Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not the commenter but I LOVED it. Really well written and I couldn’t put it down! I paid full price on kindle which I never do too (2 days later it was 99p!)
Was 56 days good? Would you recommend it?
I smashed 56 days out in 2 days. Loved it.

Wasn't as good as the nothing man in my opinion but still a blinder
agree ☺👍 I got it from the library and had it sitting in my loans with no rush to listen to it because the blurb wasn’t pulling me in.

but.....ok I’m going to admit something that will probably make me look like a bit of a loser.
i am 😂

I play a game of Pokemon cat and book mouse on the library app.
i need to catch all the new books when they’re released. 😂 and I have a system 😂 being a full on insomniac I’m usually awake when they update their library so I’m ready with my account and my mother’s account (I think my mother last read a book in 1982, she doesn’t know she has a library card 😐) ready to borrow.
its becoming a bit of an addiction 😐

anyway 56 days 🤣 it was about to expire but your wan Catherine was on tv about two days ago and she seemed nice so I thought I’d give it a go 😂 I’d listened to ireland am, I’d already hit rock bottom...😂😂

I really enjoyed it, well worth a read. id never read anything by her before and I expected her to be the usual *oirish* fiction writer 😆

(I’m still recovering from the fixer by Claudia Carroll 🤦‍♀️)

it’s quite odd reading about what we lived as fiction though, it reads SO much like fiction it’s bizarre it was an actual period of time. Anyone who knows me from the covid thread knows I love a toilet roll so I’m glad they got a shout out.
I usually don’t like books that jump from one person’s narrative to the next but it worked, maybe it’s audio thing, I find it doesn’t bother me when I’m listening over reading.

Not the commenter but I LOVED it. Really well written and I couldn’t put it down! I paid full price on kindle which I never do too (2 days later it was 99p!)
oh no no no, contact them when this happens and say you found a better price elsewhere and they’ll refund, it’s a genuine reason to return on their list! 🤣
amazon make a fortune, no regrets doing this.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I read birdbox earlier this year and I think someone else was waiting for the sequel to reduce in price. Malorie is 99p on the kindle store for anyone interested.

I've just brought Malorie and Killing Adam for a train journey tomorrow at 99p each.
Oooh that was me! Thank you!! I nearly bought it for £4.99 as I was sick of waiting at the weekend, so glad I held off. Off to Amazon now….

Reactions: 2
I both love and hate this thread for introducing me to kindle daily deals and 99p deals on the kindle store 😂 I LOVE the cheap books, but my list of owned-but-unread books is far too long for these shenanigans 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I read In 5 Years and also really enjoyed it. Also not my typical genre but was brill. Just started All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin. Felt I needed a break from dark thrillers.

I both love and hate this thread for introducing me to kindle daily deals and 99p deals on the kindle store 😂 I LOVE the cheap books, but my list of owned-but-unread books is far too long for these shenanigans 😅
Hahaha. I have a load of unread physical books but always reach for my tablet to read on at night. Altho I use the Libby app so at least I'm not paying anything! 😂

Reactions: 5
I play a game of Pokemon cat and book mouse on the library app.
i need to catch all the new books when they’re released. 😂 and I have a system 😂 being a full on insomniac I’m usually awake when they update their library so I’m ready with my account and my mother’s account (I think my mother last read a book in 1982, she doesn’t know she has a library card 😐) ready to borrow.
its becoming a bit of an addiction 😐
Just a standing ovation for your late night library strategies!
👏

I really need to get better at monitoring my library apps.

• Haha
I’m back. *small cheer from one - myself* 😂

I’m over half way through Santa Montefiore’s the distant shores and I’m LOVING it.
Also read Lisa Jewell’s the night she disappeared and listened to queenie and 56 days from Catherine Ryan Howard in the last 3 days.
I have just started 56 Days. So far I love it. I am on 38% on Kindle and am finding it unputdownable also very unique.

Just a standing ovation for your late night library strategies!
👏

I really need to get better at monitoring my library apps.
I just logged in and thought..... tit they’ll think I’m a sad crazy Ooh 😂
I am 😂 but I’m precious about my new releases 😂

I have just started 56 Days. So far I love it. I am on 38% on Kindle and am finding it unputdownable also very unique.
not what I expected at all. Still on the fence when it comes to a covid/pandemic based novels at the moment,
feels a bit raw or something, it also makes me think the book must have been rushed out.
how do others feel about them?

I love that you guys love your library !
I absolutely adore the library and I’m excited to bring the kids again now they’re a bit older to pre pandemic visits. They’ll love it, granted the house is like a kids library because of me.
(3 kids all gifts must include a book by my rules 😂)

read In 5 Years and also really enjoyed it. Also not my typical genre but was brill
I read that last January/February 2020 I think, I really enjoyed it!

Last edited:
Finally been hit with my pre-semester cold, so this weekend has been written off for duvet and reading!

Finished Girl, Woman, Other - very overhyped imo.

Starting The Thursday Murder Club now!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I just logged in and thought..... tit they’ll think I’m a sad crazy Ooh 😂
I am 😂 but I’m precious about my new releases 😂

not what I expected at all. Still on the fence when it comes to a covid/pandemic based novels at the moment,
feels a bit raw or something, it also makes me think the book must have been rushed out.
how do others feel
I liked the setting but can see why others may think it too soon. I think it helped with the narrative. I'm really enjoying it. Its made me think will there be a trend of covid set fiction now?

Reactions: 1
I liked the setting but can see why others may think it too soon. I think it helped with the narrative. I'm really enjoying it. Its made me think will there be a trend of covid set fiction now?
I think the acknowledgements said a lot of authors have said they will never feature lockdown in their books. But maybe the success of 56 days will make them change their mind.

The strangest thing for me was reading something I have experienced firsr hand in a work of fiction. The feeling of going to the supermarket and the shelves being empty etc.

I think the acknowledgements said a lot of authors have said they will never feature lockdown in their books. But maybe the success of 56 days will make them change their mind.

The strangest thing for me was reading something I have experienced firsr hand in a work of fiction. The feeling of going to the supermarket and the shelves being empty etc.
Yes it really brought home how surreal it all was and how we all just functioned and accepted it all.

Reactions: 3
On the topic of books set in 202, Sarah Moss has a book called The Fell coming out in November which I have on my list to pick up. She’s used Covid/lockdowns/quarantines in the plot but it’s not about the pandemic as far as I can tell?

The blurb on Blackwells site:
At dusk on a November evening in 2020 a woman slips out of her garden gate and turns up the hill. Kate is in the middle of a two-week quarantine period, but she just can't take it any more - the closeness of the air in her small house, the confinement. And anyway, the moor will be deserted at this time. Nobody need ever know.

But Kate's neighbour Alice sees her leaving and Matt, Kate's son, soon realizes she's missing. And Kate, who planned only a quick solitary walk - a breath of open air - falls and badly injures herself. What began as a furtive walk has turned into a mountain rescue operation . . .

Unbearably suspenseful, witty and wise, The Fellasks probing questions about the place the world has become since March 2020, and the place it was before. This novel is a story about compassion and kindness and what we must do to survive, and it will move you to tears.

Reactions: 2
Santa Montefiore the distant shores was really reeeeeeeeeely good,
i fully recommend!

now reading Tess Stimson Stolen.

also read the promise of summer by Bella Osborne and I’d say.... don’t waste your time or money. 😐

I’m approximately 70% through Billy Summers. It took me until about 30% to be fully invested but it’s sooo good. I can’t believe I hadn’t read a Stephen King book before. I’m going to have to buy his entire back catalogue now 😬😂
I finished this last night. Really enjoyed it - 4.5* rounded up to 5* on Goodreads.

About to start Local Woman Missing by Mary Kubica.

I know it gets mixed reviews but My Dark Vanessa is 99p on Kindle at the moment if anyone’s interested 😊

Reactions: 3
Ive reccently finished failures of the state. Will be a very good for a reference book to remember what an utter mess bojo and his team made of it!
I’m also on a kindle book buying ban so in the next month I think I’m gonna end of reading some right crap 🤣🤣

now reading Tess Stimson Stolen
really enjoying this, it’s very similar to the book a lot of us read, what she knew, but so far a million times better!!!!

so glad to have got back into reading with 2 books I’ve loved so far.

how do others feel about them?
I agree that some of the pandemic novels I’ve read recently have clearly been rushed out - I’m thinking of Last One at the Party and The End of Men. They both started well but fizzled out for me about half-way through, and I just felt that they really had been pushed out quickly to capitalise on current events. I love a good ‘end of the world‘ novel but I’ll admit I’ve found then hard reading over the past couple of years, at the start of the pandemic I tried re-reading Before This Is Over by Amanda Hickie, which is not a bad novel all (it’s set in Australia and is about a family living through a pandemic) and I just couldn’t. I have a couple of other end of the world novels on my tbr pile - Under the Blue by Oana Aristide, This Fragile Earth by Susannah Wise and Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam - but I’m not really I he mood for them at the moment.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.