Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been reading loads of Jo Bartlett- Cornish midwife series and highland doctors. Just finished one about a village obsessed with Christmas and now onto second Xmas one. All on kindle unlimited. They have it all, jaded female characters with complicated parents/ex/ running away. Sad lonely and or evil business man also With A Past. single parent friends, friends with heartbreaking backstories.
they are never going to win any high brow reading awards but they are nice and well written for the genre

Reactions: 2
Guys... I'm mega confused and I was hoping someone might be able help me... Why do Evelyns seem to keep getting sevens of things?! Seven husbands, and then I've seen seven deaths, but I've also weirdly seen seven and a half deaths too, and at this point I feel like I'm hallucinating in the library. What is going on, is there any one who can help me feel a little less discombobulated in the contemporary fiction section, because I genuinely don't understand why there seem to be 3 (or more, who know at this point) Evelyns getting seven things....
Seven Deaths and Seven and a half deaths is the same.book but retitled in the US as people were confusing it with Seven Husbands...

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I finished The Guest List. Wow. I really enjoyed it and didn't see the twists that were coming.

Reactions: 6
2 out of 4 books are ready for library pick up. Not sure if I can be bothered tonight but definitely going this weekend. I can't wait

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Anyone got any recommendations from kindle unlimited, I’ve had a free trial and I’ve read a bit from it but have any of you read anything good from it?

2 out of 4 books are ready for library pick up. Not sure if I can be bothered tonight but definitely going this weekend. I can't wait
I’m obsessed with the library lately ☺

Just finished one about a village obsessed with Christmas and now onto second Xmas one. All on kindle unlimited. They have it all, jaded female characters with complicated parents/ex/ running away. Sad lonely and or evil business man also With A Past. single parent friends, friends with heartbreaking backstories.
they are never going to win any high brow reading awards but they are nice and well written for the genre
*hears Christmas*
YOU CALLED 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
It’s so nice that others here use the library. I’ve used mine for years and saved a fortune on books. The staff have got to know me too and recommend books.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Anyone got any recommendations from kindle unlimited, I’ve had a free trial and I’ve read a bit from it but have any of you read anything good from it?
A lot!

This is my list I keep on notes of Kindle Unlimited some I have read and enjoyed, others I am pretty sure I will like as they came from bookstagram. Mostly crime/thriller. I think KU is great value, but I can't get to my actual library right now. I just keep adding to this KU list.....

The Perfect Child - Lucinda Berry

When We Believed In Mermaids - Barbara o'Neill

Drift Net - Lin Anderson (started this but found it a bit boggy, I will go back to it again though)

Devil in the Red Dirt - Michael P Smith

The Patriot Cipher - Sean McCutchen (reading this now and loving it)

The Square - Rosie Millard

Tess Stimson - which ones of hers are on KU changes a lot, but any are good.

And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie

First One in, Last One Out - Marilyn Shimon

She's Come Undone - Wally Lamb

The Thing About Clare - Imogen Clark

Honeymoon for One - Portia MacIntosh

Evidence of the Affair - Taylor Jenkins Reid (I am yet to read any of hers that I actually enjoy)

The Guilty Mother - Diane Jeffrey

The Push - Claire McGowan

He Will Find You - Diane Jeffrey

Every Last Secret - A R Torre

The Ghostwriter - Alessandra Torre

The Woman Next Door - Natasha Boydell

Inside Broadmoor - Jonathan Levi

The Snowdonia Killings (series) - Simon McCleave

Tall Oaks - Chris Whitaker

A Parent Apart - Gary Wright

A Litter of Bones - JD Kirk

The Wish List - Ruby Hummingbird

A Thousand Tiny Disappointments - Sarah Edghill

Above and Beyond - Saskia Swann

Don't Tell Jack - Harriet Mills

Queen of Hearts - Eve Alexander

Divided House - J M Dalgleish (start of series)

Corfe Castle Murders - Rachel McLean (start of series)

Carol Wyer - all of hers.

A River in Darkness - Masaji Ishikawa (about his escape from North Korea, I can't wait to read this)

Bloodline - Jess Lourey

Small Sacrifices - Ann Rule (true life murder of children by mother so a little bit hard to read)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
It’s so nice that others here use the library. I’ve used mine for years and saved a fortune on books. The staff have got to know me too and recommend books.
I love my library, despite our town being mostly neglected and having very little attention paid to it our library is brilliant. Always quick to get new releases and with such lovely staff who are happy to chat and recommend, plus it is in a quirky old building that is just charming to be inside. I wish more people used their library, they are such wonderful resources.

I really enjoyed this!!!
It was possibly you that mentioned it and got it added to my list!

I need to try to make more of a habit with it! I could definitely save loads on books. I joined my library start of 2020 and find it a bit out of my way so haven't been often. But I need to make more of an effort with it. These two books I'm due to pick up will save me £9.06 I would've spent on my kindle.

Reactions: 3
[/QUOT
I would love to use my local library but I just can’t get past not knowing where books have been, what has potentially been on them etc 🤢 Same reason I can’t buy second hand books. It has always grossed me out but since the pandemic I’m even worse 🤣 Is it just me that feels like this or am I weird?? 🤣

Wish I didn’t feel this way as it would save me a fortune on books!!

Reactions: 1
I love the library. I use their ebook app. I have been using it for two years or so now. I have discovered so many books on it that I wouldn't have picked up in store.

Reactions: 4
I get what you mean @Custard cream ! I have been a little suspicious of the cleanliness too. I normally leave them for 48 hours before touching and give them a little wipe beforehand and hope for the best....
I started "we were never here" tonight and really got into it. 27% already!

@Custard cream The best thing about the library these days is that you can get ebooks and audiobooks through them! so you can avoid any potential germs. Might be worth looking in to?

@Custard cream Viruses don't live for long on paper. Current standard guidance is that books are isolated for at least 24 hours before they're handled by library staff and returned to the shelves. I appreciate your caution and, if you're being extra vigilant, you could isolate books at home before reading them. There's nothing organic on books for viruses to live on so anything traces die off pretty quickly.

Reactions: 10
Another library lover here too! I’ve been ordering and holding books from them which costs £1 per book….so far I’ve had 14 holds but that is still a lot cheaper than buying the books on kindle!

Reactions: 9
Okay so I've zoomed through We were never here. Lovedddd it! 5 stars for me. So do I read one more book before popping to the library tomorrow? 😂

Okay so I've zoomed through We were never here. Lovedddd it! 5 stars for me. So do I read one more book before popping to the library tomorrow? 😂
I very nearly gave up on this book when I was about 20% through and am so glad I didn't, it turned out to be one of my favourite reads this year.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.