Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm halfway through Girl A by Abigail Dean and I'm finding it SO boring so far...the person who recommended it couldn't say enough good things, has anyone read it? What am I missing?

I've read All our Lies by Sue Watson today. Gripped from the onset, very uncomfortable at times and I guessed part of the ending. Gave it 4 out of 5 stars.
I’m just reading The sister in law by her and it’s great

Reactions: 3
I’m reading Firefly Lane at the moment, after watching the Netflix series. I’m really enjoying it!
I love getting to properly know the characters and feeling an emotional connection to them.

can anyone recommend anything similar? Maybe a series of books?

ive been trying to get back into reading and haven’t connected to many books that I’ve been reading, I think because I just don’t care about the characters, I don’t care what happens to them! I finished the guest list last week and didn’t care about any of the characters at all.

Reactions: 1
I’m reading Firefly Lane at the moment, after watching the Netflix series. I’m really enjoying it!
I love getting to properly know the characters and feeling an emotional connection to them.

ive been trying to get back into reading and haven’t connected to many books that I’ve been reading, I think because I just don’t care about the characters, I don’t care what happens to them! I finished the guest list last week and didn’t care about any of the characters at all.
I really enjoyed The Guest List but know what you mean about not caring for the characters. I had no connection to any of them.

Might be an unpopular opinion.

both of Beth O’Leary’s books are below average, at best “ok”

I’m sick of Amazon and Apple trying to push them on me.
I don’t want her new one on pre order either.

that is all.

Reactions: 6

that is all.
I read the flat share in lockdown 1. Quite enjoyed it as all I needed was an easy read then, I didn’t have the brain capacity to read anything difficult 😂 but definitely was nothing ground breaking and nor would I go out my way to recommend it. She does seem to be everywhere at the minute 😂 definitely an author I’d turn to if I wanted something quick and easy. She’s a holiday round the pool author for me 😂

Reactions: 2
I read the flat share in lockdown 1. Quite enjoyed it as all I needed was an easy read then, I didn’t have the brain capacity to read anything difficult 😂 but definitely was nothing ground breaking and nor would I go out my way to recommend it. She does seem to be everywhere at the minute 😂 definitely an author I’d turn to if I wanted something quick and easy. She’s a holiday round the pool author for me 😂
I love chick lit and I have no shame in that, but I found her book to be like chewing gum, it adds nothing to your diet 😂 even a sweet (good chick lit) gives you a sugar boost 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 8

that is all.
I went off chicklit and the flatshare made me enjoy it again. I listened to the switch as an audiobook and I think that improved it as it gave the characters more depth.

I won't be rushing out to read her next one

I was given a hard back version last year. Read the first few chapters, closed the book and promptly passed it on. The plot was ridiculously obvious (I know chick lit generally are) and the way the guy's story was told in text talk annoyed me. Didn't even want to skim to the end, awful book in my opinion.

I was given a hard back version last year. Read the first few chapters, closed the book and promptly passed it on. The plot was ridiculously obvious (I know chick lit generally are) and the way the guy's story was told in text talk annoyed me. Didn't even want to skim to the end, awful book in my opinion.
The style of writing for Leon was one of the things that liked best about that book.

At first I struggled reading his parts but as the book develops so does his writing. It reflects the changes in him etc. Which I thought was quite clever, especially for chick lit

I managed to finish The Housewarming. Easily one of the worst books I’ve ever read. Characters were all hugely unlikeable, plot was slow, little to no suspense and basically nothing happened until the last 50 pages and what did happen was less ‘twist’ and more ‘absolutely ridiculous plot point’.

Thanks to all of you lovely lot, I’m taking your recommendations for Mark Edwards and starting ‘The House Guest’. I’m not familiar with the author so intrigued to give it a go and hoping for better success than my last two reads 😩!

Just had a little look at Mark Edwards his style of writing sounds right up my street- any recommendations of which one to get first, are they a series or standalone?

Silly question but have you read any by Marian Keyes? I hate the way she's written off as "just" a chick lit author but she's bloody good! The Walsh sisters are great if you're looking for a connection with characters. Rachel's Holiday & Anybody Out There? are two of my favourites from that series. You don't really need to read them in order either.

This Charming Man is also really, really good too. I started re-reading her books when lockdown kicked in last March as a comfort blanket.

Reactions: 8
Has anyone read Haven't They Grown by Sophie Hannah? I'm a few chapters in and I don't know what to think, or where the plots going?

Silly question but have you read any by Marian Keyes? I hate the way she's written off as "just" a chick lit author but she's bloody good! The Walsh sisters are great if you're looking for a connection with characters. Rachel's Holiday & Anybody Out There? are two of my favourites from that series. You don't really need to read them in order either.

This Charming Man is also really, really good too. I started re-reading her books when lockdown kicked in last March as a comfort blanket.
+1 for Marian Keyes - Rachels Holiday is an all time fave! I heard her on a podcast once saying how she disliked being dismissed as chick lit - she said something along the lines of if her books were written by men about men, theyd be heralded as fantastic insights into the human mind or something along those lines.

She writes fabulous, fully formed characters

Reactions: 5
+1 for Marian Keyes - Rachels Holiday is an all time fave! I heard her on a podcast once saying how she disliked being dismissed as chick lit - she said something along the lines of if her books were written by men about men, theyd be heralded as fantastic insights into the human mind or something along those lines.

She writes fabulous, fully formed characters
Agree with every word you've written. I remember reading her books when I had (then undiagnosed) depression and kept thinking she summed up exactly how I was feeling. Her work is just out standing and appallingly overlooked.

Many people are surprised when I tell them Rachel's Holiday is primarily about addiction. They literally think it's about someone on holiday 🤦 But it's a masterclass in the unreliable narrator.

Reactions: 5
Agree with every word you've written. I remember reading her books when I had (then undiagnosed) depression and kept thinking she summed up exactly how I was feeling. Her work is just out standing and appallingly overlooked.

Many people are surprised when I tell them Rachel's Holiday is primarily about addiction. They literally think it's about someone on holiday 🤦 But it's a masterclass in the unreliable narrator.
I agree with every word.

I haven't read a Marian Keyes book in years but agree that she's a great author. I finished It Started with a Secret by Jill Mansell tonight and it was a bit meh. Too many different stories within one story, none of which were necessary and didn't add anything to the story (apart from 300 pages) and the leading female may as well have had a cape and magic wand such was her ability to fix everything.

***edited to apologise for the over use of the word story

I think Marian Keyes writes very well - the books are so readable and often deeper than they would appear at first glance. I do have a problem with them though. So many times the main female character starts off as dissatisfied with her appearance. She is usually pretty but plump. She then goes through an upheaval - eg partner leaves her, depression - and she loses weight. She can then fit into fabulous new clothes and everyone is amazed at how attractive and sexy she is. I've read this in several of her books and it really seems so unnecessary and a bit of a downer tbh.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.