Books #7 reading chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you for the new thread - this is definitely my favourite thread on tattle! Just started my 2nd book of the year - Hamnet. Took me a few chapters to get into it but now I’m loving it!

Reactions: 8
Just parking my place here. I finished my Net Galley book and started Such a Fun Age Yesterday. I still have Know My Name on audible but its quite heavy listening so I can only do a chapter at a time.

Reactions: 3
So glad to see Anthony Horowitz is on the honours list this year! I really enjoyed moonflower murders.

Just finished my first book of the year which was Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. I’m a huge fan of the show but the book was really bad, would not recommend.

Going to re-read HP& the Goblet of Fire next in the hopes it helps me get back into rhythm with reading.

Reactions: 7
Thank you for the new thread - this is definitely my favourite thread on tattle! Just started my 2nd book of the year - Hamnet. Took me a few chapters to get into it but now I’m loving it!
I have this in my pile of books to read and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm just finishing The Man Who Died Twice.

Just finished my first book of the year which was Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. I’m a huge fan of the show but the book was really bad, would not recommend.

Going to re-read HP& the Goblet of Fire next in the hopes it helps me get back into rhythm with reading.
Such a shame about the Dexter book!
I’m considering rereading the HP books. I’ve not read them since I was a teenager and I’m not sure how I’ll enjoy them now.

Reactions: 2
I’ve just finished The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett, and I feel a little disappointed.

Don’t get me wrong the book was good, although at times the timeline is rather jumpy. I enjoyed the topics it covered in the book e.g. racism, LGBTQIA+ but the ending really spoiled it. Without giving it away, it just ended rather abruptly and it spoiled the book for me

More could have been done. IMO one of the characters should have been at the final scene, or at least made aware

Reactions: 4
I’m considering rereading the HP books. I’ve not read them since I was a teenager and I’m not sure how I’ll enjoy them now.
I have recently read 1, 2 & 3 and still found them really enjoyable, the first 2 probably in a more comforting way. They are very short and easy though.

It may be different as I get to the later ones but I still think it’s great story telling and there’s so much the films miss out that you forget about when you haven’t read them for a while. I would definitely give them a go but maybe do what I’m doing and don’t read them all at once and read something else in between.

Reactions: 2
I’ve just started ‘The Ladies Midnight Swimming Club’ by Faith Hogan anyone read it?

I tried to pop into a book shop today and thankfully it was closed. What am I playing at 😂 I was hoping they would have a copy of Detransition, baby. I know I would've 100% brought that!

I started 56 days last night and enjoying it so far. I should have a nice chilled day at work today *touch wood* so might try to get some reading in this afternoon.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I'll also be rereading the HP books this year, but I'm still not sure when.

I'm about to finish my reread of Salem's Lot before I finally read the Dark Tower series.

Reactions: 6
I've read them again several times and always enjoyed it. You notice new things or understand something a little differently each time. I first read the Philosphers Stone when I was 7 and I enjoy it just as much now at 31 ☺

Reactions: 7
The happiest man on earth (isn’t as cheery as it sounds) but I did enjoy it way more than a lot of the holocaust books I’ve read

Reactions: 1
I decided this year I really want to get through my twisted disney books, usually I start an leave it then don't go back, so far am about half way through the beauty an the beast one, really enjoying it so far, there's only maybe I think 10 or around that in the series an they aren't really long books, around 400/500 pages long

Can anyone recommend any good books, I enjoy the fantasy type, I enjoyed harry potter an Lord of the rings but I don't feel I want to reread them anytime soon, am not into the whole gore/violence/sex especially if that's all its about like game of thrones, if it's mild an has a reason I'll read but I don't like books thay just revolve around that, thanks

I'll also be rereading the HP books this year, but I'm still not sure when.

I'm about to finish my reread of Salem's Lot before I finally read the Dark Tower series.
Salem’s Lot is one of my fave SK books. Shame the film is so bad 😂

• Haha
I decided this year I really want to get through my twisted disney books, usually I start an leave it then don't go back, so far am about half way through the beauty an the beast one, really enjoying it so far, there's only maybe I think 10 or around that in the series an they aren't really long books, around 400/500 pages long

Can anyone recommend any good books, I enjoy the fantasy type, I enjoyed harry potter an Lord of the rings but I don't feel I want to reread them anytime soon, am not into the whole gore/violence/sex especially if that's all its about like game of thrones, if it's mild an has a reason I'll read but I don't like books thay just revolve around that, thanks
Have you read any Brandon Sanderson? He's more of a classic fantasy writer. There's violence through battles and stuff like that, but it isn't a GRR Martin or Abercrombie kind of violence and gore. And romance barely plays a part in his books, plus he doesn't really do sex scenes because of his religion.

Salem’s Lot is one of my fave SK books. Shame the film is so bad 😂
Fingers crossed we get a remake one day 😂

Have you read any Brandon Sanderson? He's more of a classic fantasy writer. There's violence through battles and stuff like that, but it isn't a GRR Martin or Abercrombie kind of violence and gore. And romance barely plays a part in his books, plus he doesn't really do sex scenes because of his religion.
Haven't really heard of him, but I'll look out an check some of his works thanks, like I say I don't mind some violence if it has a point so battles I could do

Second book done! The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue was another hyped book that I didn't understand the hype for! As usual, withcindy summed up my thoughts perfectly:

"VE Schwab has consistently great writing as always and really wrote her ass off here. I can tell many of the internal struggles that the main characters go through (particularly Henry) come from a personal place in Schwab's life, and you can feel that earnestly pouring through the pages. This book would be enjoyed by people who like slower, atmospheric, and character-driven stories. I think this works if you relate to the characters; if you don’t, the narrative becomes quite repetitive and saccharine. The level of navel gazing is 110% and really lays it on thick - it feels like watching an artsy indie film with sentimental white hipsters and a splash of magic, albeit written elegantly!" https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3575989202?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.