Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Lola123

VIP Member
Just finished reading a book on the Kindle and thought I had about 18% left to go. No, it turns out there's a sample of the author's other book so I didn't realise I was so close to the end! Does anyone else get annoyed by this?
Nah I love it because it means I’ve finished the book sooner than I intended 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5

mindlessness

VIP Member
I once dropped my brand new bought that very morning on release day copy of Order of the Phoenix in the bath. Did I finish the book while the pages were still drying out? Why yes I did!

Currently I think I have 2 non-fiction (one audio book, one physical) and 2 fiction books (one physical, one kindle) on the go? A book for every mood/location.

Warpaint

VIP Member
I've read nearly all Bill Bryson's books and A Walk In The Woods was my favourite. Close seconds were Notes From A Small Island, Made In America and Neither Here Nor There

Thank you everyone for sharing your tracking methods! I think a notebook/page in my diary (planner) will be the way to go. That way I can add the info from my 'Kindle Insights' (thanks for the reminder this existed @Cheddar Chalpupa!) plus the physical books.
At the end of the year I plan to show mine so I think it would be really cool to see what others have read. I know a few of us have read books from recommendations here :)

• Heart

Libertine1975

VIP Member
Just finished A Little Life, and I didn't enjoy it at all- it was so bleak and went on for way too long. Anyone else think it was overrated?
I've not read it and have no interested in it as it sounds totally depressing. Thanks for confirming my decision!

mindlessness

VIP Member
Never feel bad about not finishing a book I firmly go by, 100 minus your age is the number of pages that if you aren’t into it put it down. There are exceptions if there’s a book people have told you it takes a while to get into or you really want to finish it.

Which can I say the idea of “oh yeah I hated it to begin with” “it really takes a while to get good” the weirdest thing that’s just accepted by people. It’s the same with tv shows. Why do we just accept that some things aren’t enjoyable for the first 1/4 or 1/2 and we just have to deal with it, in the chance we’ll like it later on.
100% agree with you. Sure it's worth getting past a lack-luster pilot to ep 2 see if a show is good, and possible to read more than just one chapter before puutting a book down. Buty sometimes you do know - rather early on - if a book/movie/show is for you.

Currently I'm reading a non-fiction called Underground, Overground by Andrew Morton. Its subheading is something like 'A passengers history of the tube'. A little niche, but I'm really enjoying it.

emm

VIP Member
Loving this thread, always good to get advice. I went to waterstones for the first time in ages and wanted to buy about 12972197 books :ROFLMAO: got American Dirt and Fleishman is in trouble (which I started ages ago then lost so want to continue)

Awhenny

VIP Member
Ooh I have this on my TBR. A bookstagrammer with similar taste to me recommended it.

Im reading Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover. I love her writing style.
Finished that one last night. First one I have read by her...was ok, very easy reading. Now starting a 99p Mary Burton.

Love this thread!! Favourite author is Karin Slaughter.

nbt

VIP Member
I’ve finished Stolen!!

SUCH a good bloody book. At one point I actually gasped out loud.

• Heart

Lola123

VIP Member
I just use a notebook. I find it satisfying writing it down. I aim to read 100 books a year but I’m on well over 160 this year largely due to this thread!
I’m glad someone else has read the same volume of books as me because when I tell people I wonder if I’m far too ahead of most people 😂😂

Tit4Tattle

Chatty Member
So I’ve just finished it ends with us by Colleen hoover (I started it yesterday morning!) has anybody else read it? It was so good

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
Just finished The guest list, I know it got mixed reviews but I enjoyed it. Now going to go for Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton which will be book 50 of the year,whoop whoop!
Three Hours was my first book of the year and I’m now on my 48th but it has remained my absolute favourite of the year!

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Finished a few books this weekend,

State of terror by Hillary Clinton.
The chestnut man by soren Sveistrup
His and hers by Alice feeney
And
living my best lie/life by Claire Frost which is another Instagram influencer themed book.

I haven’t been able to listen to and audio book in ages but I’ve just got beautiful world where are you, not sure if I want to bother with it 😂

I think Lost Continent and Walk in the Woods are tied for my favourite, but I love them all. Notes From a Small Island is special because he visits George Orwell's grave and mentions Lord Asquith's grave in the same cemetery and my Nan is buried next to Lord Asquith ❤ (my Nan died about 15 years after the book came out but I feel like he's visiting her too when I read it!)

• Heart

Zenchick101

VIP Member
Diving back into my copy of "The beautiful and damned" by Scott Fitzgerald. Really enjoying the writing and the subtle details and ways scenes are described.

Merpedy

VIP Member
Currently reading Fake Law by The Secret Barrister. It's really interesting but I think it's reminding me too much of uni, plus I'm highlighting any bits I find relevant to my studies in case I decide to reference them later so. They do a wonderful job of explaining the basic concepts of the laws they're talking about, and why/how this fake mass-hysteria catches on around certain stories

Because that's a bit of a slog I'm also rotating in The Dennis Nilsen Tapes by Michael Morley. I'm only a few pages in but it seems that it'll be a good book! May watch that Netflix documentary after too