Brexit

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So far we are a million miles ahead of the EU with vaccinations and been able to stop sanitry products being taxed as non essential, so that's a couple of positives of Brexit already.
Sanity tax has nothing to do with the EU. Actually, I am from a working class background and I discovered "period poverty" issue in the British newspapers, astonished it could be a problem in a rich country like Britain.
As for the covid vaccine, it's only a few weeks' difference. And most people are in no rush. The worst is France. Only 4 of ten people want to get vaccinated against covid. Antivax conspiracy is powerful.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Sanity tax has nothing to do with the EU. Actually, I am from a working class background and I discovered "period poverty" issue in the British newspapers, astonished it could be a problem in a rich country like Britain.
As for the covid vaccine, it's only a few weeks' difference. And most people are in no rush. The worst is France. Only 4 of ten people want to get vaccinated against covid. Antivax conspiracy is powerful.
A Sanity tax? Well the British won;t have to pay that!!! ;)

Seriously though, the tampon tax comes mainly from men being at the top, and if men had periods, it would never even been put in operation. (I'm a man btw).

• Haha
Reactions: 5
It's not a sanity tax sorry, it's the tax on menstrual products like all products have a tax. I don't know how to explain🙃

The sanitary tax has been abolished in Scotland only, or have I missed something?
Abolishing this tax (or even introducing it) has and had nothing to do with the EU.

The vaccines... As said, there is a massive anti-vaxx sentiment worldwide and even many of those who are pro-vax aren't keen on being "first in line".
Yes, the EU should have ordered more vaccines, but had Britain never left, Britain could have ordered as many as they wished regardless.
Britain went its own way whilst being part of the EU and did what Britain wanted ever since entry. Would've been nothing new.

Britain rushed the vaccine through and was what, one week, two weeks tops ahead of the EU and why? Because Boris wanted some positive press. Please.

Considering the population (everywhere) it'll take until summer to vaccinate those in need first, before others are let in line. Britain being "ahead" one or two weeks isn't changing anything, except additional data others could work with to see potential adverse effects immediately after the jab and some short-lived positive PR for Boris and for the "we are better than everyone else, esp the evil EU" sentiment to grow.

Till summer the situation won't change. It will likely even get worse, esp because of holidays (Xmas, NYE, skiing etc).

The misinformation about the EU is staggering. The whole leaving the EU movement and their lies have been really just.. I have literally no words.

Reactions: 3

Yel

Sanity tax has nothing to do with the EU
This is what it says on Wikipedia:

European Union[edit]
Most European Union countries are barred from creating zero-rated value added taxes, but Ireland's exemptions are grandfathered.[3] The EU countries are planning to remove the minimum 5% tax rate by 2022.

• Ireland levies no value-added tax on tampons, panty liners, and sanitary towels. Ireland is the only EU country to have a zero tax rate on sanitary goods.[15]
  • In Germany, the amount of tax on sanitary items was cut from 19% (the basic rate) to 7% (the reduced rate) as of 1 January 2020.[15][16] This is said to be a step toward a tax system that does not discriminate against women.[15]

Toilet paper is still charged the full rate of 20% as a luxury. That should be cut, but VAT rules are a bit of a minefield. See the problems with jaffa cakes with the are they a cake (luxury) or biscuit (essential).

• Sick
Reactions: 1
Scotland have made the menstrual products entirely free, if I understood well.
BJ said the tax will be abolished.

As I said, I am not sure it's a priority in other countries. Using better menstrual products (reusable or with less chemicals) is more important.

Scotland have made the menstrual products entirely free, if I understood well.
BJ said the tax will be abolished.

As I said, I am not sure it's a priority in other countries. Using better menstrual products (reusable or with less chemicals) is more important.
Yeah, Scotland have the requirement for public spaces/buildings to have free menstrual products available. I work in public sector and our business put this in place 2 years ago. Really good idea as nothing worse being caught without a tampon/pad. However, we still need to pay for them in shops. I’ve seen some mis reporting making it seem like women in Scotland just wander into Boots and help themselves 🙂😂

Brilliant news that since leaving the EU we have now gone up a place in the world rankings of countries we can freely travel to :) We now can move around the world better than we could before.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Yeah, Scotland have the requirement for public spaces/buildings to have free menstrual products available. I work in public sector and our business put this in place 2 years ago. Really good idea as nothing worse being caught without a tampon/pad. However, we still need to pay for them in shops. I’ve seen some mis reporting making it seem like women in Scotland just wander into Boots and help themselves 🙂😂
So that is just that? It's nothing how it was presented recently in the press.

Brilliant news that since leaving the EU we have now gone up a place in the world rankings of countries we can freely travel to :) We now can move around the world better than we could before.

Love how there are no EU countries in the ranking🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• Haha

How is that anything to do with leaving the EU when Germany, Finland, Italy, Spain, Austria, Denmark, France, Ireland, The Netherlands, Portugal and Sweden were all placed further up while we were in the EU and also after we left?

At this point your account has to be a parody because everything you post is truly insane.

I cannot believe you are a real person, it is too depressing.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6

Before, British passport holders could live and work in the EU for as long as they liked.

Now you can stay 3 months. How on earth could this be considered progress for british passports.

So that is just that? It's nothing how it was presented recently in the press.
Pretty much. I work for a local authority and we've had free products available in our public buildings for a year and a half now anyway, but this legislation makes it more widespread basically, as before it was down to individual areas/buildings to choose to offer them. Moving forward we will also offer an ordering service where people can order products directly from us or from local community groups if they are struggling to afford them. They are also free in all schools and colleges.

We can stay in Europe for six months I think? Still don’t understand how that’s progress though?

The Brexiteers are so desperate to try and spin it as some success story, when in fact it’s way too early to tell how it will affect us.

It’s having a big effect here both north and south and going by this British people trying to export their goods are fecked
D1FA7D1D-CCF2-4726-98D5-2F77EACA7DEB.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: 5

Yel

It’s having a big effect here both north and south and going by this British people trying to export their goods are fecked View attachment 376355
Probably a mistake somewhere in the setup by the seller (not that it's their fault it's probably pretty confusing), I don't think it means Brtish exporters are fucked :LOL: in fact if it's sold or fulfilled by amazon they could be 20% cheaper:

Many Amazon UK Orders Under €22 Are Now Cheaper For Irish Shoppers
This section only applies to items SOLD by or Fulfilled By Amazon

VAT Exemption on Imports

Since Jan 1st 2021 , any package delivered from the UK to Ireland that has a value less than €22 (including delivery charges) , is exempt from Irish import VAT.
This means that on packages under €22 that are liable for UK VAT – Irish shoppers using Amazon UK should see a 20% price reduction on many orders (depending on the seller). Books are VAT free inboth countries and will not change.

more - https://www.moneyguideireland.com/buying-from-amazon-uk-after-brexit.html

It's a complicated picture; brexiters saying everything is amazing and remainers are saying everything is fucked. Truth is probably somewhere between the two. Time will tell

Probably a mistake somewhere in the setup, I don't think it means Brtish exporters are fucked :LOL: in fact if it's sold or fulfilled by amazon they could be 20% cheaper:

Many Amazon UK Orders Under €22 Are Now Cheaper For Irish Shoppers
This section only applies to items SOLD by or Fulfilled By Amazon

VAT Exemption on Imports

Since Jan 1st 2021 , any package delivered from the UK to Ireland that has a value less than €22 (including delivery charges) , is exempt from Irish import VAT.
This means that on packages under €22 that are liable for UK VAT – Irish shoppers using Amazon UK should see a 20% price reduction on many orders (depending on the seller). Books are VAT free inboth countries and will not change.

more - https://www.moneyguideireland.com/buying-from-amazon-uk-after-brexit.html

It's a complicated picture; brexiters saying everything is amazing and remainers are saying everything is fucked. Truth is probably somewhere between the two. Time will tell
Will this be the case past April when it changes again ? the North have already seen invest NI lose a massive amount of investment .