Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@ordinaryjelly Could you tell me more about the Instagram challenge? I was planning to read the Book prize winners and short list from my year of birth this year. However some are proving quite hard to get copies of.

You've also given me a boot up the bum to start Animal tonight. Although I don't think it's a book that can be read whilst watching the football 😬
I am not sure if challenge is the right word, maybe readalong is what I meant. I will try and link the original post here, but if you look up sissireads on Instagram and scroll to a grid post from June 23rd she explained there.

I am not sure if challenge is the right word, maybe readalong is what I meant. I will try and link the original post here, but if you look up sissireads on Instagram and scroll to a grid post from June 23rd she explained there.

It looks interesting but I'm not sure my reading habits are structured enough for this 🤣 Only just clawing back my evenings now the baby has dropped his 12/1am feed so perhaps I can dip in when I can. Thanks for the link.

Just started reading Animal. Can tell it's going to be one of those books that leaves you feeling a bit itchy inside. It weirdly reminds me a bit of My Dark Vanessa too but we shall see where it ends up.

Reactions: 1
Finished this this morning, honestly skimmed through most of it
😬 nothing new, bit pointless really 😕

but a nice filler before I start anything new tonight, now have to make a CHOICE 😩😩

Also on a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone ever look at book reviews on GoodReads before starting a book? I find that at times the negative reviews (of which there seem to be many) really influence how I feel about the book at the start
Like others have said random reviews are too subjective, though I do befriend/follow people with very similar tastes to me and find I agree with most of their ratings and reviews. Of course sometimes our opinions differ but it is usually a good indicator of whether I’ll enjoy a book.

Reactions: 2
My husband (who rolls his eyes at all my to be read books!) sent me a parcel of books today -

Moonflower Murders by Anthony Horowitz
The Whole Truth by Cara Hunter
The Pull of the Stars by Emma Donoghue
The Miseducation of Evie Epworth by Matson Taylor
The Kingdom by Jo Nesbo
Because of You by Dawn French

Has anyone read any of them? Not sure I would have picked any of these, but I will give them a go. Husbands, eh?!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
My husband (who rolls his eyes at all my to be read books!) sent me a parcel of books today -

The Kingdom by Jo Nesbo

Has anyone read any of them? Not sure I would have picked any of these, but I will give them a go. Husbands, eh?!
Moonflowers Murders is a sequel to Magpie Murders which is fantastic btw but you might need to have read that one first. I can't comment on the others but well done your husband! What a lovely surprise to get.

Reactions: 3

The Kingdom by Jo Nesbo

Oooh lucky you! My partner has given up buying me books unless I give him a shortlist 🤣 We don't do Christmas presents but buy each other a book and some chocolates to open in front of the kids.

I have got The Pull of the Stars and haven't really heard of the others so, by default, I would recommend starting with that.

The Kingdom by Jo Nesbo

Moonflower Murders is really good, I loved it.

Moonflowers Murders is a sequel to Magpie Murders which is fantastic btw but you might need to have read that one first. I can't comment on the others but well done your husband! What a lovely surprise to get.
I read them out of order and didn't think it made a difference. I was worried I would find out whodunnit in the first book in the second (I read it first and whilst reading decided I had to read the first) but I didn't so was still able to read the first one relatively spoiler free.

The Kingdom by Jo Nesbo

These are all in my TBR pile! I haven’t actually read any of them yet though 😂

*Warning!! Possible Enabling Post!!* 🤪

I was wondering if anyone had heard of or has subscribed to A Box of Stories? It’s a monthly book subscription box.
I was just interested in any feedback.
Thank you.

I was wondering if anyone had heard of or has subscribed to A Box of Stories? It’s a monthly book subscription box.
Thank you.
Yep! I used to get boxes every month, I stopped a little while ago (in March?) as the quality dipped when they got a lot of new members so it no longer became worth it and my friend who also subscribed also agreed

Thank you.
I was going to and then I realised I already have kindle unlimited so I had word with myself and told myself if I manage to read all the books I already own and all the books on Kindle unlimited then maybe I could treat myself!

I also thought I could just get my husband to randomly select a couple of books for me on Kindle Unlimited if I really wanted to have a surprise and read something that I wouldn't usually choose!

I’ve just finished The Wedding Party by Tammy Cohen. Pretty predictable noir type book but it was a fun read.

Just starting Mrs England now as the entirety of Instagram seem to be reading it.

I’ve just finished The Wedding Party by Tammy Cohen. Pretty predictable noir type book but it was a fun read.

Just starting Mrs England now as the entirety of Instagram seem to be reading it.
read that a few weeks back, this falls into my *chewing gum book* genre but I love them all the same, and I generally really enjoy her books 😂

I’m enjoying listening to when they call you a terrorist!
barack’s book is taking ages because it’s so clunky!

I also thought I could just get my husband to randomly select a couple of books for me on Kindle Unlimited if I really wanted to have a surprise and read something that I wouldn't usually choose!
If this thread is still going in a few months with the same familiar faces we should do this for each other 😂

put all our names in together and we each choose a book for each other,
Like secret Santa if Santa got an Amazon spon. 😬

barack’s book is taking ages because it’s so clunky!
I did start this about 3 times but I knew it was a loosing battle so I never went back 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Has anyone read Matt Haig's new one The Comfort Book? I have mixed thoughts on the author himself; I picked up the book in Waterstones yesterday and it did look quite nice, but nothing special?

Has anyone read Matt Haig's new one The Comfort Book? I have mixed thoughts on the author himself; I picked up the book in Waterstones yesterday and it did look quite nice, but nothing special?
I received my copy this week but it has sat on my desk unread. I hadn’t realised it was little snippets and not more of an actual book like Reasons to Stay Alive and Notes on a Nervous Planet so before I’ve even read it I’m a little disappointed.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.