Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love the library too. One of my Saturday jobs was to shelf stack in a library. Loved it.
My local one is tiny, they never rotate stock and it's run by volunteers who constantly witch about people in the hearing of customers, so it's really awkward. It's a shame really, but it's probably gonna be shut down in the near future as not many people use it.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Another library lover here too! I’ve been ordering and holding books from them which costs £1 per book….so far I’ve had 14 holds but that is still a lot cheaper than buying the books on kindle!
you have to pay to hold books? 😳

Reactions: 2
We have to pay to reserve books at our library too, £1 for adults, 10p for children's. I never used to mind, but given books sooner or later are 99p on Kindle it doesn't make much sense anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
you have to pay to hold books? 😳
Are you a member who is in England? Because it’s like this in most English libraries, outside of covid, during covid some introduced free select and collect, in another country I lived in people wouldn’t have to pay for it either! It’s just how they keep the services ticking over

Reactions: 1
Are you a member who is in England? Because it’s like this in most English libraries, outside of covid, during covid some introduced free select and collect, in another country I lived in people wouldn’t have to pay for it either! It’s just how they keep the services ticking over
no I’m not in England! I didn’t know this! 😯

Reactions: 1
Woah, I'm in England and I never have to pay a penny to my library, and had no idea people were paying :0 The only time I would have to pay would be if I didn't return something in time

I love the library too. One of my Saturday jobs was to shelf stack in a library. Loved it.
My local one is tiny, they never rotate stock and it's run by volunteers who constantly witch about people in the hearing of customers, so it's really awkward. It's a shame really, but it's probably gonna be shut down in the near future as not many people use it.
If it's not staffed by paid professionals then it's not a library.

• Heart
I'm 20% into Northwind by JD Kirk which is a spin off of the DCI Jack Logan series. I already know it's going to be my new favourite series. (It better be a bloody series)

Honestly whoever it was here that recommended the Jack Logan books I hope you win the lottery. They are my favourite favourites. Hold on let me do a search so I can tag you!

It's was this post from @gashers ❤

I'm 20% into Northwind by JD Kirk which is a spin off of the DCI Jack Logan series. I already know it's going to be my new favourite series. (It better be a bloody series)

Honestly whoever it was here that recommended the Jack Logan books I hope you win the lottery. They are my favourite favourites. Hold on let me do a search so I can tag you!

It's was this post from @gashers ❤
They’re all on kindle unlimited!!! :)

If it's not staffed by paid professionals then it's not a library.
There's loads staffed by volunteers nowadays as councils want to save money by closing them down. There's at least three libraries staffed solely by volunteers in an eight mile radius of me.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Woah, I'm in England and I never have to pay a penny to my library, and had no idea people were paying :0 The only time I would have to pay would be if I didn't return something in time
In my library of you ask the librarian to reserve an item for you, you pay a reservation fee. If you reserve it yourself online it is free

There's loads staffed by volunteers nowadays as councils want to save money by closing them down. There's at least three libraries staffed solely by volunteers in an eight mile radius of me.
This! Paid library services are dying out but community libraries are still a thing.

hello everyone! I just stumbled on this thread but feels like my kinda place! I’m currently reading The Book of Two Ways by Jodi Picoult, I have Crawdads and the Strawberry Thief in my paper tbr pile. I also have a kindle and switch between the two 😊

I just finished A Nurses Story by Louise Curtis about an A&E nurse during Covid. I’m drawn to those types of biographies as I’m a nurse in ED myself but this one lacked the humour and wit of others I’ve read that lighten the load of a heavy work environment. She was also very self congratulatory at times and seemed to look down on her other “newer” colleagues which I didn’t gel with. She described herself as beautiful and pretty more than once too which made me eye roll. If you’re into those kind of books I wouldn’t bother. She’s no Adam Kay.

Reactions: 6
I know and it's just a last gasp attempt by councils before they shut down the service for good. A library without qualified staff is just a book swap service.

Reactions: 5
I know and it's just a last gasp attempt by councils before they shut down the service for good. A library without qualified staff is just a book swap service.
Very true. Libraries are a statutory service or they would have been shut down already.
in England our councils have to provide a library service either in house or by contracting the service out to someone else.
The basic book loan service has to be free but libraries can legally charge for additional services such as reserving books, computer use etc. Some services are now trying to get rid of fines and reservation charges to remove barriers to use. It really makes me happy to hear the love for libraries on this thread. I’m made up that so many of you use and appreciate your library service ❤❤❤❤

• Heart
Reactions: 7
We’ve always had to pay to hold books in the library’s in my area (Cheshire) is this not a thing?
We’ve never had to here, to be honest I wouldn’t object to it if it was going to the library itself. But it’s not something we’ve ever had to do, the sometimes do kids Saturday morning craft/reading clubs that are 3.50/5 but you’re also getting the crafts for free,
Last year they even arranged for Halloween packs to be made, that could be collected for kids to make ghosts and witches 😍🥰

I’m ashamed to say I’d only started looking at the library again when the kids here were old enough to go and make use of it. And only started to use it myself over lockdown, before that it had been years!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.