Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
nine perfect strangers by lianne moriarty has been made into a TV program now, its on amazon prime, has anyone watched it? i've just put it on but i kind of hated the book so i doubt ill enjoy it

ive started the night she disappeared by lisa jewell, love this author ❤
Just started watching it last night. Looks promising. I haven't read the book...

Just read The Perfect Wife by JP Delaney
It was ok but raised more questions than it answered.

I'm hosting my book club in 2 weeks and have to suggest a book so looking for suggestions...

Really depends which topics you like or want to learn more about but:
Red China Blues by Jan Wong. It's about her experience during the Chinese Cultural Revolution
Dear Leader by Jang Jin-Sung. I really enjoyed this one personally, focused on North Korea and how their propaganda department inside the country runs. Plus, the difficulties he faced when he escaped to China. Fun fact - Kim Jong Il had a Maltese dog, there's a really amusing bit where everyone is terrified to meet him (including the author) and the puppy strides in looking all happy
Without You, There Is No Us by Suki Kim. Also really enjoyed this one, the author taught North Korean elite's children and she was there when Kim Jong-Il died

Quick edit - One Of Them by Musa Okwonga. He attended Eton as a black boy from a fairly working-class family and it's all about that + fitting in back home
Thanks for suggestions...love anything about China, Korea etc. Will post some books I've read later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I wasnt super keen on The Perfect Wife either. It was a bit of a strange read for me but I dont know if it was just the AI stuff that was too much for me. I finished it as I was keen to know the ending and it wasnt terrible. Id probably give it 3 out of 5.

Im reading 'The girls are all so nice here' really enjoying it. About a third of the way through it.

Also listening to a book about Q - Anon by Mike Rothschild. Its just wow 😂

I wasnt super keen on The Perfect Wife either. It was a bit of a strange read for me but I dont know if it was just the AI stuff that was too much for me. I finished it as I was keen to know the ending and it wasnt terrible. Id probably give it 3 out of 5.

Im reading 'The girls are all so nice here' really enjoying it. About a third of the way through it.

Also listening to a book about Q - Anon by Mike Rothschild. Its just wow 😂
I felt the same about "The perfect wife"

Hi all! Schools went back here today so Ive been busy prepping recently and not been doing much reading. Im reading 'the receptionist' atm which I got on Amazon 1st reads. Its not jumping out at me atm but it was free so cant complain.

I started listening to the Trevor Noah autobiography on Audible Born a Crime and omg it is fantastic. The naration is spot on. Its v funny but covers some quite serious stuff.

Anyway I dropped in to ask if anyone has read these? Someone I follow on Insta has really rated them. I think its a 3 part series. The 2nd one is only 2.99 on kindle atm but the 1st 5.99 which is a bit steep for me.

I've very very late to this thread so sorry if this was answered. But in my opinion. You MUST read them
I went into beartown blind hadn't read anything by the author or even heard of the author previously but WOW. He has such a unique writing style and the way he 'layers' up his characters is outstanding.

Benji is my favourite book character ever.

Hi guys. I've been in a reading slump since the end of 2019 when i read something like 150 books over the year and totally burnt myself out. Any recent really good thrillers around?

Reactions: 3
Just recently finished Careless by Kirsty Capes - very, very good. That and Dreamland are probably my two favourite books of this year thus far…

I have finished Confessions on the 7:45 by Lisa Unger. It was good. I managed to get into it quite quickly and didn't expect some of the twists.
I'm on a mission to read more of the kindle books I brought for 99p and keep forgetting about. Next for me will be In 5 years by Rebecca Serle to give me a bit of a change.

Reactions: 2
Anyone got any non popular good recommendations. I’ve read ALOT this year and over the last 2 weeks they’ve all been a bit meh

Anyone got any non popular good recommendations. I’ve read ALOT this year and over the last 2 weeks they’ve all been a bit meh
I’ve just finished reading The Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz and I really enjoyed it. It’s a detective story a bit old style like Agatha Christie but with a modern twist.

I’ve just finished reading The Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz and I really enjoyed it. It’s a detective story a bit old style like Agatha Christie but with a modern twist.
I've read both Magpie Murders and the sequel Moonflower Murders this month. I enjoyed them and you kind of get two books in one. They are very long though!

I hated the familiars thought it was crap. I just read One Moment by Linda Green and really enjoyed it. Now on Mr Loverman by Bernadine Everisto can’t wait to see how it pans out

I couldn’t get into Small Pleasures, something must be wrong with me.
Do you guys ever give up on a book? Do you feel like you are betraying the book? If you do, what is the cutting point? 100 pages?

The familiars was not great! How did it get so much hype?
I swear I ask this question all the time with overhyped books!

I couldn’t get into Small Pleasures, something must be wrong with me.
Do you guys ever give up on a book? Do you feel like you are betraying the book? If you do, what is the cutting point? 100 pages?
Yeah, if it’s truly awful (especially if it’s a library book or on Kindle Unlimited) I’ll put it down after 50 pages. 100 pages if it’s a physical book I bought. I think some here are super impressive and finish books even if they dislike them! But I don’t have the willpower for that!

I just started The Cooking Gene by Michael W. Twitty. I’m already in love by page two of the author’s preface. Good Lord, the man knows how to paint a picture.

Have any of you read any books by Belinda Bauer? My husband and I have our kindles set up so our book downloads appear on both of them, and I started reading Snap because he had bought it. I’ve since read three more, he’s on number five.
Anyway, we both really rate her as a writer, she creates unforgettable characters and a vivid sense of place and really draws you in but I find her books are quite hard to read as the subject matter is very dark and intense and because she is so skilful you are so immersed in the story you really feel it very deeply. I’m having to take a break for my own mental health!
In my job I’ve had a chance to meet lots of authors and she is one I would love to interview.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.