Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

KINGAA

VIP Member
People who live in the uk really need to develop at least a basic understanding of ROI, NI, Britain and the UK.
ROI is Ireland aka Southern Ireland which is separated from NI aka Northern Ireland which is a part of the U.K. aka The United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland which also includes England, Scotland and Wales. Great Britain is technically the land name of The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Each country within the “states” of U.K. have it’s own government and rules blah blah blah Is that ok for you or did my geography GCSE fail poor old me or would you like me to give you further knowledge of my own country where I don’t just live but was born and raised with parents from different parts of the U.K. ? I also might be able to teach you a few things about Volcanoes too from my GCSE geography days if you’d like!?

Reactions: 1

monga

VIP Member
I’m wondering is it the same rules as the commons were as MP’s that can’t psychically be there can’t take part ? You’d think with the current situation it would be allowed.
* physically* haha!...hate predictive text .

kev1974

VIP Member
In the long term, Holyrood elections in May likely to be fought on an indy majority triggering a referendum. Johnson likely to deny that. SNP have a trump card they are playing close to their chest if that happens. New domestic bill gives powers for Westminster to take back powers from Holyrood so could get messy.
Johnson? I should imagine he'll be doing a Cameron within weeks and disappearing, now that he's "got Brexit done". New leader soon I should think.

monga

VIP Member
  • Haha

kev1974

VIP Member
EU citizens are fine and have been sorted. British immigrants, sorry i mean expats, in the EU are suddenly finding out that they need to sort out their own drivers licences, bank accounts, property laws as if they don't have naturalisation status.

Freedom of movement has gone. Bastards.
If by "suddenly" you mean "had a year" (or arguably four years if they wanted to be prepared for all outcomes), yes.

Causewaygal

Chatty Member
Do you know of any particular retailers atm monga? This is a concern of mine and was wondering if its likely to manifest.
i ordered a treadmill from Nordic track and they cancelled my order yesterday because I’m in Northern Ireland. Tried to order through John Lewis and same thing happened 🤬

Everyone in NI is already entitled to Irish citizenship.
I thought it was only open to people who were born here or whose parents were born here ... I’m originally from England but I’d love to get Irish citizenship

Columbo

VIP Member
Well we know Poots stance on it if the Unionists don’t want it it’s going to be very difficult for them , Frost is front page news todayView attachment 579120
I need to read more about it but I'm not sure why the EU would indulge the UK. Will this force majeure go through? How can they claim it was unforeseen when the average Joe in the Facebook comments section could predict the problems Brexit would present for NI? 🙈 Poots is supposed to be a leader but I haven't seen him address the people with his proposal for an appropriate, peaceful alternative.

mcfeez

VIP Member
No that's not right at all. The EU allowed visa free travel between countries. It certainly still had restrictions! After 90 days/3months EU members visiting another EU country usually had to register.

As an EU citizen, you have the right to move to any EU country to live, work, study, look for a job or retire.

You can stay in another EU country for up to 3 months without registering there but you may need to report your presence. The only requirement is to hold a valid national identity card or passport. If you want to stay longer than 3 months, you may need to register your residence.

In many EU countries, you need to carry an identity card or passport with you at all times. In these countries, you could be fined or temporarily detained if you leave your identity documents at home - but you cannot be forced to return to your home country for this reason alone.
You literally only need an EU passport though if anyone asks after 90 days.

On a British passport now, as opposed to before, if you exceed the rules you need a visa or permit. I know of people who work within travel sector who are struggling with this.

monga

VIP Member
Well that was worth waiting all that time and spending all that money on. I'm most upset about the Erasmus scheme and hope that the government can come up with a decent alternative.
NI will still avail of it but it's shit that so many students will miss out .

Romy

VIP Member
No that's not right at all. The EU allowed visa free travel between countries. It certainly still had restrictions! After 90 days/3months EU members visiting another EU country usually had to register.

As an EU citizen, you have the right to move to any EU country to live, work, study, look for a job or retire.

You can stay in another EU country for up to 3 months without registering there but you may need to report your presence. The only requirement is to hold a valid national identity card or passport. If you want to stay longer than 3 months, you may need to register your residence.

In many EU countries, you need to carry an identity card or passport with you at all times. In these countries, you could be fined or temporarily detained if you leave your identity documents at home - but you cannot be forced to return to your home country for this reason alone.
You need to register if you want certain services I suppose, like banking. Otherwise, no one gives a damn I assure you. And we all have identity cards (or passports) anyway. It's British people that are reluctant to identity cards. I still don't get why tbh

Blueballs

I dont carry a British passport but wouldn't like it personally. Some people have not had theirs stamped on exit which could cause headaches and worry. I imagine mistakes like that will happen less though as time goes on.
That's a benefit! before they were electronically recorded entry and exit going into and out of schengen area so you had no idea if they messed it up. Now you know for sure if it's been recorded, not that ive had any problems