Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think Marian Keyes writes very well - the books are so readable and often deeper than they would appear at first glance. I do have a problem with them though. So many times the main female character starts off as dissatisfied with her appearance. She is usually pretty but plump. She then goes through an upheaval - eg partner leaves her, depression - and she loses weight. She can then fit into fabulous new clothes and everyone is amazed at how attractive and sexy she is. I've read this in several of her books and it really seems so unnecessary and a bit of a downer tbh.
I know what you mean. Jilly Cooper heroines were the same. I think it gives an insight into the authors own body hang ups .

I think Marian Keyes writes very well - the books are so readable and often deeper than they would appear at first glance. I do have a problem with them though. So many times the main female character starts off as dissatisfied with her appearance. She is usually pretty but plump. She then goes through an upheaval - eg partner leaves her, depression - and she loses weight. She can then fit into fabulous new clothes and everyone is amazed at how attractive and sexy she is. I've read this in several of her books and it really seems so unnecessary and a bit of a downer tbh.
Marian Keyes is great!
If you read one or two of her books.....

when you get to 4, 5, 6 it’s like a woman walking into a room and telling the same joke or amusing anecdote for the hundredth time.

she writes the same books with slight variations and her type of humour just isn’t funny anymore.

Reactions: 2
I wouldn’t be a big fan of Marian Keyes. I think maybe because I’m Irish and expect her characters to be more relatable to me, if that makes sense? I’ve only read a couple of her books but I’ve always thought I don’t know anyone like this character! I suppose it’s a bit like Londoners not liking Eastenders 😆

One thing I will say though is that I hate book snobbery! I hate books being dismissed as only chic lit or only YA ... what does it matter? If you’re reading it and enjoying it, then who cares?! We can learn so much through reading, even if it is “only chit lit”. It’s got to be better for us than sitting in front of a TV or gaming all night.
I’ll get down off my soap box now 😂😂

Reactions: 5
I wouldn’t be a big fan of Marian Keyes. I think maybe because I’m Irish and expect her characters to be more relatable to me, if that makes sense? I’ve only read a couple of her books but I’ve always thought I don’t know anyone like this character! I suppose it’s a bit like Londoners not liking Eastenders 😆

One thing I will say though is that I hate book snobbery! I hate books being dismissed as only chic lit or only YA ... what does it matter? If you’re reading it and enjoying it, then who cares?! We can learn so much through reading, even if it is “only chit lit”. It’s got to be better for us than sitting in front of a TV or gaming all night.
I’ll get down off my soap box now 😂😂
My problem with chick lit is that they all follow the same format. It's either 1) boy meets girl they fall in love have an argument or similar they hate each other for a bit then it all ends well OR 2) boy meets girl they hate each other but eventually fall in love something happens to make each other hate each other for a bit and it all ends well.

I am however a big sucker for YA. Especially YA dystopia

Your posts about Marian Keyes and her use of the main character often losing weight and some repetitive stories makes me think about some writers and their inability to have a truly flawed and complex character as their main feature. For example, I was reading a Tom Bradby last week and the lead female character is some sort of stunningly beautiful, uber-capable female James Bond type.

Reactions: 3
One of the things that turned me off what I call “older woman chick lit” is it’s so formulaic you can feel like you’re reading the same story over and over. It’s usually middle aged lady with a lovely home, lovely children flown the nest, lovely hubby and quirky single best friend suddenly finds her life turned upside down due to either her husband dying, leaving her or losing all their money. After a few chapters of crying/struggling, quirky friend usually says something like “but Daphne, you’re a wonderful cook, why not set up your own business cooking for dinner parties/baking cakes OR the heroine has been painting or making pots for years, thinking she was no good, then suddenly gets discovered and her work sells for thousands. Along the way she will usually acquire a cute dog or cat, a run down but charming cottage that she revamps on a shoestring and of course an incredibly attractive new man because OF COURSE our heroine may be any age between 45 and 65 but she does not look it being slim, gorgeous, stylish.
I know it’s nice to escape into fantasy but I wish there was some originality :)

• Haha
Reactions: 6
One of the things that turned me off what I call “older woman chick lit” is it’s so formulaic you can feel like you’re reading the same story over and over. It’s usually middle aged lady with a lovely home, lovely children flown the nest, lovely hubby and quirky single best friend suddenly finds her life turned upside down due to either her husband dying, leaving her or losing all their money. After a few chapters of crying/struggling, quirky friend usually says something like “but Daphne, you’re a wonderful cook, why not set up your own business cooking for dinner parties/baking cakes OR the heroine has been painting or making pots for years, thinking she was no good, then suddenly gets discovered and her work sells for thousands. Along the way she will usually acquire a cute dog or cat, a run down but charming cottage that she revamps on a shoestring and of course an incredibly attractive new man because OF COURSE our heroine may be any age between 45 and 65 but she does not look it being slim, gorgeous, stylish.
I know it’s nice to escape into fantasy but I wish there was some originality :)
suppose it's like a Hallmark film in a book

Silly question but have you read any by Marian Keyes? I hate the way she's written off as "just" a chick lit author but she's bloody good! The Walsh sisters are great if you're looking for a connection with characters. Rachel's Holiday & Anybody Out There? are two of my favourites from that series. You don't really need to read them in order either.

This Charming Man is also really, really good too. I started re-reading her books when lockdown kicked in last March as a comfort blanket.
I love the Walsh sisters. Angels is one of my faves

And mammy walsh obviously

I’m reading Firefly Lane at the moment, after watching the Netflix series. I’m really enjoying it!
I love getting to properly know the characters and feeling an emotional connection to them.

can anyone recommend anything similar? Maybe a series of books?

ive been trying to get back into reading and haven’t connected to many books that I’ve been reading, I think because I just don’t care about the characters, I don’t care what happens to them! I finished the guest list last week and didn’t care about any of the characters at all.
I finished watching the series on Netflix last night and couldn't believe the last episode. I'd normally read the book before watching the movie /series and this is the first time I've done the reverse. I have the book on my kindle and am hoping that it's better and draws a proper conclusion.

Can I save you all the tedious task of reading The Housewarming? It didn't grip me at all, story was long and drawn out, over use of character's names drove me mad and the ending was such a let down. I stayed up late last night to finish it and the only positive I can draw from is that it was free on Prime and I didn't waste any money. It got a generous 2 stars from me. Now I'm off to find a good book to cleanse my mind 😂
I apologise. In my haste to warn you off a really poorly written book, I made a big mistake!!

The book I meant to say was The House Party by Mary Grand and definitely not the great The Housewarming by S. E. Lynes. Need to pay more attention to auto correct.

Reactions: 1
I have finished A deadly influence - Mike Omer and I thought it was a solid 4.5 stars. I really enjoyed the twists and turns. It was really well written. I'm pleased I picked it up on Amazon First reads for free.

Reactions: 3
I’ve just started The Salt Path as I have to lead a book group discussion on it. I’m reserving judgement but I’m not loving it right now.

reading one by one by ruth ware - about 30% in so far really enjoying it

I’ve just started The Salt Path as I have to lead a book group discussion on it. I’m reserving judgement but I’m not loving it right now.
I've read that and enjoyed it. But it's quite an emotional read. I would say stick with it. Let us know what you think if you finish it.

I've read that and enjoyed it. But it's quite an emotional read. I would say stick with it. Let us know what you think if you finish it.
Will do! The thing that is jarring me right now is all the Simon Armitage stuff. Moth looks nothing like Simon.

• Haha
Just finished Behind Her Eyes and quite enjoyed it, I called the first reveal but not the second. Downloaded another of her books so hopefully the writing is consistent.
Read Magpies a long time ago and it messed me up, something about the psychological warfare in your own home hit a nerve. It still makes me feel sick when I think about it too long.

I’m on reading The Other Wife by Claire McGowan and I’m just not gripped by it. I’m 33% in and nothing seems to have happened yet. Normally I’ll read for at least 30 minutes before I go to sleep and pick up random chapters through the day but at the moment I’m only reading 1-2 chapters a day and I just don’t care.

Has anyone read it that can tell me wether to keep going or give up?

Just finished Behind Her Eyes and quite enjoyed it, I called the first reveal but not the second. Downloaded another of her books so hopefully the writing is consistent.
Read Magpies a long time ago and it messed me up, something about the psychological warfare in your own home hit a nerve. It still makes me feel sick when I think about it too long.
Who is magpies by?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.