Brittany Bathgate

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
her latest vlog continues to show that she tries so hard to be different or unique and it just comes across as contrived. i know that it was all intended as a bit of a joke but it came across a bit arrogant to me.

Reactions: 10
She has spent lots of money in decoration but most of it went towards the lounge, the other bits are still quite overlooked. Her place is really nice though and has lots of potential. I liked that she didn't edit out the mess (and it was quite messy).

Reactions: 3
Oh what to say, what to say

Firstly, the whole “cleaning out my closet doesn’t mean I’m whining about too many clothes” blah, blah, blah. This is what she does, says things out loud as if that’s enough to make them true/neutralize them. Doesn’t work and no one cares.

Secondly, this is completely staged. That’s not even 10% of her wardrobe. You know when she said these are a few of my coats but the rest are in the spare room? Guess what that room is? That room is the real closet with outrageous mess I reckon. So she’s like “I’m ashamed” but i guarantee this little slither of units is the tip of the iceberg.

Third, Zara I can’t support but here I am in a Zara dress that’s the best thing in my wardrobe. Why can’t you support Zara? What about H&M then? Oh they are okay? Anyway, expensive does not mean sustainable or eco friendly- many times it’s just a popular brand (Frankie shop, Toteme) with expensive real estate and marketing budgets. And flying your stuff in from Korea isn’t easy on the ole carbon footprint ya know.

In addition to her blathering on, it was complete nonsense -I think you should like stuff because you like it not because it costs a lot/ still I can’t support low cost fashion, because it’s disposable, but this one has lasted through endless wears with a little bit of mending, but... Oh dear God make it stop.

Is there anything at all helpful in her decluttering video? Not revolutionary. Didn’t show any thought process, methods. Just here’s a mess, here’s slightly less mess now.

My mum made me clean my room too when I was 7 and it looked nicer afterwards. If I filmed that it would have been more interesting/ insightful. She’s not giving out useful theory or advice or anything.

What she has illustrated is

1. she has no ideas for content
2. She has a lot of stuff because “it’s her job” when no, her word, curate, means you discern, not just accept everything and see what spaghetti sticks to the wall after endless crippling internal debates.
3. Instead of reducing her consumption she’d rather brag about recycling/ creating work for herself that does nothing except perpetuate a holding pattern until she buys another, almost identical version.

she does look a bit perkier. Perhaps this will get her rolling downhill a bit - but hopefully not into a wall just off the hamster wheel -LOL

I don’t think she is intending to move back in with Dean yet. She wants to eat all the cake (sticking with the theme of excess here) 😃

Last edited:
Hmm I dunno, think you might be a *little* harsh towards her, I thought the Zara talk was a good reminder that you don’t have to buy expensive clothes for them to last. She does ramble a tad about it though, and I liked her trying on outfits that was outside her usual style, like the cardigan!

I also appreciated the honesty about clothes and owning a lot, in the world of minimalism it was a little refreshing.

I thought it was a fun video which showed her a bit more upbeat, sometimes we can’t overthink these things too much x

Reactions: 9
I found it a bit boring, tbh. Again, Brittany doing things: interesting, Brittany focused on superficial consumerism: boring.
The apartment tour was cute but it could have been an instagram post. I agree with her, house tours are fun... if there's something to say about the home.
Like a lot of her content, it feels flat and superficial. I like maximalism, but that doesn't mean owning 20 of the same coats... that's just consumerism.

Reactions: 4
Have you watched her videos long Mermaid? Because at first I thought she was quite self deprecatingly honest too but the more I watched the more I see through it. She talks endlessly of how she wants to support sustainability and clean brands - but really, she is no better than the average high street shopper.

I dont have much of a problem with Zara - well I guess in the sense that the clothes made there are usually decently constructed. They do use sweatshops like almost everyone of any size. Which is gross but unfortunately also driven by consumers- we are part of that exploitation.

I actually do like that she is pointing out in a way that it's complicated. For example, I have a blazer from forever21 (the grossest retailer imaginable) that has lasted for 10 years! Over 10 years! And I still wear it. And I have clothing I've really saved for that I keep out of sheer guilt for spending so much and not wearing enough. LOL. I do understand.

It's her hypocrisy that gets me. The longer you watch her, the more you start to seethat she talks an endless good game that isn’t actually true the vast majority of the time.

She also constantly flubs stuff (I forget where this is from, I lost my memory card, I don't know what this is) and says it’s because she’s too tired, it’s lockdown etc when it’s just lack of effort. She apologizes for sounding spoilt but those statements also tend to be holier than thou humblebrags of the dishonest variety.

For example - on the caption of the flat tour. "I’m really fortunate for having these things because of my job." She doesn’t have these things because of her job, she has personal wealth. Well okay, I guess she does partially, if you take it literally.

But that's because, to begin with, she was in a comfortable enough position to be able to survive on getting paid with home wares and clothing. It’s not because she’s a talented YouTuber, at least not yet. The amount of sponsorships/ views does not add up to what she has in terms of lifestyle. There is very clearly some subsidizing going on here, likely from parents. And that's fine too, but I reckon it's annoying when presented as "due to my hard graft" kind of thing.

It's a bit like internships in NYC and people saying I got here (VP of PR, or designer or whatever) by my hard work when almost every internship is unpaid and requires wealth to begin with to dress the part, live less than an hour away and be able to sparkle on cue. That's not to say that they didn't work at it, but they were able to work at it because of someone providing for them when they got started.

It’s also the faux framing of it and constant staging while pretending it isn’t staging. I don’t even have a problem with staging even. I'm sure I'm not conveying this very clearly because it is kind of complex and meta and hard for me sometimes to wrap my head around- it’s the pretense that it's real. Even when she says, I'm going to reveal my imperfection, she isn't really, it's a curated version of her imperfection. Which, who can blame her but, isn't actually getting to the heart of anything and isn't really worth watching. Doesn't make her a bad person. Does make her boring.

And this is common in her world of influencing. Probably rare to have otherwise, but it does exist.

I’m honestly pretty much done at this point sad to say. I actually like a lot of stuff done right. I like crazy and interesting snd creative so it’s not that I think that’s morally wrong. Shoot you can be maximalist in the best possible way and minimalist too but pretending for styles sake gets old quickly.

I did see some potential and will check back to see if she radically reinvents herself and becomes less inward looking (a certain amount is refreshing but with her it’s become nauseatingly self centered). I hope she does but not holding my breath.

I think if she could channel her overthinking into creativity not just for the sake of appearance it could go along way and she might become inspiring. She has something, have always said that. I am a critic for sure. I'm not easily pleased. But when I am, I feel I release true joy :)

Last edited:
  • Heart
I feel like she uses a lot of points but it doesn't form an argument. Here's my e.g.
- talking about sustainable brands but constantly buying (or accepting gifts of) new things (clothes, books, all of it)
- talking about minimal aesthetics but constantly buying new things
- talking about tailoring but not explaining the small differences between her 90 pairs of navy dress pants to talk about what facets make them special.
- talking about anxiety a lot but then not sharing tips that are working for her beyond running which has never been framed by her as helping. Now you might say it's not her job to share what's working but I would ask is it her job to make anxiety undealt with a personality?
- talking about work but not showing herself doing it (e.g. imagine she made a video about editing and then got herself some work doing an online course like skillshare or something)
- talking about the apartment but not the history of the period features. There are so many great youtube and TV channels that really get into the craftsmanship, history, design choices. I think she likes being thought of as someone who could potentially make things because we see the art posters, art books, Dean, she uses some terms but... she doesn't make anything and she doesn't comment on anything with any real knowledge.

Again it's all very superficial.

Now, I like her channel a lot, I was really looking forward to this week. I just wish she'd go a bit deeper and show some real interest and learning. The most we get from her is really flat commentary, just enough to make her consumerism seem thoughtful. I wish she'd go a bit deeper into something. I feel like at her age and with some of the changes she's made in life... I'm speaking from personal experience but maybe she's in a crisis because she has no purpose. I wonder how interesting she might be if she got a job-job.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
First time posting here. Hmm extremely interesting what I have read on this thread especially comments from people who have experienced her bullying and nasty nature (which I know to be true). Personally, i can guarantee she has an account here, obsesses over these comments and it wouldn’t surprise me if she wrote on here in reply to people throwing herself a bone but adding some “balance” to not make it so obvious. Even in her very early days of Instagram she was copying accounts and other people’s lead. Which in itself wasn’t anything that out of the ordinary we’re all inspired on some level. But BB would never credit or acknowledge those she was copying, she would follow them at a distance whilst trying to absorb as much of them as she could (every minute detail like following all their friends personal accounts etc. Kind of like snaking her way in to the nest). When she was called out on it a few times she was NASTY! And I mean like really nasty. I’d go as far as gaslighting the victim at the time. Making them out to be “delusional” when my friend blocked her and tried to maintain some distance, she made fake accounts and clutched at other methods of contact, she wrote horrible passive tweets, she wrote fake nasty comments and there’s evidence of this because someone I know actually traced the IP address (this lie that influencers spread explained here) which matched the IP address she was using for genuine commenting with her gmail email on blogger or whatever the platform add on was at the time.

i think someone else said it but for those that really don’t like her, don’t and avoid her entirely. I think she’s done incredibly well for herself and carved out a niche a lot of people associate the aesthetic with her whether or not it‘s genuinely hers or not. I think if you take a step back, regardless of your opinions of everyone it speaks for itself. Influencers in the industry they have friends and she just really doesn’t,she made desperate attempts to be in with Lizzie at one point but Lizzie and Lindsey are just more natural. I’m sure these girls get on at events but who’s actually showing up in her life she never speaks about anyone. Lilly and Anna, Ameliana and estee.But BB is an outlier to me. I don’t wish anyone unwell in their life. These comments about her furnishing her new place with £500 lamps and making herself feel better with £1000 shoes. It’s all well and good but unless you have soul and substance something that lights you up in life it’s all a bit empty and sad.
She to me is an extremely obsessive personality she takes someone and tries to compete with them by copying them but doing it better so to speak. And she chooses her targets well. Even the running thing which she goes on about so much now she only started that because of someone else and then used to deliberately try and out do them. the new video she has done is horrendous attempt at humour. Her self depreciation is awkward because she’s the personality that wouldnt put anything on the internet she hasn’t obsessed over every inch of for days, so she obviously did think that was a funny foray into interesting content. She’s not naturally funny or able to pull off that kind of satire on any level. It’s a huge rip off of Tamsin Amy on TikTok/insta trend who plays up to her middle class lifestyle with narrated videos talking obscenely about it.
It’s all really sad but if anyone threatens her reality/curated perfection she becomes very unhinged and defensive. I don’t think she’s truly comfortable with showing true emotion or the real BB and it just must be terribly exhausting keeping up appearances constantly. I think she needs to choose her camp if she wants to be a fashion influencer OR an “influencer” that shares their lifestyle and truly reflects that. Also don’t buy her anything she says about mental health etc. how she’s spoken to other people before and the psycho tendencies she will go to. The girl has some serious issues and I’m glad she’s addressing them with therapy.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
First time posting here. Hmm extremely interesting what I have read on this thread especially comments from people who have experienced her bullying and nasty nature (which I know to be true). Personally, i can guarantee she has an account here, obsesses over these comments and it wouldn’t surprise me if she wrote on here in reply to people throwing herself a bone but adding some “balance” to not make it so obvious. Even in her very early days of Instagram she was copying accounts and other people’s lead. Which in itself wasn’t anything that out of the ordinary we’re all inspired on some level. But BB would never credit or acknowledge those she was copying, she would follow them at a distance whilst trying to absorb as much of them as she could (every minute detail like following all their friends personal accounts etc. Kind of like snaking her way in to the nest). When she was called out on it a few times she was NASTY! And I mean like really nasty. I’d go as far as gaslighting the victim at the time. Making them out to be “delusional” when my friend blocked her and tried to maintain some distance, she made fake accounts and clutched at other methods of contact, she wrote horrible passive tweets, she wrote fake nasty comments and there’s evidence of this because someone I know actually traced the IP address (this lie that influencers spread explained here) which matched the IP address she was using for genuine commenting with her gmail email on blogger or whatever the platform add on was at the time.

i think someone else said it but for those that really don’t like her, don’t and avoid her entirely. I think she’s done incredibly well for herself and carved out a niche a lot of people associate the aesthetic with her whether or not it‘s genuinely hers or not. I think if you take a step back, regardless of your opinions of everyone it speaks for itself. Influencers in the industry they have friends and she just really doesn’t,she made desperate attempts to be in with Lizzie at one point but Lizzie and Lindsey are just more natural. I’m sure these girls get on at events but who’s actually showing up in her life she never speaks about anyone. Lilly and Anna, Ameliana and estee.But BB is an outlier to me. I don’t wish anyone unwell in their life. These comments about her furnishing her new place with £500 lamps and making herself feel better with £1000 shoes. It’s all well and good but unless you have soul and substance something that lights you up in life it’s all a bit empty and sad.
She to me is an extremely obsessive personality she takes someone and tries to compete with them by copying them but doing it better so to speak. And she chooses her targets well. Even the running thing which she goes on about so much now she only started that because of someone else and then used to deliberately try and out do them. the new video she has done is horrendous attempt at humour. Her self depreciation is awkward because she’s the personality that wouldnt put anything on the internet she hasn’t obsessed over every inch of for days, so she obviously did think that was a funny foray into interesting content. She’s not naturally funny or able to pull off that kind of satire on any level. It’s a huge rip off of Tamsin Amy on TikTok/insta trend who plays up to her middle class lifestyle with narrated videos talking obscenely about it.
It’s all really sad but if anyone threatens her reality/curated perfection she becomes very unhinged and defensive. I don’t think she’s truly comfortable with showing true emotion or the real BB and it just must be terribly exhausting keeping up appearances constantly. I think she needs to choose her camp if she wants to be a fashion influencer OR an “influencer” that shares their lifestyle and truly reflects that. Also don’t buy her anything she says about mental health etc. how she’s spoken to other people before and the psycho tendencies she will go to. The girl has some serious issues and I’m glad she’s addressing them with therapy.
Yikes! Are there some examples of the bullying and nasty comments

Reactions: 2

yes, you know the Brittany I know then. The one where she would add an entire persons friends list, steal their MySpace profile layout, replicate their pictures...there is no original thought there. She is just very good at marketing herself.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I feel like she uses a lot of points but it doesn't form an argument. Here's my e.g.
- talking about sustainable brands but constantly buying (or accepting gifts of) new things (clothes, books, all of it)
- talking about minimal aesthetics but constantly buying new things
- talking about tailoring but not explaining the small differences between her 90 pairs of navy dress pants to talk about what facets make them special.
- talking about anxiety a lot but then not sharing tips that are working for her beyond running which has never been framed by her as helping. Now you might say it's not her job to share what's working but I would ask is it her job to make anxiety undealt with a personality?
- talking about work but not showing herself doing it (e.g. imagine she made a video about editing and then got herself some work doing an online course like skillshare or something)
- talking about the apartment but not the history of the period features. There are so many great youtube and TV channels that really get into the craftsmanship, history, design choices. I think she likes being thought of as someone who could potentially make things because we see the art posters, art books, Dean, she uses some terms but... she doesn't make anything and she doesn't comment on anything with any real knowledge.

Again it's all very superficial.

Now, I like her channel a lot, I was really looking forward to this week. I just wish she'd go a bit deeper and show some real interest and learning. The most we get from her is really flat commentary, just enough to make her consumerism seem thoughtful. I wish she'd go a bit deeper into something. I feel like at her age and with some of the changes she's made in life... I'm speaking from personal experience but maybe she's in a crisis because she has no purpose. I wonder how interesting she might be if she got a job-job.
I heart these comments. Just emphasizing (I know I already did heart it). They are less mean and more constructive than mine. Although it seems from several folks now that Brittany is the Queen of Mean in real life. Who knows? I don't know her. I do get a sense of that b/c I was bullied as a kid and sometimes I see shades. But cannot confirm so not going to dwell. It would explain some things. It is very interesting and juicy I must say.

But yes, back to these points. I feel good about them b/c I feel like, we in the Brittany Bathgate critique society (LOLLOLLOL) have arrived at a logical consensus of sorts that the vlog "could be good" (well some of us) and you were able to tangibly point out how as opposed to my general rant/ whine.

And yes (lots o' yeses basically) it does all boil down to the fact that she is lacking DEPTH and in the shallow end paddling pool the whole time despite yelling from a far that she's actually about to take a dive (how do you like that for profound/ deep).

Not to say that she needs to be a world class expert but pursue or learn something interesting beyond that looks nice with that on me, in my house etc. Provide context. Write. Explore construction. Explore mental health and share. Get a real job (only kidding, well sorta) and share. She used to be a visual merchandizer - share that. Visual merchandizing is quite interesting and there is a lot of theory to it. When you look at a space, how do you judge it, what inspires, what concepts work well - what was frustrating about it? I don't know, maybe that's totally wanky too but point taken, the depth is the missing element.

One wonders if perhaps she can escape the confirms of her proverbial arse to do this? Hahahahaha. No dead serious, I'm finding commenting and reading people here much more fun than her content. And I feel like I'm learning a lot too (aww bless). Bit of a shame for her but nice for us. So, side benefits - thank you.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I heart these comments. Just emphasizing (I know I already did heart it). They are less mean and more constructive than mine. Although it seems from several folks now that Brittany is the Queen of Mean in real life. Who knows? I don't know her. I do get a sense of that b/c I was bullied as a kid and sometimes I see shades. But cannot confirm so not going to dwell. It would explain some things. It is very interesting and juicy I must say.

But yes, back to these points. I feel good about them b/c I feel like, we in the Brittany Bathgate critique society (LOLLOLLOL) have arrived at a logical consensus of sorts that the vlog "could be good" (well some of us) and you were able to tangibly point out how as opposed to my general rant/ whine.

And yes (lots o' yeses basically) it does all boil down to the fact that she is lacking DEPTH and in the shallow end paddling pool the whole time despite yelling from a far that she's actually about to take a dive (how do you like that for profound/ deep).

Not to say that she needs to be a world class expert but pursue or learn something interesting beyond that looks nice with that on me, in my house etc. Provide context. Write. Explore construction. Explore mental health and share. Get a real job (only kidding, well sorta) and share. She used to be a visual merchandizer - share that. Visual merchandizing is quite interesting and there is a lot of theory to it. When you look at a space, how do you judge it, what inspires, what concepts work well - what was frustrating about it? I don't know, maybe that's totally wanky too but point taken, the depth is the missing element.

One wonders if perhaps she can escape the confirms of her proverbial arse to do this? Hahahahaha. No dead serious, I'm finding commenting and reading people here much more fun than her content. And I feel like I'm learning a lot too (aww bless). Bit of a shame for her but nice for us. So, side benefits - thank you.
Yes! Bang on here. Have had the same thoughts about visual merchandizing. And agree, "could be good" is the consensus but imagine that is your crit. Like.... if someone heard that in crit they would likely choose to give up, ignore it, double down and focus, get life lessons and return to a craft later with more awareness. Which has BB done? I wonder (based on comments from folks who perhaps know her or even just our commentary) what her reaction would be when confronted with this stuff? My hunch is she's somewhere between give up and ignore.

To me the whole vibe smacks of, she is lost because she builds nothing, has little purpose and little direction. What is she working towards? Building content on a different platform and becoming a personality? Making clothes? Covering clothes? Design job of some sort?

I think she had that visual merchandizer job then started getting paid from social media and that is it. That stunted thing has left her with a sense of potential and authority but no work (beyond ... instagram posts) to back it up. Part of what we all seem to glean to with Dean is that he is interesting and all we seem to know of him is that he builds houses, designs stuff and paints. Everyone needs a purpose and direction. I suspect Brittany suffers from not having this. Hopefully for her it's something she's addressing in therapy.

I went way back to earlier posts to hunt down comments from folks who know her. Saw a past uproar on the thread about BB and privilege. Makes me think... why are we all watching her? Some random person living their life? That would be fine, but no we're watching her because something here feels like she is someone with worthy commentary or someone to look to for authority and guidance or someone who is entertaining. But I don't think she's delivering for us on any of that. Don't mean to be harsh there but she needs some substance. Imagine she took a design course or a textiles course or something.

Also as someone who used to work in restaurants and did some levels in WSET, I have to say... nothing is more irritating to me than people commenting on wine trends (orange wine for e.g.) as if they knew what they were talking about but with zero interest. I get you like those labels' style and the style of the chi-chi wine glasses but... take a wine class. Show us some learning or knowledge or passion. Wine should not be a snobby thing in my books, great pairings are super fun to talk about and you don't need to be a sommelier to do it... but just saying you're buying a lot of orange wine is such a front.

Honestly, it's my pet peeve when people take classes of any kind and then three weeks later they position themselves as experts. One cours doesn't an expert make. And this is basically the whole influencer culture imho.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Honestly, it's my pet peeve when people take classes of any kind and then three weeks later they position themselves as experts. One cours doesn't an expert make. And this is basically the whole influencer culture imho.
I don’t think most influencer even take any courses. It’s probably watching a youtube video or reading couple of posts on instagram they do.

• Haha
Yes, fair point here, but how about you take the class, don’t declare yourself an expert, don’t necessarily need to talk about the class and promote the company with a tag (eyeroll). Simply apply it and become better at what you do and more knowledgable?

These sorts of things, and taking a class is only one of them, help you find a purpose, allow you to perhaps discover new skills...

and, ahem, become more INTERESTING, maybe

I totally get what you mean though. A friend of mine (very skilled, very humble) once said that people on the internet who say they have “pro-tips” should be ignored. It’s a good call! Those people tend to be anything but expert. The I’ve “taken a course” types.

And “I’ve taken one wine class” experts are particularly insufferable. Especially if they do the thing where they swish the wine back and forth in their mouth and hold it up to the light to pontificate. Hahaha. Tossers. I do get it.

I think maybe the general point here is that she is leading a non expansive, self perpetuating existence that’s fairly dull. She’s a bit of a mousy brown hamster on a wheel- a Margaret Howell hamster wheel maybe, but still a wheel on the path to nowhere fun 😂🤣 Branching out into the world could maybe stem the atrophy?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
In her latest vlog she's trying so hard to be funny and likeable. She's trying too hard. Her sense of humour shows a terrible lack of original humour. It's like she's been reading here (which she probably has) and decided to do a "funny" skit as a two fingers up to us but it's horribly backfired and just comes across as terribly bitter, like she knows exactly what people think of her and is trying to poke fun at the situation but the reality is reading the comments here and knowing what people think of her has probably knocked her incredibly thin confidence!

Reactions: 13
But she could show herself learning. Right now she's talking like an expert with nothing to back it up.

Reactions: 3
But she could show herself learning. Right now she's talking like an expert with nothing to back it up.
Exactly. The best way to actually become an expert is to....drum roll....do the work, take the courses, go to the things, chat to the people, listen as well as watch, practice, be okay with failure, know that your learning is never done, you can always glean something and then, guess what? You become respected organically. The pandemic was a hindrance to this for sure but not totally. In some ways it provided opportunities to do more of this kind of thing. Just about every art museum did free talks/classes/drawing rooms on zoom etc.

There's nothing wrong with being an amateur, but as an amateur if you are truly into something generally I would think you naturally seek out knowledge not just rake in the freebies and "curate" them into your "lifestyle" and "depop" the detritus?

It would be really nice to see more fashion influencers who 1/ Are not overly made up sexy, look like a rich girl, capsule wardrobe, hipster who reads or unbox the brand "haul" tropes 2/ Have style that appeals more to women who are low key cool with smarts but not in a faux intellectual way 4/ Knows what they are talking about. I don't think that really exists yet in great number. And BB does approach it on many more levels than a lot of them out there for sure.

That's what I meant before when I said the bar is really low for "fashion" influencers a few weeks ago. But that in itself is an opportunity for someone to go in there and really fulfill this niche properly/well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.