Brianna Ghey Murder Trial #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Cheers @BarryEvansHun for the link. I’d just found it after you gave specific figures pre-editing your post.

Those amounts were purely for costs and expenses so would go to the legal teams.

I knew their trial was deemed unfair and resulted in a huge change in how juveniles are dealt with in court. It’s a huge reason X & Y were treated as they were.
Yes I think this is why children under 18 aren’t named anymore?

Reactions: 3
Regardless of the trans debate a child has been murdered in cold blood and it just makes me so sad. I wish she would have had friends like myself who would have helped and enriched her life and helped her rather than using her insecurities against her. What ever you might feel about trans people and pervy men this was a kid who merely trying to exist and I dunno it just makes me feel sad she was exploited.

Reactions: 8
I stand by my comments that it’s sickening boy Y put the family through all of that whilst he busied himself with puzzles and fidget toys because he found it hard to concentrate and sit still.
I think sitting quietly doing sudoku whilst listening intently to all the information and procedures is way more polite than fidgeting, daydreaming and requiring more frequent breaks, disrupting proceedings.

Unless you think the concentration issues experienced with autism and ADHD are somehow optional or under the person's control?

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Regardless of the trans debate a child has been murdered in cold blood and it just makes me so sad. I wish she would have had friends like myself who would have helped and enriched her life and helped her rather than using her insecurities against her. What ever you might feel about trans people and pervy men this was a kid who merely trying to exist and I dunno it just makes me feel sad she was exploited.
She was exploited and now she's being exploited in death and that is a fact that makes me very angry.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I will admit I would find it infuriating if I was her parent to watch him playing with a spinner and doing sudoku whilst also admitting he sat and passed 8 GCSEs and is studying five a levels whilst claiming it's due to concentration issues.

Reactions: 21
I will admit I would find it infuriating if I was her parent to watch him playing with a spinner and doing sudoku whilst also admitting he sat and passed 8 GCSEs and is studying five a levels whilst claiming it's due to concentration issues.
Little bit different though.... GCSE's max out at 2 hours and if you have ADHD or autism you'll actually have the same arrangements as in the court. He'd have been given movement breaks, something to fidget with and will have done it in a quiet room alone. His autism doesn't mean he can't concentrate, its more complex than that.

I agree the whole thing was harsh on Briannas parents but please let's not forget innocent until proven guilty. We must treat people facing criminal charges with kindness and understanding because the won't always be found guilty! Imagine having extreme anxiety, being implicated in a crime and having to go to court to prove it wasn't you. You would want them to treat you properly whilst you were being tried. This is similar. ADHD and autism are not and never will be an excuse for their behaviours but they both need reasonable adjustments in life wether people here agree with that or not.

My son has ADHD and is noise sensitive. If this has him (it won't ever ever be) he'd have to wear ear defenders. Not because he doesn't want to listen but because in order *to* listen he has to be able to block out those annoying distracting other noises. That would seem incredibly rude, I'm certain. But it wouldn't be. He also can't give eye contact and listen. He can do one or the other ... This too seems rude to strangers but it isn't. In fairness he can now manage both these things 100 times better with his medication but Y has autism not ADHD which can't be medicated and must just be understood.

• Heart
Reactions: 26
ETA
I believe that the mental health of trans women has a huge impact on their health and life expectancy, and that is largely due to the inequality they experience in terms of access to services tailored to their needs, beneficial medications and social isolation impacting day to day life, but as previously stated it’s a separate subject to this discussion
its also because a lot of trans women internationally are in sex work, a high risk occupation, and because of men’s homophobia about feminine men and misogyny towards the feminine. The trans suicide figures bandied around are based on a tiny and dated study as I remember.

Reactions: 15
I suspect given Brianna’s own mental health issues and the way her mother has conducted herself throughout, she’s likely to have been quite understanding of reasonable adjustments for the defendants, especially if it means justice gets done.

Kudos to the judge and court for taking steps to ensure a secure conviction and reduce the chance of an appeal that would cause further distress too.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I suspect given Brianna’s own mental health issues and the way her mother has conducted herself throughout, she’s likely to have been quite understanding of reasonable adjustments for the defendants, especially if it means justice gets done.

Kudos to the judge and court for taking steps to ensure a secure conviction and reduce the chance of an appeal that would cause further distress too.
Here here to all of this.

Does it really matter if he was doing any of these things? X and Y were both lying through their teeth the whole time, surely that's the most disrespectful thing. Briannas mother will never know what happened to her. I doubt she gives a tit about a fiddle toy.

Justice has been fairly served and that is what matters.

Reactions: 15
He can concentrate fine with reasonable adjustments. ASD doesn’t affect your intelligence.
---
ADHD and autism doesn’t affect your intelligence
After the trial had been deemed unfair, the defendants could then claim the old compo. Robert did not do that.
Speaks volumes about his rehabilitation compared to Venables.

Reactions: 8
The Suduko etc would not just have been purely for focus either. Anxiety is a big part of autism (and a big trigger for ADHD symptoms too). A repetitive activity is soothing and would have helped emotional regulation, so Y could be calm.

This was a massive effort to ensure they could properly participate by not just the Court but also X & Y’s secure units and their legal teams. An immense level of co-ordination. It’s a testament to all of them that a fair and non-disruptive trial of that length occurred.

The amount of pre-planning that went in was clearly huge. As I said before, I’m pretty sure Brianna’s family would have been informed of the Suduko etc beforehand so hopefully wouldn’t have found it jarring.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
The Suduko etc would not just have been purely for focus either. Anxiety is a big part of autism (and a big trigger for ADHD symptoms too). A repetitive activity is soothing and would have helped emotional regulation, so Y could be calm.

This was a massive effort to ensure they could properly participate by not just the Court but also X & Y’s secure units and their legal teams. An immense level of co-ordination. It’s a testament to all of them that a fair and non-disruptive trial of that length occurred.

The amount of pre-planning that went in was clearly huge. As I said before, I’m pretty sure Brianna’s family would have been informed of the Suduko etc beforehand so hopefully wouldn’t have found it jarring.
If Y was hard of hearing and needed a hearing aid, would people be outraged if he was given hearing aids in order to participate in the court? Or if he wore hearing aids, and he switched them off so he didn’t have to hear what was being said, how do people feel about that? Because it’s all the same difference?

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Just because he hasn’t been arrested doesn’t mean he’s had a normal, unproblematic life. In fact, I highly doubt anyone who committed such a heinous crime at the age of 10 could go on to be ‘normal’ in any way. He may keep under the radar but I have strong doubts he’s suddenly turned into a valuable member of society.

He’s apparently in a relationship with a man who knows of his past which is concerning. Anyone who’d be happy to have a partner with that past is dodgy themselves imo.
Mary Bell killed 2 toddlers, less than a year apart when she was 11. She was incorrectly diagnosed as a psychopath when in fact she was a broken, abused child who had been pimped out by her prostitute mother to various clients from the age of 2.
She was released and has lived a totally normal life, with a daughter, a partner and at least one grandchild. Albeit she's been very affected mentally and is apparently a meek and anxious woman.
Much as the desire for revenge is understandable, the purpose of the judicial system isn't just punishment, it's rehabilitation, and children who commit terrible crimes actually have a better chance of rehabilitation than adults.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Next time I'm in court I'm going to request a four poster bed, hot chocolate and a wee joint to help with my anxiety.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Mary Bell killed 2 toddlers, less than a year apart when she was 11. She was incorrectly diagnosed as a psychopath when in fact she was a broken, abused child who had been pimped out by her prostitute mother to various clients from the age of 2.
She was released and has lived a totally normal life, with a daughter, a partner and at least one grandchild. Albeit she's been very affected mentally and is apparently a meek and anxious woman.
Much as the desire for revenge is understandable, the purpose of the judicial system isn't just punishment, it's rehabilitation, and children who commit terrible crimes actually have a better chance of rehabilitation than adults.
I’ve not killed anyone. But as a child I was off the wall. Set fire to my childrens home, attempted to stab the post man, constantly in trouble. I spent 2 years in a secure unit from the age of 12. Now I work, supporting very vulnerable adults, have guardianship of 2 children, live relatively normal and don’t even shout. When people see me now that knew me back then they cannot believe it is actually me. When people find out about my childhood, they cannot believe I was capable of such things. Truth is I was an abused child and I learned people only listened to me when I did extreme things. Then doing extreme things became the norm for me. I went from being scared of adults, to adults being scared of me. Which meant they left me alone. Hurt people hurt people. I do wonder what went on with X in her family home.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 58
If Y was hard of hearing and needed a hearing aid, would people be outraged if he was given hearing aids in order to participate in the court? Or if he wore hearing aids, and he switched them off so he didn’t have to hear what was being said, how do people feel about that? Because it’s all the same difference?
What if he became hard of hearing during the police interviews, though, which is more of a parallel with his selective mutism?

What if he became hard of hearing during the police interviews, though, which is more of a parallel with his selective mutism?
Then the appropriate people would put him in touch with ENT and have aids or adaptions made for him? But before that, his SM doesn’t mean he cannot communicate. They could write things down, etc. I’m sure the police have experienced interviewing a deaf person, it’s not rare to be hard of hearing?

Reactions: 2
Hearing loss is measured with tests. Even if the cause was psychosomatic due to stress, it’s scientifically quantifiable.

It’s not a parallel with selective mutism here.

The point that was being made (and ironically been proven) is that people don’t struggle with understanding how accommodations need to be made for physical disabilities, but do when the disabilities are hidden or psychological.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.