Brittany Bathgate #2 Buying things to fill the gaping hole in her personality

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So many intelligent voices on this thread - regardless if we disagree. I just want to say I'm happy to be here for that and the humor. I don't think there's a bad egg among us and that's pretty rare. I like coming here much more than viewing the actual vlogs :D

You all keep me from going completely stir crazy from being stuck at home and I'm not easily pleased. Ha! I, for one, hope she doesn't go exclusively to Patreon and keeps doing some free stuff so we can keep this going for that reason (somewhat selfish).

P.S. Not because I enjoy dissing BB because I do watch her for a different point of view/ Inspo. too. It's not all bad. I know this isn't the "rave" thread but I honestly don't see it as purely a "rant" thread either - more critique which is probably too lofty a word, but hopefully you get what I mean?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
So many intelligent voices on this thread - regardless if we disagree. I just want to say I'm happy to be here for that and the humor. I don't think there's a bad egg among us and that's pretty rare. I like coming here much more than viewing the actual vlogs :D

You all keep me from going completely stir crazy from being stuck at home and I'm not easily pleased. Ha! I, for one, hope she doesn't go exclusively to Patreon and keeps doing some free stuff so we can keep this going for that reason (somewhat selfish).

P.S. Not because I enjoy dissing BB because I do watch her for a different point of view/ Inspo. too. It's not all bad. I know this isn't the "rave" thread but I honestly don't see it as purely a "rant" thread either - more critique which is probably too lofty a word, but hopefully you get what I mean?
We are critiquing which involves criticism and praise, but she only wants praise. I've never had a job where I've not been critiqued and I don't see why influencers should get a pass because of their "mental health". As long as the criticism is constructive and not rude, why wouldn't you want to hear it and improve.

You can't be an influencer if you aren't willing to listen to those you seek to sell to. Unfortunately she doesn't see herself as a salesperson/ marketer but a creative/artist. Creatives carry on with their hobby regardless of critique or low income because they are doing it for the love of their art not the money. Brittany is not a creative, she works in marketing, plain and simple.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I value my time too much to sit through a video of BB waffling on, so I am less informed on all this, but it seems like all these influencers repeat the same empty disclaimer of "I know I'm so lucky to have this life/career/stuff, BUT..." moan, moan, moan. To the point where the statement is meaningless. But to be honest, MH or not, complaining is an acceptable social crutch nowadays. Everyone knows that videos complaining about something get more views than positive videos. As if being critical is a marker of intelligence and credibility, something I do think BB capitalizes on, intentionally or not. But I agree that it's unprofessional to complain about your chosen career to the very people who support it (and handsomely, I might add). Talk about biting the hands that feed you.

Also, @Joannabloggs nailed it, BB is a marketer. Any marketer will tell you that you have to know your audience so you can anticipate what they want. Your customers don't like your brand of dogfood? Boohoo, you don't go on all your socials and point fingers saying that their demand for non-crappy dogfood is causing your emotional implosion. You find out what they didn't like about your product and fix your tit. Or if you're clever, repackage it with a snazzy redesign, which seems to be what BB is trying to do with Patreon. People catch on to that pretty quick though.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
We are critiquing which involves criticism and praise, but she only wants praise. I've never had a job where I've not been critiqued and I don't see why influencers should get a pass because of their "mental health". As long as the criticism is constructive and not rude, why wouldn't you want to hear it and improve.

You can't be an influencer if you aren't willing to listen to those you seek to sell to. Unfortunately she doesn't see herself as a salesperson/ marketer but a creative/artist. Creatives carry on with their hobby regardless of critique or low income because they are doing it for the love of their art not the money. Brittany is not a creative, she works in marketing, plain and simple.
Even if she truly was a "creative" (hate that term), in the real world, being an artist also involves being on the receiving end of quite a lot of criticism. Has she never heard of a film or art critic? A writers' workshop? How is it that all those galleries she claims to love select art to display? Curators make decisions based on...wait for it...critique!

BB is living in a toxic fantasy of her own making.

Reactions: 8
Ok so laughing a little at myself here but go with me for a minute...

I like watching Fashion Mumbler occasionally because she just seems a bit ditzy and honestly I turn my mind off a little. She seems the antithesis of BB right? Style, authenticity and also.... success wise.

Honestly, watch 35:00 - 39:00, she spoke at a panel on influencing as a career and she didn't say anything groundbreaking however it would be groundbreaking to BB. It's a job, you market yourself but particularly - you track your data and what your followers are interested in to adapt to meet their interest and make it a job. Honestly, FM is a bit more authentic in a way than BB. Give it a quick watch.

Even from the thumbnail it seems SO ODD to post here but really interesting to compare an influencer I think BB would likely find vapid or glossy etc. and her perspective on the job they both have.

Reactions: 8
Brace yourselves for

"It's been so long hasn't it, oh sorry the battery died, well not really that long, in reality, I've only been gone 5 years, I feel like I'm apologizing when there is no need for apology as I'm mentally ill, oops, that's the doorbell, I'm going to start really working hard, releasing things daily, sign up now, wait, don't leave, there's more, if you call today, you will also get to witness me not following through on anything for free..."

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Brace yourselves for

"It's been so long hasn't it, oh sorry the battery died, well not really that long, in reality, I've only been gone 5 years, I feel like I'm apologizing when there is no need for apology as I'm mentally ill, oops, that's the doorbell, I'm going to start really working hard, releasing things daily, sign up now, wait, don't leave, there's more, if you call today, you will also get to witness me not following through on anything for free..."
ā€˜But defo sign up for my Patreon where Iā€™ll be super consistent and accessible!ā€™

Reactions: 11
No doubt she's been doom strolling through tattle whilst she's "sick". Probably blames us for her agoraphobia

Reactions: 4
There was interesting article in The NY Times today basically about a Tik tok star leveraging mental health as content. The "social media degrades my mental health so I document it on social media" paradox loop. And also the talking about "mental health" as if super aware and open but not actually addressing mental illness at all. Using it as click bait. Not that she is for sure doing this but made me think of BB. Being an influencer is one of the worst professions for someone who struggles with what she describes herself struggling with (agoraphobia, OCD, anxiety).

Notice how I didn't say her illnesses, because I don't actually know. Heck the treatment for agoraphobia is to go outside more not less. It's more complicated than that and gradual, but, let's just say it's not to stay inside more, to not get out of bed. People who have phobias are generally encouraged to face them and desensitize themselves to them with the help of a professional. If BB is really struggling with these things she might want to reconsider her profession and yes, that's what it is. It's not a hobby. And it's a profession in which routine, structure, outward thinking and teamwork are not as necessary as others - all things that can help.

Additionally her talking about them this way doesn't do much if anything to improve the situation for herself or others. It's almost like taped rumination/ stream of consciousness. Depression is furthered by this characteristic and it leads one further down the rabbit hole in my experience. Her actively talking about the hard stuff of treatment might help others and herself but she's too "private" for that. That's okay but it's like either tit or get off the pot you know? Ha. It's a bit like when she shares stuff about her relationship but then complains everyone is so nosey. Well, go talk to your therapist if you don't feel comfortable.

The way she talks about her issues tends to be as an excuse as to why she hasn't done something like upload more content than to actually be honest and impart information and personal experience that might reduce stigma or help others address things. She doesn't have to do anything but for those of us who have legitimate mental health concerns the appearance of someone using mental health issues in such a way (as a sorry I didn't do this I've been depressed, afraid to go outside, anxious) diminishes it and also propagates the stigma we fight against. That if we just buck up and try harder we would get stuff done.

Reactions: 13
There was interesting article in The NY Times today basically about a Tik tok star leveraging mental health as content. The "social media degrades my mental health so I document it on social media" paradox loop. And also the talking about "mental health" as if super aware and open but not actually addressing mental illness at all. Using it as click bait. Not that she is for sure doing this but made me think of BB. Being an influencer is one of the worst professions for someone who struggles with what she describes herself struggling with (agoraphobia, OCD, anxiety).

Notice how I didn't say her illnesses, because I don't actually know. Heck the treatment for agoraphobia is to go outside more not less. It's more complicated than that and gradual, but, let's just say it's not to stay inside more, to not get out of bed. People who have phobias are generally encouraged to face them and desensitize themselves to them with the help of a professional. If BB is really struggling with these things she might want to reconsider her profession and yes, that's what it is. It's not a hobby. And it's a profession in which routine, structure, outward thinking and teamwork are not as necessary as others - all things that can help.

Additionally her talking about them this way doesn't do much if anything to improve the situation for herself or others. It's almost like taped rumination/ stream of consciousness. Depression is furthered by this characteristic and it leads one further down the rabbit hole in my experience. Her actively talking about the hard stuff of treatment might help others and herself but she's too "private" for that. That's okay but it's like either tit or get off the pot you know? Ha. It's a bit like when she shares stuff about her relationship but then complains everyone is so nosey. Well, go talk to your therapist if you don't feel comfortable.

The way she talks about her issues tends to be as an excuse as to why she hasn't done something like upload more content than to actually be honest and impart information and personal experience that might reduce stigma or help others address things. She doesn't have to do anything but for those of us who have legitimate mental health concerns the appearance of someone using mental health issues in such a way (as a sorry I didn't do this I've been depressed, afraid to go outside, anxious) diminishes it and also propagates the stigma we fight against. That if we just buck up and try harder we would get stuff done.

Thatā€™s a really interesting article, thank you for sharing it.

• Heart
Reactions: 1

Thanks for sharing this and an insightful post. I have OCD and depression, am working on cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to address these root causes by recognizing them and then confronting them and hopefully living with these things in a much different way where I can notice, manage and choose to do/think differently. Being overly generous here to BB, perhaps she's in a phase of awareness that she has these things. Which might come before addressing them and moving forward. I have found many folks in that stage share a lot of personal info. That's because when you actually get into the work it's insular and tough. I do think there's validity and good coming from people discussing mental health openly and for all women, to discuss health at large because there is stigma and bias in many of the systems we navigate through, medicine, etc. BUT I think BB is just sharing this stuff thinking she's enlightened and I think it would be more helpful to her and her viewers to focus on what is being shared and done and why rather than using these diagnoses (if they are diagnosed) as excuses. She just seems.....not a very insightful person to me. I feel like she's talking about these things at the same superficial level in which she discusses art, museums, clothing. She doesn't get deep, so she's an ad to me, not the editorial that made me buy the magazine, if that makes sense.

This all might be a bit harsh but as someone working doggedly on my mental health who also works somewhere where some of the world's biggest brands are constantly clammering for superficial content on mental health to emotionally greenwash their companies... I find bringing up mental health to market a product/brand/influencer very harmful. I truly hope that BB's journey includes building awareness and insights on herself and how her career/hobby is a hinderance or could be a help.

Reactions: 9
Just to continue what @brerwhabbit is saying: Having paying subscribers also means (but not entirely limited to) that you are beholden to them. BB doesn't owe her paying subs anything but opening up to paid content always comes at a price, and you can't give flimsy excuses like you forgot to charge camera or forgot to vlog when people are paying for the content. Not saying it'll get vicious either but i've done both the subscription model and the tip model and being consistent is a difficult game, especially when you consider something a "hobby" and not paid work.
This is spot on! I was confused by this because she's basically saying that she'll be more consistent on the platform that pays her, but then what does that actually mean? If she's so easily affected by her current fluid upload schedule, how in the world would she be able to keep up with that content, instagram content, plus paid content on patreon? Not sure how adding yet another platform would alleviate the feeling she describes -- which is basically anxiety to perform. I don't think she thought through bringing that sort of ultimatum to her viewers. Weirdly, there are some claiming that they would actually pay to see her on patreon without even knowing what sort of content she's planning...I guess people have tons of money to throw away on bs.

Reactions: 5
Video with Mejuri here ft. ā€˜going to the tailorā€™ and doing ā€˜work at the studioā€™: šŸ‘ŒšŸ¼

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Video with Mejuri here ft. ā€˜going to the tailorā€™ and doing ā€˜work at the studioā€™: šŸ‘ŒšŸ¼
its funny that she says vlogging is a hobby but here her whole 'work' day consists of editing said hobby

• Haha
Reactions: 9
I swear this video is just clips of old videos strung together.

Also, while weā€™re not on the topic of copying, have any of you heard of aoifemulvenna? Now thatā€™s a BB wannabe. Unless, of course, itā€™s BB copying her.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
They're becoming a parody now, aren't they. Oscar nominated 'waking up' scene, surrounded by Tekla bedding. Sip a matcha latte. Nibble on an avocado. Throw on some Birkenstocks and a Uniqlo coat, and go and do something really challenging, like visit the tailor or buy an overpriced pastry. Complain to the world how difficult life is. Wave to camera. Fade to black.

• Haha
Reactions: 23