Brianna Ghey Murder Trial #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Y has gone back to his unit. After hearing how his barrister spoke I would too, that had to have gone down like a lead balloon with the jury.
I know the jury aren't supposed to read anything into them being there or not, but surely this speaks volumes

Reactions: 6
If they are proven guilty, Will they remain in their secure units or be transferred elsewhere?

Reactions: 2
I can’t stop thinking that Y isn’t happy with being likened to a Tesco Meal Deal and has returned to his unit.
These barristers are an odd bunch in this case.

Reactions: 9
I can’t stop thinking that Y isn’t happy with being likened to a Tesco Meal Deal and has returned to his unit.
These barristers are an odd bunch in this case.
Boy Y’s is truly bizarre.

And if someone enjoys admiring trees or admiring the craftsmanship of a knife that his dad bought for him on holiday, well that’s ok. Autism.

Reactions: 6
My face throughout that joke of a defence barrister's closing statements.

Tesco meal deals?

"She has stolen our defence!"

"One thing is for sure, Boy Y is very intelligent"
also the defence a few minutes later...
"She used Boy Y because he was stupid enough to come along."

As others have said I don't blame Boy Y for going back to the unit. Absolute tit show of a closing statement and the barrister's irreverence will have annoyed the jury IMHO.

Reactions: 17
it’s really interesting that not many are seeing it as a hate crime as that’s how I personally see it - I’d never dream of making any of the comments the two defendants have made on trans people/Brianna and they do read as transphobic to me. just my two cents, but I’d be interested to hear why you guys don’t see it as a hate crime.
they’ve made comments yes but those comments were never the focus of their plan, Brianna’s gender wasn’t either. They had a list of others they wanted to kill, it wasn’t about gender or transphobia it was 2 sicko’s that wanted to kill someone’s regardless of who they identified as. It is not a hate crime. It’a an abhorrent murder of a child by 2 other children.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
they’ve made comments yes but those comments were never the focus of their plan, Brianna’s gender wasn’t either. They had a list of others they wanted to kill, it wasn’t about gender or transphobia it was 2 sicko’s that wanted to kill someone’s regardless of who they identified as. It is not a hate crime. It’a an abhorrent murder of a child by 2 other children.
Best explanation!

Reactions: 10
I think it’s more that you need to be able to really prove that it was to prosecute as one.

There’s no hard evidence that Girl X harboured transphobic views. Brianna’s identity played a part in why X was ‘obsessed’ by her in my personal view but she also says Brianna was pretty, sounded just like a girl, and X now has claimed she’s questioned her own gender identity. The case that her motive was transphobic is weak - and if you rely on that in the case that she’s a murderer you risk weakening that by extension.

I’d rather they go with the best case that puts these two away for life, than attempt to get the motive ‘correct’ here and risk getting them off. Decide whether it’s a hate crime once the guilty verdicts are in.
I agree. The other children on "the list" were not trans, I believe Brianna's identity was a factor, in that it made her vulnerable (comments from X about her being depressed, self harming etc), but I don't think she was targeted specifically for being trans. If she hadn't wanted or been able to meet them that day, they may have tried again with her, or with one of the others from the list. It didn't matter to X and Y who it was, they wanted to kill someone and if it hadn't have been Brianna, it would have been someone else who was cisgender. Y did use some transphobic language in his messages, but if it had been another child that agreed to meet that day, he still would have brought his knife.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
apologies if my question upset anyone or seemed disrespectful! i'm genuinely really invested as the case as someone with trans friends and just wanted a better understanding of other peoples' viewpoints - didnt intend to be disrespectful or push any opinions at all :)

I've not been following the trial on Liverpool Echo today as been too busy but I am subscribed to their whatsapp updates.

This was my face when I received the update saying Boy Y had been compared to a Tesco meal deal by his lawyer

• Haha
Reactions: 20
Y has gone back to his unit. After hearing how his barrister spoke I would too, that had to have gone down like a lead balloon with the jury.
He’ll be glad not to be seeing the light of day for the next 25 years after thinking he’s so bleeping smart and smug in court and then being referred to as a Tesco Meal Deal

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Only Boy Y has made any derogatory comments, surely: calling Brianna 'it' and using a word (tr***y) that is now considered a slur.
He said a lot worse than that. Including, but not limited to, saying he would be interested to see if when they stabbed Brianna, “it screamed like a man or a girl”.

It didn’t qualify as a hate crime but to imply (and I’m not talking about you specifically) that transphobia wasn't involved is disingenuous. And I say that as someone who doesn’t believe in gender identity ideology.

If Boy Y is convicted, it’s highly likely his transphobia will be considered as an aggravating factor. That’s far less likely to apply to Girl X as there was no evidence she made transphobic comments.

Reactions: 13
Christ, just say you’re desperate for it to be a trans hate crime to prove your political views if that how you feel. At this point I’m almost convinced people would have just called it a hate crime against trans people even if Briana wasn’t trans. Absolutely bizarre, as if two fifteen year olds committing a horrific crime (against somebody who just happened to be trans) isn’t enough

• Heart
Reactions: 40
What the hell is wrong with the defence team?! If I were Brianna’s poor parents I would be incredibly pissed off to say the least. How bleeping unprofessional and just callous are those statements!!

Reactions: 14
Even the Judge mentioned Girl X saving Boy Y in her phone as "Tesco John Wick"

Why?! They're just cheapening their arguments.

Reactions: 2
Christ, just say you’re desperate for it to be a trans hate crime to prove your political views if that how you feel. At this point I’m almost convinced people would have just called it a hate crime against trans people even if Briana wasn’t trans. Absolutely bizarre, as if two fifteen year olds committing a horrific crime (against somebody who just happened to be trans) isn’t enough

🤔 And what political views are that, please tell?

Did you not read the part where I said I don’t believe in gender identity ideology? Ironically, I got snark the other day for mentioning that Brianna was “biologically male”.

But facts are facts. Boy Y made transphobic comments. It doesn’t make it a hate crime. They had a list of 5-6 male victims, of which only one was trans-identifying. But Boy Y’s attitude towards Brianna being trans was a factor.

Reactions: 8
🤔 And what political views are that, please tell?

Did you not read the part where I said I don’t believe in gender identity ideology? Ironically, I got snark the other day for mentioning that Brianna was “biologically male”.

But facts are facts. Boy Y made transphobic comments. It doesn’t make it a hate crime. They had a list of 5-6 male victims, of which only one was trans-identifying. But Boy Y’s attitude towards Brianna being trans was a factor.
I’m not just talking about you, but people in general. This crime has been assumed to be a hate crime and because Brianna was trans since the very beginning to the point where people on this thread have actively been discussing the possibility of boy Y having actively tried to look at Brianna’s genitals which is SO beyond weird.

Yes, boy Y made transphobic comments, but I don’t see how that’s even relevant. He said disgusting things about many people who he didn’t murder, he didn’t choose Brianna to murder, the girl did and she didn’t seem transphobic in the slightest. (she’s also the one who made the list, as far as I’m aware) Brianna would’ve been murdered trans or not, therefore it wasn’t a factor and it’s an absolute reach to try make it one

Reactions: 14
I’m not just talking about you, but people in general. This crime has been assumed to be a hate crime and because Brianna was trans since the very beginning to the point where people on this thread have actively been discussing the possibility of boy Y having actively tried to look at Brianna’s genitals which is SO beyond weird.

Yes, boy Y made transphobic comments, but I don’t see how that’s even relevant. He said disgusting things about many people who he didn’t murder, he didn’t choose Brianna to murder, the girl did and she didn’t seem transphobic in the slightest. (she’s also the one who made the list, as far as I’m aware) Brianna would’ve been murdered trans or not, therefore it wasn’t a factor and it’s an absolute reach to try make it one
to be clear, this (BIB) came from the prosecution, not this thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.