Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It depends on your library authority. Some charge and some don’t.
is this relatively new? I haven't used the library in a few years but when I last did there was no payment for rexerving anything

Reactions: 1
I’m another person who doesn’t have to pay to reserve library books. 2/7 of mine were available to pick up so I grabbed them today.

My library TBR Pile:
Something new under the sun
Such a fun age
The arrest
The plot
And the Thursday murder club

I’ve got a tough week next week but I’m confident I can read them before they’re due back.

Reactions: 3
I’m another person who doesn’t have to pay to reserve library books. 2/7 of mine were available to pick up so I grabbed them today.

My library TBR Pile:
Something new under the sun
Such a fun age
The arrest
The plot
And the Thursday murder club

I’ve got a tough week next week but I’m confident I can read them before they’re due back.
I've just been given such a fun age by a friend, haven't started reading yet but looks good!

is this relatively new? I haven't used the library in a few years but when I last did there was no payment for rexerving anything
Have a look on your local library website.

Mine only charges if you get a librarian to reserve it for you. If you reserve yourself online it is free

No. Even 30+ years ago reservation fees were common. But nowadays, some library services charge them and some don’t. Just as some are now abolishing fines. Which is all good.

So I decided it was now acceptable to start reading Christmas books….. just finished The Christmas Holiday by Sophie Claire and was extremely disappointed ☹ It wasn’t the least bit festive at all!! Was about 2 people who didn’t want to celebrate Christmas so went on holiday and didn’t have a tree, Christmas dinner or anything remotely festive!!

Hoping my next Christmas pick will have more festive feels.

Reactions: 4
So I decided it was now acceptable to start reading Christmas books….. just finished The Christmas Holiday by Sophie Claire and was extremely disappointed ☹ It wasn’t the least bit festive at all!! Was about 2 people who didn’t want to celebrate Christmas so went on holiday and didn’t have a tree, Christmas dinner or anything remotely festive!!

I really liked letters to Father Christmas by J RR Tolkien, but I don’t read loads of Christmas books so it might not be great 😂

Reactions: 2
I've found it depends on the area - if the area is classed as deprived (like mine is 13 out of 317 - 1 being the most deprived), then your reservations (and other charges) are likely to be free or low.

Ive never read a Christmas book in my life and I dont want to 😅 My social media is constant adverts for Christmas books?!? I blame this thread.

The two I remember are called

The Arctic Curry Club and The North Pole Post Box.

One of my favourite recent reads was The changeling by Victor Lavalle.
I read a lot but that really stayed with me it's hard to sum up as it goes in many different directions (but all connected).
It's a kind of modern day fable/folk tale/fairytale/nightmare/thriller (and more!) about loss being a (new) parent the ghosts of the past and immigrant alienation and the pivotal role of mothers also absent fathers and the challenges we all face to protect ourselves and loved ones and make peace with the world.
It starts with something shocking happening and then there is a quest for the truth and a journey is involved and clues left along the way so far so standard except it never goes where you think it will. (Always a good thing with a book).
Instead it skillfully weaves together many different strands and viewpoints and even genres and I thought the effect was quite exhilarating and intriguing also atmospheric.
So on the whole I would really recommend it particularly if anyone wants a good Halloween read.

Reactions: 2
So I’ve just finished it ends with us by Colleen hoover (I started it yesterday morning!) has anybody else read it? It was so good

Reactions: 5
One of my favourite recent reads was The changeling by Victor Lavalle.
I read a lot but that really stayed with me it's hard to sum up as it goes in many different directions (but all connected).
It's a kind of modern day fable/folk tale/fairytale/nightmare/thriller (and more!) about loss being a (new) parent the ghosts of the past and immigrant alienation and the pivotal role of mothers also absent fathers and the challenges we all face to protect ourselves and loved ones and make peace with the world.
It starts with something shocking happening and then there is a quest for the truth and a journey is involved and clues left along the way so far so standard except it never goes where you think it will. (Always a good thing with a book).
Instead it skillfully weaves together many different strands and viewpoints and even genres and I thought the effect was quite exhilarating and intriguing also atmospheric.
So on the whole I would really recommend it particularly if anyone wants a good Halloween read.
Sounds gorgeous! Added to my TBR.

My Halloween/autumnal reading list is getting crazy long, I'm gonna need to spill over into November for sure! Not complaining though, the more atmospheric reads, the better!

So I’ve just finished it ends with us by Colleen hoover (I started it yesterday morning!) has anybody else read it? It was so good
I haven't read it yet, however, it is high on my TBR! I am super curious about Colleen Hoover, she seems to really really work for some, and doesn't work at ALL for others, based on what I've seen online. A booktuber I follow and like (Books with Brittany) said it was a really meaningful read for her and actually helped her break out of an abusive marriage, which makes me really want to pick it up!

• Heart

I can’t do twee Christmas books, they need to have a real plot or I get annoyed 😂
I think some of my favourites have been two authors I mention a lot here,

some of my top picks, but I have a lot 🙈
1B84F63F-A341-4314-89C1-665EF435394F.jpeg
4B022D29-C399-4A20-8992-6034FA5CD88A.jpeg
F7AB4FEA-1700-40AB-9B56-6AFFAB20814F.jpeg
19427548-721F-472C-862D-36ED613AEFCD.jpeg

Reactions: 6
It is one of my favourite books i’ve read and one of the few I wish I could read for the first time again

I’m in Australia, and don’t get charged for any library service. My library has even been doing free book delivery during the lockdowns to vulnerable or less mobile patrons 😭 so sweet. Plus a click and collect service.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m in Australia, and don’t get charged for any library service. My library has even been doing free book delivery during the lockdowns to vulnerable or less mobile patrons 😭 so sweet. Plus a click and collect service.
I did my dissertation on Australian library services 😀
Most UK libraries also provide a home delivery service to people who can’t get to a physical library or struggle to use the ebook provision. Click and collect started here during the pandemic, lots of places have kept it as an option even though we are now getting back to normal.

Reactions: 7
I loved this one!! I really like her and her books (except for Verity, a lot of people were saying it was such a good thriller but imo this one was boring and predictable 😅)

I loved this one!! I really like her and her books (except for Verity, a lot of people were saying it was such a good thriller but imo this one was boring and predictable 😅)
I enjoyed verity but did feel like it dragged….I liked the ending though!
What other Colleen hoover books would you recommend?

I enjoyed verity but did feel like it dragged….I liked the ending though!
What other Colleen hoover books would you recommend?
Just checked on my goodreads haha because I read all of these a while ago
The ones I gave the highest rating and would 10/10 recommend: confess and november 9
The ones that were not outstanding but still enjoyable: hopeless and ugly love

Bit behind everyone else but I finished Three Hours last night. I think the last 20% or so was the best bit.

I enjoyed the story telling from different POV’s but felt there was a lot of talk and not much action.

That’s my reading goal of 50 books complete though, so let’s see where I end up by the end of the year. No idea what I’m reading next!

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.