Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

this_n_that

SFA did have some great songs at the time, I liked Ice Hockey Hair, Something 4 The Weekend, and Northern Lites, but I think they lost the general appeal they had. They were very Welsh and I wonder if that was a factor. I know the lead singer released an album in Welsh which is completely fine but isn't going to have mass appeal.
I saw SFA in New Orleans at a Jazz festivals in the early 2000's I thought they were great. Gruff did a bit of the gig sitting down it was so hot! I still listen to his solo stuff which is pretty interesting but he said he was really uncomfortable with Brit Pop, the SFAs were influenced American rock. Also there was a thing called 'Cool Cymru' which was basically the Welsh Britpop with bands like SFA, Catatonia, Stereophonics, Duffy etc

• Heart
Reactions: 8

shellie

VIP Member
considering noel’s upbringing and his mums experience you’d think he would use his brain and not do this
Yep, that was my first thought too. Having been brought up in that kind of environment myself, I am scratching my head over how out of all the people he could choose, he picked him. I mean he literally had Serge opening for him a few days before so he could have asked him to carry on for the rest of the dates but nope.

Maybe he will honestly never do it again and has 'learnt his lesson' but it's the fact he was so quick to victimize himself at the time that got to me, especially with the 'essay' he wrote that was full of self-pity while claiming he deserved what he got. Worse still was the fact some of his fans were so sure she did something to cause it so they could justify what he did and used the fact she forgave him and claimed it wasn't actually DV to prove their point not realising that it is actually very common for victims to forgive and blame themselves as well.

I used to really like Noel...he was always my favourite back in the day as Liam always acted and behaved like a self-entitled dick but now....he seems to have turned into the person he always used to call out and it is so depressing.

• Wow
Dog man star holds up to the test of time. Jarvis I adore. I also love Divine Comedy. Music was so diverse I the 90s. I love it all
I was just telling my son about Divine Comedy. He's really into Brit pop stuff (he's 14) and particularly likes Blur so is watching them on TV tonight with me.

I was meant to see Divine Comedy last year. I'd got tickets but my ex refused to look after the children for the evening so I didn't get to go in the end. I was gutted.

I'd love to take him to some of these revival gigs but his dad won't look after his siblings to enable me to do it. It makes me quite sad because we could share some really special moments. I've promised to bombard him with 90's Indie on our way to Devon in a couple of weeks (something I've always done anyway so he'll realise he knows more songs than he thinks) #stealthIndie 😁.

Hevs75

Loved the Brit Pop era, I was already into the Stone Roses, The Charlatans, Inspiral Carpets, the whole Madchester scene back in the day and then got into Oasis and Blur, Pulp etc. Was lucky enough to go to lots of gigs, including Oasis about 5 times the same for Blur and Pulp, and the likes of Ocean Colour Scene (where Paul Weller told me to piss off lol), Echobelly, Cast, Manics, Sleeper, Supergrass, great times, lots of happy memories.

• Haha

Boogs

VIP Member
Right then you massive bunch of enablers. I’ve spent the last hour comparing Solovair’s and Docs and decided that Solovair’s might be the way to go. My feet are too big for kids and vinted is not showing me anything decent so I’m going to pay full price. I’m being drawn to the green pair (I’m drawn to everything green) but if I’m spending this much money I would be better going for a classic black wouldn’t I?

I also purchased new blur album and love it. Damon’s a musical genius imo. The only thing ever, I didn’t love by him, was that opera stuff. Dr. Whatshisname.
Quite a few lyrics about feelings changing in relationships, so I’m afraid that divorce rumours might be true?
Curious if Pulp might do some Europe-shows as well.
There’s this saying, that in your thirties you re-live your teens, except shameless this time, and I think I‘ve reached that era now. 😇

Skinnylike

brett anderson was a crack addict. i think he did do a lot of heroin as well. a lot of people blame justine for their addictions but both of them would have been addicts without her

There is quite a bit about heroin in Pearl Lowe's biog so it was probably a thing in Brit Pop.

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
Before we showed ourselves the door of the Primrose Hill thread, we were discussing Britpop wrong 'uns.

We had Bluetones Mark Morriss and Kasabian Tom Meighan. I'm also vaguely aware there were allegations against Graham Coxon.

Jaime Harding from Marion went to prison, think he set fire to his girlfriend's clothes and had a long history of drug problems.
I'm sure there are more - does anyone have better recall than I do of them, please?

• Wow

bourb0nbiscuits

Chatty Member
I wonder what ever happened to Ritchie Edwards. Boyfriend of mine in the early 90s was a massive fan of theirs. He was gutted when Edwards disappeared.
Yes there have been reports of possible sightings in places like India hasn’t there , but I think sadly he probably whether intentionally, or not, died by the Severn bridge and his body hasn’t been found . So sorry for his family it must be agony not knowing 😞

• Sad

shellie

VIP Member
Does anyone remember free cd’s being given away with magazines back in the 90’s? They usually had songs from the lesser known Britpop bands…that’s how I got to know the smaller bands. I vaguely remember one that had Elastica and Mansun on it. It’s probably still in my childhood bedroom, if my mother hasn’t thrown it out along with everything else I owned from that time.
Yep, you got usually them with Q, Select and Mojo.
---
Oh my, I was really into the Seahorses and I liked Gay Dad 🤣. I loved Head Music when it came out but I'm not sure how well it's aged (not that it has to, they have a legacy of amazing tunes).
I saw the Seahorses support U2 at Murrayfield back in 2007 when they did the PopMart tour. Love Me Or Leave Me was so catchy, I went straight to Woolies the day it came out and bought it.
---
[QUOTE="ForeverMakingJibesWicked, post: 16096493, member: 46776"

I remember Britpop clearly but because all the dickheads at my school were super into either Blur or Oasis, i pledged allegiance to bands like Geneva, Marion, These Animal Men, Dubstar…. Anyone who was on the Shine compilation really 😆

What a great thread! Makes me yearn for those days. Loved Geneva and I also LOVED Shed Seven too. So many great bands around during the Britpop years. Another favourite is Space, they were something a bit different but I would still put them in the Britpop genre
[/QUOTE]

I loved the Shine CDs. I think there were about 12 of them altogether and quite a few were just doubles of earlier versions but I was daft enougwh to buy them anyway. There was also one brought out called the very best album in the world or something like that. It had a blue cover and had a lot of the same stuff on it.

Last edited:

Warpaint

VIP Member
In „A life less ordinary“ there is this scene, in which Ewan blasts out an oasis-song really loudly. Might has been Round are Way. Sountrack-wise, The Beach is also very britpoppy.
Ewan McGregor was meant to star in The Beach but was replaced by Leo due to the success of Titanic. Ewan didn't talk to Danny Boyle for a long time after that.

Wasn't keen on the film itself, the book was much better. Especially the ending.

• Wow

oldjamfan

VIP Member
He currently has a Ukrainian family staying at his home in Godalming, Surrey. Admittedly he has the space, but what a lovely thing to do.
A lot of these people talk the talk and I’ve met a lot of charlatans (small ‘c’!) in my time but he did seem really genuine and I’m so glad to hear that he’s done this 👏🏻👏🏻🍻

kendallroysdownfall

Chatty Member
back in the day (1995 / 1996) in North West of England it was:

berghaus if your parents were loaded
Helly Hansen if they weren’t rich weren’t poor
Sprayaway if you were a povvo

Sweatershop jumpers…less britpop and just for girls who were in to pop pop?
I was all Naf-Naf, Benetton and Fila trainers tbh. But I was also B&H and alcopops as well.