Books #7 reading chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What are people’s thoughts on kindle unlimited? I’m not entirely sure I understand how it works but noticed Coleen Hoover’s new book was free with unlimited if you had it

Reactions: 1
I got Dial A for aunties in the charity shop today and a few others. I e got about 5 books on the go at the moment and am really annoying myself by not sticking to one. Im reading Rachel’s Holiday on kindle cos I was surprised to discover I’d never read it

What are people’s thoughts on kindle unlimited? I’m not entirely sure I understand how it works but noticed Coleen Hoover’s new book was free with unlimited if you had it
Bit like a digital library :) worth it for a couple of months /if you can get it for free/99p

Reactions: 2
I started Not a Happy Family by Shari Lapena last week but I couldn’t get into it. The writing was dull and I’m trying to do better this year at moving on when I’m not enjoying a book so I DNF before I was halfway through. To anyone who did finish it, does it improve in the second half?

Now I’ve started The Love Hypothesis which I was wary about at first because most books that started as fanfiction are terrible but I’m loving this one so far.

You can often get deals on Unlimited or Audible. Say 99p for the first 2/3 months like Lola said.

You can have 10 unlimited books at a time and then you would need to return one before you purchased any more.

I’ve had it and cancelled in the past as tend to buy 99p books anyway so didn’t see the value. However they did seem to add a lot more books to unlimited which was great. However again(!) once my current 99p offer ends with both UL and Audible, I’m going to cancel at least for a while as have started using the library app for both of those formats.

Reactions: 4
I'm trying to read The Starless Sea- it's SO overwritten to the point where I literally GROANED at one passage. Anyone else read it and felt the same? I even borrowed the audio book to see if that helped but it's not helping.
oh god i hated that book. a friend of mine asked me what it was about literally five minutes after i finished it and i said “i don’t know?!” it was overwritten to the point of being unreadable in places.

I finished The Shut Away Sisters yesterday. I don't usually enjoy books when the chapters jump from one time period to another, one being the end of the first world war and the other being 1999 in this book. But this book was so nicely written it made that bearable. It really pressed home how the effects of war don't end when the war is won but instead go on for years after. It was a good read.

I started The Rising Tide by Sam Lloyd this afternoon and am already 65% through. It is a superb book so far and unless it has a stupid ending will surely find itself nestling in my favourite books of the year pile. I can barely put it down, I really want to find out what has happened

Reactions: 3
oh god i hated that book. a friend of mine asked me what it was about literally five minutes after i finished it and i said “i don’t know?!” it was overwritten to the point of being unreadable in places.
I'm so glad I'm not the only person feeling this way!!

Thanks to this thread I’ve gotten back into my reading and so far in Jan have read Magpie and Rock Paper Scissors (as well as reading The Magic alongside them each day). What to read next?! Any thriller type recommendations gratefully received!

Okay, Colleen Hoovers new book Reminders of Him was released today, and I’ve just finished it. Pardon my French, but holy tit!!! I loved it. It was so good, I didn’t stop crying for like the last third of the book. I’m so glad I decided to read it all in one day whilst I’ve been under the weather. I definitely recommend to those of you who are Colleen Hoover fans and haven’t got the book already

Reactions: 7
Okay, Colleen Hoovers new book Reminders of Him was released today, and I’ve just finished it. Pardon my French, but holy tit!!! I loved it. It was so good, I didn’t stop crying for like the last third of the book. I’m so glad I decided to read it all in one day whilst I’ve been under the weather. I definitely recommend to those of you who are Colleen Hoover fans and haven’t got the book already
Ok but I bought this earlier for 2.99 (lol i accidentally bought it on my mums amazon account and not mine so cancelled and returned ???? then rebought it on my account so I can download it to my kindle) and now I want to start this right now 🤣

• Haha
Ooh thanks for the recommendation I’ve just got this on kindle unlimited.

• Heart
I tend to take advantage of the 3 month trials for €1.99 or similar. Currently signed up for free until next month. I like that it's introduced me to authors I wouldn't normally go for. All of Rachel Abbot's Tom Douglas series were found through KU and I'm eternally grateful cause I wouldn't have thought to try them usually. Shari Lowe's books and Mark Edwards (dark, disturbing but brilliant) are also on KU. Borrow up to 10 books at a time and return as soon as you've finished so you can keep borrowing.

The only downside for me is that the borrowed books don't show as "read" when browsing Amazon. I've been known to download a book only to discover that I read it a while back lol 😆

I find KU really good for reading indie authors - in both the mystery & romance genres. Quality can vary wildly with indie authors though (some are more diligent about hiring editors than others for example).

Ive bit the bullet and used a audible credit for Razorblade Tears.

This is on kindle offer today. I havent read it but did read another by the same author and really enjoyed it. I cant buy anymore books atm. I have so many and have been approved for the new Jane Shemilt on net galley which Im excited about.
Oh I’m excited to read Razorblade tears, let me know what you think x

I know a website you sign up with and get 10 free downloads of books a day if anyone is interested there’s loads of books on there and I highly recommend it

I like it but I definitely get the value out of it. Probably be better off buying 0.99 books if you won't read several a month.

I set up a shared household at christmas (when I was trying to hide my Christmas purchases from my account) and this has reminded me to look into if Unlimited can be shared too so my daughter can have a separate kindle account.

• Heart
I started Not a Happy Family by Shari Lapena last week but I couldn’t get into it. The writing was dull and I’m trying to do better this year at moving on when I’m not enjoying a book so I DNF before I was halfway through. To anyone who did finish it, does it improve in the second half?

Now I’ve started The Love Hypothesis which I was wary about at first because most books that started as fanfiction are terrible but I’m loving this one so far.
I read not a happy family last year it does pick up but the ending is not great!

Oh feck!! Ive just had notification of a net galley request I did over a week ago. Any others have been approved right away so when I didnt hear anything I requested another. I cant do anymore now 😂 its one I really wanted though so that's good! Best get reading.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.