinch of. If I want to see pretty things and an aesthetic I like, then it's rife on instagram.

Not sure where I'm going with this and apologies if it's all so petty as it's really not that deep ;)

• Heart
Reactions: 22

brerwhabbit

While Lizzy and Brittany are both pretty annoying and I used to like Brittany a lot more initially, I have since switched. I find Lizzy annoying but *slightly* less duplicitous, less contrived. Brittany wants to appear in a certain light and at first it is convincing but over time you realize it is an carefully crafted act of smoke and mirrors. I suspect she lies about little things (in this latest video, I believe she did not buy those boots last year), is not forthcoming, and does not develop intimacy with the watcher by being more honest. Her house is likely quite a tip but she always shows the rooms that are pristine.

Yes, a certain amount of that is normal/forgivable/human but it's clear to me now that actually she is quite messy, likely due to the never ending stream of stuff coming in that she has to maintain. The mess would be more interesting in my mind. She only presents what she feels will appeal but in doing so becomes less appealing. This can be extrapolated to other areas. She only presents her life with Dean, her anxieties, she feels put her in a good light or buy her some sense of faux humility. But when it comes to how she really feels, how she really lives, that's absent. Not that she doesn't have a right to have boundaries or keep stuff private, she does. The fact remains though that the less you share and the less real you are the less relatable. It's a balance.

New paragraph. And breathe. Hahahaha.

I actually think Lizzy, as unintelligent as she sometimes sounds is more well read and studious than Brittany. Some of the most ditzy people in classes I've taken turn out to be the cleverest. I also think that much as a posh person can drive around in a 30 year old landrover with muddy boots, old furniture with mess everywhere and eyebrows that stick out at right angles to their faces and crooked teeth and say WHAT? instead of "pardon" (because they don't have aspirations of going places, they already are at that place), Lizzy is a bit like this, (not 100%, she's still insecure, she's still worries) feels less need to keep up appearances.

Not that she is posh but privileged in a way that is less tenuous perhaps. Brittany seems, and this is a total guess, like she worries incessantly about how she is perceived and whether she seems sophisticated enough. Brittany would never drive around in a black BMW with red interior (too flash). But Lizzy either doesn't know or is not fussed about whether that looks gauche. And as grossly tacky as that car was to me, is appealing in the sense that at least she doesn't pretend she doesn't like such "uncool" things. A well educated, well read person does not have to fill a bookshelf with books, they don't care, there's nothing to prove.

The super priveleged folks (over generations), whether we like it or not have the benefit of not worrying so much about what others think and this is why, I think, often their influencing is on a different level. Because they have time to be bored and money to burn, it's easier to inspire. You are not worried about keeping the lights on and you have the space to play around and if it goes pear shaped, well no biggie. It is the same with someone uber famous or more rebellious. Many times they are not worried about being tasteful which is way more fun.

As with people on the upper end, the same is true for the working class like my dad who also don't give a toss what others think. Get fucked if you don't like it is their attitude. Though my dad is very well educated, he's a Geordie from working class roots and will never be impressed by superficiality. Brittany is, (like me in this regard) decidedly middle class and though this will horrify her, she is the exact type of bougie, overly concerned with possessions and maintaining an image as the average social climbing, Essex type (no offense Essex, not everyone there is like this) just in another format. I suspect Brittany is priveleged but in a different way and there is something underlying that gives her more self doubt.

These are just musings and speculative. I don't see it as a negative necessarily that you are middle class and bougie. What I see as a negative is that you try desperately to project that you are not, that you are a cut above. Don't take it as all posh people are this, all working class people are this, all middle class people are this. I don't give one fig about class in my personal life but as a Brit born and bred who has lived abroad for most of their life I see this with new eyes now and find it interesting.

I recalibrate about it a lot, but I've realized over the years that the "coasters on the table","got to keep my plimsolls really white" type of person that Brittany is, are generally deeply insecure about their identity and place. This can be the enemy of creativity, having depth/being interesting. They are uncomfortable in their own skin and over compensate sometimes b/c it. Worrying about such things expends a lot of mental energy unnecessarily. I recall a child I worked with who when given shaving cream on a plastic mat to play with didn't want to get her hands dirty b/c mum wouldn't like that. It was important for her to play so this was a goal of therapy and get messy.

All this said, I think Brittany has ingredients there and if she did develop some awareness of this and was able to let go a little, she *might* be able to make inroads. I do think there are skills to recommend her, just currently, they are obstructed.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

Mrs McCarthy

Chatty Member
Hi I’m sorry but I don’t think it’s totally fair to say she is wealthy and privileged. On her LinkedIn it seems she has worked mostly retail after art college and before blogging. I’m not saying she has had it hard but I would her background is fairly ordinary, but she’s just really cool and felt confident following the art path which led her to retail, instead of chasing something more corporate. I think her relationship with dean reflects this, and the fact that they live somewhere relatively ordinary and without a huge mortgage. Obviously now thanks to blogging she is able to buy higher end fashion etc, and she is educated, but I know many people like her from growing up and I wouldn’t say they are either wealthy or privileged. Just quite normal raised well without huge expectations...

Also I really like Brittany! I’ve enjoyed her lot vlogs edited with good music and what was described as slow living. Even her fashion, which would look awful on me, doesn’t seem like a consumeristic reflection of labels. But she’s definitely lucky she can pull it off being naturally very slim and petite lol.

I think I enjoy her YouTube more than her Instagram as she seems more down to earth on it. It’s been interesting to follow her garden updates too, although the garden furniture was crazy expensive...

Even if I lived in London I wouldn’t be going out to soho or pubs in central. There are green spaces in London, even if gardens are rarer.
She is white and British. She has a job that allows her to work from home. She has a big house with a big garden. She has a lot of clothes including lots and lots of designer pieces. She is very privileged if you ask me!

• Heart

Nova

VIP Member
As for the sandals, I do wish people credited my dad, a retired biology teacher, who has been wearing these types of sandals since the 70s. With socks! That combined with a nice cardigan with elbow patches and his beard was quite a look.

• Haha

anonytub

First time posting here. Hmm extremely interesting what I have read on this thread especially comments from people who have experienced her bullying and nasty nature (which I know to be true). Personally, i can guarantee she has an account here, obsesses over these comments and it wouldn’t surprise me if she wrote on here in reply to people throwing herself a bone but adding some “balance” to not make it so obvious. Even in her very early days of Instagram she was copying accounts and other people’s lead. Which in itself wasn’t anything that out of the ordinary we’re all inspired on some level. But BB would never credit or acknowledge those she was copying, she would follow them at a distance whilst trying to absorb as much of them as she could (every minute detail like following all their friends personal accounts etc. Kind of like snaking her way in to the nest). When she was called out on it a few times she was NASTY! And I mean like really nasty. I’d go as far as gaslighting the victim at the time. Making them out to be “delusional” when my friend blocked her and tried to maintain some distance, she made fake accounts and clutched at other methods of contact, she wrote horrible passive tweets, she wrote fake nasty comments and there’s evidence of this because someone I know actually traced the IP address which matched the IP address she was using for genuine commenting with her gmail email on blogger or whatever the platform add on was at the time.

i think someone else said it but for those that really don’t like her, don’t and avoid her entirely. I think she’s done incredibly well for herself and carved out a niche a lot of people associate the aesthetic with her whether or not it‘s genuinely hers or not. I think if you take a step back, regardless of your opinions of everyone it speaks for itself. Influencers in the industry they have friends and she just really doesn’t,she made desperate attempts to be in with Lizzie at one point but Lizzie and Lindsey are just more natural. I’m sure these girls get on at events but who’s actually showing up in her life she never speaks about anyone. Lilly and Anna, Ameliana and estee.But BB is an outlier to me. I don’t wish anyone unwell in their life. These comments about her furnishing her new place with £500 lamps and making herself feel better with £1000 shoes. It’s all well and good but unless you have soul and substance something that lights you up in life it’s all a bit empty and sad.
She to me is an extremely obsessive personality she takes someone and tries to compete with them by copying them but doing it better so to speak. And she chooses her targets well. Even the running thing which she goes on about so much now she only started that because of someone else and then used to deliberately try and out do them. the new video she has done is horrendous attempt at humour. Her self depreciation is awkward because she’s the personality that wouldnt put anything on the internet she hasn’t obsessed over every inch of for days, so she obviously did think that was a funny foray into interesting content. She’s not naturally funny or able to pull off that kind of satire on any level. It’s a huge rip off of Tamsin Amy on TikTok/insta trend who plays up to her middle class lifestyle with narrated videos talking obscenely about it.
It’s all really sad but if anyone threatens her reality/curated perfection she becomes very unhinged and defensive. I don’t think she’s truly comfortable with showing true emotion or the real BB and it just must be terribly exhausting keeping up appearances constantly. I think she needs to choose her camp if she wants to be a fashion influencer OR an “influencer” that shares their lifestyle and truly reflects that. Also don’t buy her anything she says about mental health etc. how she’s spoken to other people before and the psycho tendencies she will go to. The girl has some serious issues and I’m glad she’s addressing them with therapy.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart

snarkvark

VIP Member
I like her because I don’t think she’s as vapid as other influencers & she does have hobbies & interests (running, reading, design, art, architecture). She is totally out of my league budget-wise but I don’t watch/follow her because she’s relatable but because she’s aspirational. I like that she makes considered choices with a consistent aesthetic & doesn’t jump on bandwagons like all the other insta-clones.
She is though, it's just BB seems more appealing and upmarket beause she's more Kinfolk and less high street. It's all very contrived and set up to make people aspire to this "perfect" lifestyle. She has expensive clothes, expensive homewares, expensive style. She stands out next to the usual infleuncer crowd because she isn't wearing loads of fast fashion. It's just a different kind of vapid.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

brerwhabbit

I think in the last vlog she is starting to realize a few things - like she realizes the bookshelves don't need to be filled etc. The collaboration prospect is interesting with H&M (well she said it's a sister brand to Arket so maybe it's COS or And Other Stories)? I thought she was going to focus on supporting sustainable, slow, clean fashion? Oh well, I suppose right now, it's hard to be picky. She should pipe down about that stuff if she doesn't want to appear duplicitous maybe. The offers she will get for "collaborations" will be from larger companies who green wash at best. It's a hard and non-lucrative road to be a true activist about fashion and being anti-consumption while being a regular vlogger is an oxymoronic enterprise. Not that it isn't possible, just not if you want to make money.

I wonder if she is reading this? Surely not? Why put yourself through that? But she made a point of saying how boring she is (to get clamoring comments that she is not?) and the bookshelves don't need to be filled. I notice she has an ACNE magazine with Fran Lebowitz on the cover. That's from 2012. I highly doubt she knew who Fran was at that time. I did, because I'm old and I'm from NY (well, I'm English but I lived there for 15 years). I highly doubt she's read it, it looks pristine. It's the only one, just kind of lying there as if in a retail shop, not a home. She has a lot of "rules". Books can't be behind glass. Barrister bookshelves were made with glass to protect books. And who the heck cares? The glass doors are very "IKEA" though, I would remove them too.

There are general design concepts for sure that she probably picked up on when she was a visual merchandiser but they are meant to broken in my view - just a guideline. The overriding anxiety she has at home, which is hers alone and she can do what she wants with is on volume 11. No wonder she feels tired with all the work she has to do for the collaboration project. I'm not doubting that those projects are quite arduous. This why they (influencers) get paid so well - not as much as all the people collectively but far, far more than you would get working as one for a brand (usually, unless you're a big name). The company that hires you knows this and willing to pay that amount b/c it is actually cheaper for them.

And for influencers it is much leaner than going through all the red tape and opinions and meetings of a corporation. And they get something fresh. But, the stylist, prop manager, all those things she says she doesn't have, they don't get paid like you do at all. Them's the breaks babes you want the big bucks, you work hard. She could hire Dean (looks like she does already though, for free, LOL). To be fair, I don't think she is meaning to whine but it's not really easy to listen to and she should be aware this doesn't endear. A little bit is okay and human and relatable to an EXTENT but a whole vlog of "oh the pandemic, oh the work, oh my anxiety" well, you don't do that at a job, and this is a job (I sound like my mum now).

Someone earlier said she is really bringing something unique to style. Take a look at https://www.instagram.com/nordicstylereport/?hl=en (nordic style report). EVERY single apartment/flat on there is almost a carbon copy of hers. No joke, the sofa, the style of the apartment, the chairs, the fireplaces everything. Also, her look is pretty much the same. Except she is a scandi minfluencer crossed with Margaret Howell. A mixed breed of sorts with a little Korean (which is essentially knock offs of Celine and Scandi style proportioned for shorter folks - sorry Korea, there is more, I'm speaking of the brands BB likes). She is a fusion, but it's not radically different.

I quite like her mix. Scandinavian design by itself bores me to tears. She could do with a bit more British insouciance. We, as a country, make fashion more irreverent, interesting and fun. We bring the party to the snore-ee good taste of the continent/Scandinavia. She does have something, but I wouldn't go as far to say it is terribly unique. It's extremely trendy - not high street trendy, but of a certain mileau. They all remind me of the son in Schitt's Creek - you know when he's looking for his first job and he says "trend researcher or art curating? I've been told I have really good taste" Hahahahhahahaha!

I did trend research for 6 years and loved it - but it's a difficult job to get and I had 15+ years experience plus writing, plus being in the right place at the right time and the amount of people who thought my job was easy - well, when they tried to do it, they just regurgitated what was at stores already, out there and their inspiration boards were a mess. I would research history, art, science, all kinds of stuff to arrive at palettes and emerging trends. And it was an obsession that I worked 16 hours a day at (and loved it) - it's a job that's disappearing rapidly though. Only a few companies left that do it well and make money.

There's my novel for the week. I did break it up a bit this time. LOL. xo

Last edited:
  • Heart

maru___

Brittany says she continuously justifies herself keeping hold of things she has no need for, just in case she ever fancies using them again.

Is that what happened to Dean? 🥲

• Haha
  • Sad

Gossiperina

Okay, quick question - how many people of her generation have what she has? Not many. Therefore she is privileged.
feels like this turned into a rave thread 🤦🏼‍♀️
I never made this thread as a hate thread.. The people requesting for a Brittany Bathgate thread actually liked her and just wanted to discuss, it wasn't about being nasty.

I understand she is more privileged than others but what I am trying to get at is that she did work for getting to where she is now unlike many other influencers who were just at the right place at the right time. As opposed to many others, she actually had proper retail and fashion jobs for about 10 years before becoming an influencer.

Also there are tattlers here who are more privileged than she is...literally loads of people on tattle have bigger houses than she does if you go and check the house buying threads. Many tattlers here have more designer pieces as well than she does. But being privileged does not make you a bad person, as long as you worked for it.

I come from a poor country, moved to the UK 5 years ago with £1000 that my parents had to get from the bank to afford it, I cleaned toilets full time for a living for about 3 years while I put myself through university and now I am 25 years old with a £40 k/year job for which I worked hard. Do you want to call me privileged? And should I feel bad about it?

Anyway it's one of those agree to disagree topics I believe.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

meowmeowbeans

VIP Member
I feel that one of life's greatest disappointments that we've been fooled into believing is nice is reading a book in a hot bath. Has anyone ever done this? First, it takes ages to fill the tub. Then there's the torturous wincing moment of easing your feet and tender bits into boiling hot water. After you're submerged, it's nice for about five minutes before it starts cooling down and you wonder how anyone gets any enjoyment out of it. Give me a hot tub any day over a bath.

• Haha
  • Heart

snarkvark

VIP Member
BB really does believe she's ~not like the other influencers~

Fuck off with the "visual artist" bullshit. WTF even is that? she takes photos of her outfits and does vlogs. how is that any different from every other influencer?

Ebf123

Honestly, you're all too nice. She just reminds me of every other boring, lazy, rich person who has so much spare time on their hands that one minuscule thing can take up a whole day or two.

Like you all said, these errands are something that a normal person would fit in between 5 and 6pm after work and before the gym or making dinner or seeing friends!

I used to find her peaceful but I don't even have YouTube anymore (I just catch up on here lol) because watching people flounce about getting richer and richer as they do the bare minimum was getting super painful. It's definitely a personal thing because I'm tied to a computer 9 hours a day getting severely underpaid by a billion dollar company (🙄) but I just want to scream: read the room!

• Heart

Readinginks

VIP Member
What I find the most painful in her attitude is that she seems to really truly believe that buying and reselling expensive things every couple of months is more sustainable than buying from high street much less frequently. BB is so proud of the way she cares for her clothes, she even washes at 20* (which I’m not even sure is hygienic). I don’t tend to do that, and yet manage to preserve and wear high street clothes for years. I have t-shirts from Zara that are more than ten years old and are still my favourite and look great. I tend to go for neutral design and pay attention to the materials I buy, that’s all. For someone with her aesthetic it should be the same as she tries to pretend her style isn’t trend driven (although we all know it is, just not mainstream trend). I really think she has no clue. Also, maybe it’s because I grew up in a war torn country and we really didn’t have much, so we’d only buy new stuff when the old fell apart beyond repair, but I’m so in shock by all this endless consumerism. Surely, not everyone buys a new wardrobe every season.

• Heart

getawaywithit

VIP Member
“There was absolutely no need to tell me this”. Lol why? You’re creating media content for an audience, the audience is allowed to comment on it. Certain comments could be out of bounds of course, but discussing these elements of the vlog should be perfectly normal… it’s not like someone comes up to you on the street and says ‘you’re boring’, she’s literally made content so that others can consume it and she can make money off their consumption of her. I swear most of these girls have no acceptance or understanding of what their career is.

Reactions: 17

brerwhabbit

I really like Brittany's style. I think she also has a talent for editing. I have worked in fashion most of my life and am old enough to be her mother so I understand somewhat the pressure she is under. The pressure of the competitive nature of fashion and the desire to keep up. And you can never keep up. I laugh when vlogers/ influencers like Karenbritchick for example, who say, oh this will last for years, you have to buy quality and classics and then buy another slightly different version of the same exact item a week later, or just change their style completely in one season. And Brittany is actually much less that way than most of them. That said, I sense that her mental health issues are exacerbated by the world she has placed herself within. Fashion is not, by its nature sustainable. Sustainable fashion is an oxymoron, a paradox. But that said, there is value and intellect in fashion. Especially when you look at designer's designers like Van Noten, McQueen, Westwood etc. and their influence. But even if you buy "quality" items, unless you are really using those for years and not buying ten of them it's never responsible for the environment. Let's stop pretending. And often you are paying for expensive ads or small production lines not quality anyway. How many trench coats can one have? But that said, I do love her look. If it's "bag lady" I'm actually all for it. Dressing is not just to appear sexy to men, or conventionally attractive. And I reckon she is the one that other influencers copy most, especially the others in her milieu, the "minfluencers". Buying books, even used ones to simply fill shelves speaks to me of being overly consumed with one's image. Whatever happened to slowly acquiring books as you read them (she does read a lot)? getting them from the library? Nothing wrong with empty shelves for a bit. In her latest she speaks about going shopping to support businesses. I believe people are going shopping to get not to give. It would be more interesting and helpful to volunteer. I have absolutely no problem with loving nice things and appreciating clothing and design. I'm not saying live like a pauper and donate everything. I don't even have a problem with buying a Noguchi lamp but it's the timing and making it the entire content. You are not the only one, Brittany to buy a Noguchi lamp. It's become, utterly boring to do so. I lived for years in Queens NY (though I grew in in London) and Isamu Noguchi had a studio there and his vision is spectacularly interesting. But there's no mention of that. It's just, I'm buying this lamp because I deserve it (which, I'm sorry, you do not deserve it anymore than many working folks who can't afford it), just watch me unbox it which is really low bar stuff. At this point it is not only mundane but cruel and unthinking when so many suffering financially. It's not enough to say you care, you have to think about your actions to be respected surely? She has talent and a great eye and can be incredibly insightful about her own mental health. She doesn't need to stop being herself, but I do feel that if she expended some energy external to herself she might find out what it is to truly appreciate design and art. She could also put some teeth behind her talk about, for example, black lives matter, sustainable fashion. How about talking about some of the Danish fashion designers and learning about how they produce the clothing, whose style she clearly appreciates and emulates. Anyway, it's evident to me that this life she is setting up for herself is full of emptiness but I do relate to her. I don't give a toss about gossip, her privilege and her and Dean. I mean, there is privilege and we should talk about it, but we don't really know her circumstances. I do see that she has been accepting more promotional opportunities lately that don't really square with her preferences, which is a shame. We don't know what's going on with here and Dean (though I do realize it's fun to speculate, it's ultimately a bit silly). But there are ways for her to be less self centered and truly different and set an example that differentiates her from her peers and I think she is capable of that so I wish for it. It would be so nice to see.

Last edited:
  • Heart

MomoomoM

Where have I seen those trousers before 🤔
No way!!!

New thread title suggestion: Brittany Bathgate, a copycat, who thinks she hides it well, but us Tattlers can always tell.

(Can you tell I've been watching new gossip girl lol)

Readinginks

VIP Member
BB’s pace of talk always makes me wonder how much of a horrible colleague she would be, self-indulging into longwinded never ending sentences with zero substance while everyone else in the meeting is trying to get to the point, come up with a solution and get the job done.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16