Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
JAMC got back together in recent years but I think they had been writing perhaps so not so much a cash in? I went to see them on the tour and it was so boring 😭 (I'd seen them loads before and it was always great).
JAMC are really hit and miss live. My H is a massive fan, and I am not especially. We saw Jim Reid solo ages ago at Night and Day Cafe (tiny) where I got a ticket on the door on the night! He was great and grumpy as you'd expect.
After JAMC reformed, I'd say they were really good/great about half the times we saw them, the other half, they kind of phoned it in.

ETA Jim's solo soundcheck was a hoot -
Jim: *Groans into mic* Yeah, that's fine. *wanders off backstage*

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 7

jazzmonster

Chatty Member
Haha, maybe I should become a fashion influencer after all! And now that I got reminded of my old shoes, I’d like to get a green pair again myself!

By the way, Solovair have great customer service. I ordered two pairs in different styles and sent one back, and their delivery and refund was quick and well-documented.

jazzmonster

Chatty Member
I was quite fond of Sleeper back in the day. Not so much now but I still admire Louise Wener. I think they played a few shows this year.
Louise Wener wrote some brilliant novels and a very interesting memoir. Highly recommend all of them. Wish she’d write another one.

I hope that if it is true, that they've reported it to the Police in the first instance, particularly if, as they're suggesting, it's a pattern.

I loved both of those second albums (at a later date as I think I was a touch too wee at the time and was still into Wet Wet Wet) but, as I wanted to piss folk off as a teen, insisted I hated the Roses until I listened to them more in my v late teens/early twenties, when I had to admit defeat 🤣

• Heart

digsydelilah

Chatty Member
Oh yes, Impulse Zen, I had that too!

I wonder what fragrances our Britpop heroines and heroes wore, if any!
I remember Noel Gallagher was wearing CK One for a while. I got it for Christmas in 1996 and posed with it for the video camera: "the scent of Noel Gallagher~~" 🙈 I was 25. 🙊

Oasis (and Blur) can be blamed for a lot of my 90s style - Noel G hair and a lot of second hand men's clothing, right down to the shoes (not recommended), handmade necklaces (de rigueur) etc. I really only came out of it in 2001, haha.

I have fond memories of the small Body Shop location in our town at the time, all the sample bottles of perfume with the glass tester wands in them. I really loved dewberry too as well as sandalwood. My sister's favourite is still white musk. I was shocked when I heard (here!) that they were moving into mlm.

• Heart
  • Haha

jazzmonster

Chatty Member
Seconding buying Solovairs instead of Docs. Only marginally more expensive and much better quality. I didn’t even get a single blister when they were new.

Cannoteven

There were stories like that about their first drummer, The Hib.

I saw Mansun a couple of times in the '90s and they were a good live band. Paul Draper had very little connection with the audience, sometimes performed with his back to us and almost never spoke, but the music was great and he could sing, so we let him off. Chad was a bit weird - I remember he was dribbling on himself at one gig - but Stove was always there with a cheeky wink or a smile. The first time I saw them, Embrace were supporting and they were crap. I think it was Rialto the second time and they were brilliant.

Super Furry Animals didn't really connect with their audience either. I found them overrated after seeing them live.

Another band that get written off are Shed Seven. They were brilliant live and always had good chat with the crowd. Echobelly too, and Longpigs.
Shed Seven are still brilliant love, great rapport with the audience, give us exactly what we want and really appreciative. I've loved them since Dolphin and think they should have been so much bigger than they were - but always stuck to their York roots so wonder if that went against them?

digsydelilah

Chatty Member
I love Sandstorm by Cast.

Did anyone listen to The Evening Sessions (Jo Wiley and Steve Lamaq) in the 90s? I loved it. There were so many great bands and singers that I heard for the first time on that show.

I also loved the White Room, when I was looking it up I saw this tape, it was a classic!

View attachment 2339956
I have this cassette! Another one as well that's songs to drive to, wonderful keepsakes now. The quality of this stuff not to mention the magazines themselves was second to none. I had hundreds of issues of Q, Select, Mojo (and earlier on Smash Hits) as well as the music papers. I could only keep a choice few over several moves. 🫤
---
I really need to check out these books! I have Miki Berenyi’s but not read it yet.
I'm just over 100 pages in on Miki's book and it's a very interesting read so far, although heartbreaking, her childhood was absolutely bonkers. 😕💔 I'm looking forward to reading about the start of Lush and meeting Emma in the band. I also have Viv Albertine's book to read next.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I wasn’t implying that you were being racist in your post. They’ve used a double-entendre that could be the ‘clue’ to the man’s identity but also acts as a dog whistle to those looking for it.
When this first came up, on the Celeb gossip thread someone said 'Green banana' was a reference to an underage person. No racial connection at all.

I genuinely hope that's the case (even though the whole post and potential situation is awful) because if there is racism hidden in plain sight as well, it becomes even more depressing.

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
With The Stone Roses’ Second Coming, I was too young to have known about them before, so I had no expectations, and loved it.

With Dog Man Star, there’s an interview with Kele Okereke from Bloc Party where weirdly his experience of that album is so like mine, except I didn’t have many albums and won this one in a competition.

But like him, I hated it at first 🤣 and kept on listening, because I just had this little collection, and then, like he says, it seeps into you.

IMG_4730.jpeg

---
I loved both of those second albums (at a later date as I think I was a touch too wee at the time and was still into Wet Wet Wet) but, as I wanted to piss folk off as a teen, insisted I hated the Roses until I listened to them more in my v late teens/early twenties, when I had to admit defeat 🤣
I love that level of pettiness! 🤣

• Haha

Carefree

VIP Member
Just to add to the Docs chat, most are now made in China and aren't really the quality of yore. Solovair used to make the ones from the 90s and are still out there making shoes in Northampton.

Peonyrose

VIP Member
That bag was my schoolbag🤣Worn with one strap naturally.
I was 17 in 1997 and my shop of choice was the army and navy surplus store.
Flared cords/jeans-bottoms cut off for the fringe effect- band tees, 70’s adidas tees (worn tight), army shirts and docs/ campus runners.
Perfume was Tribe/Charlie Red/ Exclamation/Body Shop White Musk and CK One.
Hair was short. Very short.

bourb0nbiscuits

Chatty Member
On the tail end of Britpop but I’m going to see Richard Ashcroft tomorrow and cannot freakin’ wait!
Oh my god I’m so jealous! Enjoy 😊 Urban Hymns is my favourite ever album , I’ve bought it in various forms about 4 times because it’s either got scratched on cd or I’ve downloaded it
---
It didn’t help that I bought all mine small In the first place.

What colour were your gazelles? Mine were green and I bought them from a hyper market in France on a day trip!
Black with yellow stripes 🤩 had a pair of navy puma states too. Did anyone else have one of those adidas tight fitting t shirts like blur Used to wear think I had mine from a second hand shop wore it with a a line mini or cords

Last edited:
  • Heart

Skinnylike

considering noel’s upbringing and his mums experience you’d think he would use his brain and not do this

Sideboard Bob

VIP Member
Impulse Zen was my fave.

IMG_5171.jpeg

And I’m sorry this isn’t very Britpop of me, but I loved this one too , it was surprisingly nice!

IMG_5172.jpeg

• Heart