Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Its a decades work Im sure I read. It was turned down by so many publishers as 'we dont know how to market this'

Its a wonderful book but so sad.

On a similar note. Has anyone read American Psycho? Ive watched the film but I saw a tik tok talking about the book and people were commenting saying they could only read small parts at a time. Is it that bad?
My friend is reading this, the text is dense and it’s a slow burner

Reactions: 2
On a similar note. Has anyone read American Psycho? Ive watched the film but I saw a tik tok talking about the book and people were commenting saying they could only read small parts at a time. Is it that bad?
I read it once on holiday about 7 years ago - one scene is still burned onto my brain! I don’t remember a lot of the book except I enjoyed it while also being disgusted by it at points, but one scene in particular is still living in my brain.

Can someone tell me who ‘Stolen’ is written by please? Lots of you mentioned it and I want to download it - thank you 😊

vox or Q both by christina dalcher. I loved Last one at the party by Bethany Clift this year too
I’ve just read Vox - loved the premise but didn’t like it as it went on. It just seemed to go on forever not really getting anywhere.

Other dystopian ones I’ve enjoyed this year have been The End of Men - Christina Sweeney-Baird, Last One at the Party, The Unit - Ninni Holmqvist and The Passengers - John Marrs.

Reactions: 3
I’ve just read Vox - loved the premise but didn’t like it as it went on. It just seemed to go on forever not really getting anywhere.

Other dystopian ones I’ve enjoyed this year have been The End of Men - Christina Sweeney-Baird, Last One at the Party, The Unit - Ninni Holmqvist and The Passengers - John Marrs.
Ah I really enjoyed the unit too! Although passed it onto a friend who had just turned 50 and she didn’t enjoy it as much because of the concept 🙈

• Haha
I've just finished good as dead by Susan Walter. It was my amazon first reads pick for the month. Definitely glad I picked it! Twists and turns I didn't expect and a really good story.

Finished Beautiful World, Where Are You a few days ago, I pretty much stand by what I said originally that it’s more similar to Conversations With Friends. There’s a Normal People style romance but that’s less than half the book. It was okay, I don’t regret spending my time on it but wouldn’t say it’s one of the best I’ve read. I’ll put my little ramble under a spoiler (not actual spoilers, just vague thoughts)

Stuff I liked: the centrepiece of female friendship was interesting; SR is good at exploring complexities in all kinds of relationships and I enjoyed reading about the friendship/family conflicts. The characters are all 29+ which was refreshing as previously they’ve all been younger. The last chapters (about 2.5 hours in audiobook) were written particularly well imo.

Stuff I didn’t like: lots of sex scenes which mostly end in drama* (it got boring); unnecessary conflict that just felt stupid; a particular character was so unlikeable but in a way that made me wish they’d just disappear rather than loving to hate them; the ending didn’t feel like SR at all. Some of the academic talk got a bit too pretentious and long winded and reading her characters basically talk at each other gets annoying even if that is ~the point~.

*I listened on audible and while the female narrator got into character for the women in sex scenes, she gave no fucks about the men. At one point she acted out the man saying “is it okay if I come?” in the same tone as he might say “have you put the bins out?”. Had to laugh at that.

Generally speaking I find it odd that SR is currently so popular among the younger generation. I’m 27 and find some aspects of her work quite dated. The extreme thinness and hints about disordered eating that is consistent across her female characters has been picked up on a little, but not the relationships with men which are quite… questionable. Many of them date much younger women who are financially unstable (while they have steady careers) and the power imbalance is something SR makes really obvious but she never seems to attempt to unpack it like she does with class, therefore I think her younger readers don’t really either and it all feels a bit weird.

This is why I found CWF depressing 😂
Ah how interesting. It has reminded me quite why I disliked Normal People the book so much, but liked the series.

Spoiler just in case

I hated the way Book Marianne was strangely beautiful and elfin once she lost weight and was troubled and fragile and all the lads then admitted they fancied her and wanted to protect her. It felt ghoulish tbh. A thin unhappy woman was most desirable and interesting. Disappointing SR is doing this again then. The TV series did not seem to dwell on Marianne's changing shape, plus the character was far less irritating than Book Marianne.

ETA Marion Keyes does this as well. Her women become depressed, lose masses of weight and are then incredibly desirable.
Every. Single. Time

Just finished migrations by Charlotte McConaghy, i had read a lot of rave reviews about this book so was quite excited toread it,

I found it very underwhelming though, It was a VERY slow build up to the story, i don’t know there was just something missing for me.

Reactions: 1
I've just finished good as dead by Susan Walter. It was my amazon first reads pick for the month. Definitely glad I picked it! Twists and turns I didn't expect and a really good story.
I didn’t end up downloading one this month as none took my fancy. Might go for Good As Dead on your recommendation.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.