Bridgerton

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I watched it years ago, enjoyed it. Have just being watching some YouTube clips to remind me.

Loved Richard Armitage but hated him in that recent remake of Damage that was on Netflix (Obsession).

Reactions: 3
I’ve never watched it but sadly not on Netflix.
WHAT!! I had presumed it was on Netflix 😭😭😭

I was so looking forward to perving over Richard Armitage this weekend seeing how a group of experienced and knowledgeable creative professionals had transferred the narrative of this famed social protest novel which written in the mid 19th century, to TV. Although often considered a type of derivative work, TV and film adaptation has been conceptualized recently by academic scholars such as Robert Stam as a dialogic process.

ps: I did not google any of this. I am just very cultured. I was definitely not only watching it for Richard Armitage. That would be tragic. 👀

• Haha
Reactions: 6
It's definitely been on Netflix at some point - I remember watching it!

Reactions: 1
In hindsight I don't actually care if its Michael or Michaela. I just think that this will take away from the point that not every love has to be a thunderbolt from the sky. That somehow, what Francesca has with John is somehow less or not real because it wasn’t sudden and explosive.

Reactions: 9
In hindsight I don't actually care if its Michael or Michaela. I just think that this will take away from the point that not every love has to be a thunderbolt from the sky. That somehow, what Francesca has with John is somehow less or not real because it wasn’t sudden and explosive.
Yes I agree with this! I would have preferred it if when Michaela was introduced Francesca had just given a polite/non-plussed reaction with no hint of what was to come. In the books Fran and John are very happy together and it’s only certain circumstances that throw Michael into the mix at all.

Reactions: 8
I totally agree with this being the main point of contention, it cheapens the quieter, steadier sort of love story she has with John and the validity of loves like that.

But I also do care that they made Michael a Michaela. Intersectionality is important and goodz but infertility is just not the same issue when it's in a straight couple than when it's in a queer one. They're both heart breaking of course but it's just sad how many women won't get to see the story they read and connected with. Representation should never take away from other, already existing, representation.

Anyway, I don't know if it's because I'm noticing it more because it's my own opinion so confirmation bias, but most people seem to not have loved this season or the hints for the ones to come and want the old showrunner back

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Oh wow. They really are worried about the backlash if they're trotting out Julia Quinn to say a bunch of nonsense like this.

Oh wow. They really are worried about the backlash if they're trotting out Julia Quinn to say a bunch of nonsense like this.

I just think it's a bit of a slap in the face to avid readers of the book because they'll be changing Francesca's journey that apparently a lot of people resonated with.

If fans also have to wait 2 years for the next series, I think interest will wane which is why we ended up with overkill on the promo for S3 to get people hyped up again after a 2 year wait since S2.

If they wanted to do a diverse story then maybe Shonda should have written her own story. I wonder if Julia Quinn felt strongarmed into this character change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I haven’t read the books, but I thought Francesca and John were sweet. It showed live doesn’t have to be drama and fireworks all the time, which Bridgerton seems to turn every other relationship into with their lack of communication. It is a shame if they lose that message. It’s not like there isn’t inclusive representation already.

Reactions: 4
I just think it's a bit of a slap in the face to avid readers of the book because they'll be changing Francesca's journey that apparently a lot of people resonated with.

If fans also have to wait 2 years for the next series, I think interest will wane which is why we ended up with overkill on the promo for S3 to get people hyped up again after a 2 year wait since S2.

If they wanted to do a diverse story then maybe Shonda should have written her own story. I wonder if Julia Quinn felt strongarmed into this character change.
Exactly if I like a book then that's what I want to see adapted.
It doesn't mean that I am some horrible bigot merely that a book adaption should adapt the book, rather than some producer alternate fanfic version using the name and the fans of an established series to bump up views.

• Heart
Reactions: 7