Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BarryEvansHun

What if he became hard of hearing during the police interviews, though, which is more of a parallel with his selective mutism?
Then the appropriate people would put him in touch with ENT and have aids or adaptions made for him? But before that, his SM doesn’t mean he cannot communicate. They could write things down, etc. I’m sure the police have experienced interviewing a deaf person, it’s not rare to be hard of hearing?

Reactions: 2

Narcissus

The head teacher’s tribute to Brianna is beautiful. It mentions her mum being the main support and I’ve heard that in many comments during the trial. I wonder what happened with her Dad as I know he turned up to the trial but didn’t seem to have a close relationship with her. When she changed her name she changed her surname to her mum’s surname too.
View attachment 2643148View attachment 2643149
Not true about the surname change

Reactions: 2
I agree with doubting/questioning if they both stabbed Brianna, however Justice Yip said that this is one if the questions the jury must ask themselves:

Are we sure that the defendant we are considering deliberately participated in the killing of Brianna, whether by stabbing her or causing, assisting or encouraging the other defendant to stab her?

They might not have both stabbed her, but I could 100% say yes to that question given what we have heard in the trial.
Yep, joint enterprise

Reactions: 1

HotesTilaire

VIP Member
What do you class as exceptional circumstances then? Because I don’t see any reason in this case for them not to be named. I don’t believe it will hugely affect the other victims (people on the list) as they wouldn’t be identifiable purely from the public knowing who X and Y are. I don’t think the families should be taken into consideration as, like mentioned previously, this is surely the case for all those affected by any murder conviction.

It’s an exceptional case in terms of the violence and circumstances yes but I don’t think that warrants anonymity. I think the opposite in fact.
There are cases where the decision was made not to name, and cases where they are named, so we can look up the reasons the judge gave for either

thegirlscout

VIP Member
Yeah, I've always understood 'deadnaming' to be when someone continually uses a trans person's former name despite knowing it's against that person's wishes.

A one-off referral to Brianna's birth name wouldn't fall into that category.
Deadnaming is referring to a birth name - this can be once or multiple times and either unintentional or intentional. So she was ‘deadnamed’ in court but for obvious reasons.

CrushedIcePlease

VIP Member
You can only imagine the shockwaves that have gone through the school and interlinked friendship circles. I completely understand why some of them are commenting on x’s socials. Hopefully she will never have the liberty to be able to read them.