Bridgerton

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She’s getting a lot of negativity in the comments. I agree with them.
I do think Julia was probably pleased her books were being adapted but now they're in the midst of the adaptation and she can't turn back and I bet she's been convinced to allow Shonda to rewrite lots of it. I don't mind them being colourblind (is that the right term with the casting?) but changing the sex of characters where it will change their story, a story that lots of readers resonate with is just wrong. It's like others in this thread say, it's becoming a bit like Shonda's fanfic version.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up merging books for a series going forward because there's still a lot of books to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I do think Julia was probably pleased her books were being adapted but now they're in the midst of the adaptation and she can't turn back and I bet she's been convinced to allow Shonda to rewrite lots of it. I don't mind them being colourblind (is that the right term with the casting?) but changing the sex of characters where it will change their story, a story that lots of readers resonate with is just wrong. It's like others in this thread say, it's becoming a bit like Shonda's fanfic version.

I wouldn't be surprised if they end up merging books for a series going forward because there's still a lot of books to go.
I’ve not read the books so which characters appearances are different to how they were written in the books please?

Hmm yeah if they want to preserve the love with John then it'd make more sense for Michaela to be the one stuttering at least, otherwise to the audience we just see Francesca seeming underwhelmed with the kiss and then tongue-tied meeting her.

Reactions: 4
I’ve not read the books so which characters appearances are different to how they were written in the books please?
In the books there's no racial diversity at all. Everyone is white. So any character that is Black, Asian, Indian, etc is different in appearance.

Which is fine and has made Bridgerton stand out and was explained as to how it worked in this fictional version of Regency England. But the rest of the changes they're doing make little to no sense.
---
I just think it's a bit of a slap in the face to avid readers of the book because they'll be changing Francesca's journey that apparently a lot of people resonated with.

If fans also have to wait 2 years for the next series, I think interest will wane which is why we ended up with overkill on the promo for S3 to get people hyped up again after a 2 year wait since S2.

If they wanted to do a diverse story then maybe Shonda should have written her own story. I wonder if Julia Quinn felt strongarmed into this character change.
I personally think she was forced to write this or even had it written for her. She has producing credits for the show so she's invested beyond having created the source material. So it must be easier to strongarm her as you say, by saying that this will bring in more money or something.

It might totally be bias confirmation but most of the comments I've seen are negative and the few positive ones are from the media, which Netflix could have paid for, and people wanting to call others bigots for wanting a book adaptation to remain faithful.

I haven’t read the books, but I thought Francesca and John were sweet. It showed live doesn’t have to be drama and fireworks all the time, which Bridgerton seems to turn every other relationship into with their lack of communication. It is a shame if they lose that message. It’s not like there isn’t inclusive representation already.
there’s also lots of stories to tell in the world. From what I’ve read franny has issues with fertility with John. Why can’t that be included? “Just” making her gay seems like a cop out.

Reactions: 3
there’s also lots of stories to tell in the world. From what I’ve read franny has issues with fertility with John. Why can’t that be included? “Just” making her gay seems like a cop out.
And with Michael too. She basically had fertility issues herself. It took her years and thinking it wasn't happening to get pregnant with Michael's baby, I think she was like late 30s? Which in those times was basically a crone.

I don't even want to have kids but as someone who'd have a hell of a time trying and who has friends who've been trying for over a decade, it seems like an unfair situation to lose that representation they had in the book.

• Heart
I finally finished season 3. The love story I liked was between Penelopes family. Portia and Pen were great together. The rest to me was a bit meeh.

Reactions: 6