Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
Just finished reading a book on the Kindle and thought I had about 18% left to go. No, it turns out there's a sample of the author's other book so I didn't realise I was so close to the end! Does anyone else get annoyed by this?
Oh yes. I was reading a Poirot and it said I had an hour left so when he started solving it I assumed it was a red herring and then next thing I knew it had finished, so I felt like I didn't get to enjoy the reveal because I didn't realise it was the reveal!

The extra hour was just a synopsis of every other Poirot book FFS.

• Haha
Reactions: 5

Geranium

VIP Member
Pls update with your thoughts on the Lucinda Berry book! I read The Secrets of Us by her, and didn't find that it reached it's full potential for me sadly, so I'm curious how her other books pan out.

Hoping to try more thrillers over the next few months, so I bought Three Hours by Rosamund Lupton (thanks to seeing the 99p deal in this thread!) so I might try that later this month!
Three Hours is brilliant.

twilightgarden

VIP Member
I read the Harry Potter books usually every year. Depending on my mood I actually read them, or listen to the audiobooks by Stephen Fry 😍

I loved Enid Blyton and Jacqueline Wilson books growing up, wonder what I would make of them now

I agree super over hyped for me, but then I really didn’t like normal people at all as well
I really liked Crawdads, I thought it was a great kind of slow burner.

Didn't really like Normal People either, Maybe I'm old fashioned but the writing style bugged me, writing in the present tense with no quotation marks, not for me.

I enjoyed The Guest List, had an inclination as to whodunit but was pleasantly surprised with the ending.
I liked the Guest List too, I liked the mix of characters (who were, in the main, a bit more likeable than the characters in The Hunting Party). I'll admit I got the whodunnit wrong, but I was happy with how it was handled. Really liked the character of Hannah. I was listening to it on audiobook and they had a real lovely "northern lass" type reading her chapters

Meangirl815

VIP Member
I'm about half way through 56 Days and I'm loving it. Took me a few days to muster up the want to read it but now I'm hooked

Bea Saint

So finished Daisy Jones finally, didn’t enjoy it, very over hyped, wasn’t the worse book ever but it was just bland in places and the characters was mostly irritating, I dunno maybe it was the transcript format, I hope her next two books are better.

I seriously don’t know how people can read 4 books on the go I struggle with one.

I've finished The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz. I thought it was another good read. I definitely didn't guess some of the twists and it left me pleasantly surprised.
Price on kindle = £5.03. Add that to the book I finished on the weekend that is £9.56 and I still have 3 more to read. Thank you to my local library ❤

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I never pay any attention to chapter length, I will now though! I just read and carry on until I have to stop. I never think "I'll read 2 chapters and then clean the bathroom" or whatever.

Geranium

VIP Member
Maybe we could do a bit of an end of year round up similar to how on Goodreads people vote for their favourites from different categories. :giggle: or rather than genres we could do things like best overall, funniest book, one I would re-read, book I finished in a day etc.
Great idea!

• Heart

SoulDestroyer

VIP Member
I've been reading Shuggie Bain for about three weeks now (really, really slow for me). I am enjoying the writing, but it feels very dense. I am in awe that this was a debut novel.

It might be controversial but I don't see the appeal of reading in the bath 🙈 I pretty much only read in or on my bed. I used to read at work sometimes on my lunch break but that's it. I used to get travel sick on the tube 😂

@twilightgarden Thanks for sharing the link. I'm stuck on 16/20. I will head over to twitter to try to figure out the rest

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
There's loads staffed by volunteers nowadays as councils want to save money by closing them down. There's at least three libraries staffed solely by volunteers in an eight mile radius of me.
I know and it's just a last gasp attempt by councils before they shut down the service for good. A library without qualified staff is just a book swap service.

openbook1

VIP Member
I am not keen on super long chapters. But you know what I really dislike? Chapters that flip back and forth between present day and the past. One of the worst books I tried to read was The Time Traveler's Wife.

qwikti

Chatty Member
Super sad because I have to return Dune to the library while half way through (and loving it), and can't renew because someone has a hold :' ( I abhor movie covers on books, but it looks like I might have to just get the movie cover edition... :' (

1636169251550.png
1636169293701.png

£4.50 but hideous paperback VS. gorgeous but like £60 hardback... It's not an option, but I like to look at it just to torture myself a little.

And the awful 'soon to be a major motion picture' sticker... way to rub salt into my wounds! It's bad enough that it's a movie cover, I don't need to be kicked while I'm down.

Booklover

VIP Member
Finished Ghosts by Dolly Alderton. Not sure about the downstairs neighbour plot, but overall thought it was good and I'd recommend it.
Now onto Small Pleasures by Clare Chambers and I'm absolutely loving it. It's the right era for me and written in a tempo I love, so hope it doesn't disappoint. Anyone else read it?