Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Read rivers of london, not too shabby for 99p and you can tell it was a world building foundation book

Reactions: 2
Currently listening to Ruthless Women by Melanie Blake on audible. Kinda in to it but not gripped. I have Covid so finding it hard to concentrate on anything. The voice reading it sounds like the woman who plays Sheila Bloom in Friday night dinner 🤣

Also started reading (the book- not audio) The Therapist by B A Paris which I’ll pick up again when my head is less fuzzy. Quite intrigued so far.

Any book by Khaled Hosseini 🙌🏻
This is in my small book pile next to the bed! Heard so many good things about it.

• Haha
I'm reading Any Old Diamonds by KJ Charles and it is DELIGHTFUL. She writes historical male/male romance and she's so good. I've not read her other books yet but this one feels like I'm wrapped up in a fluffy blanket while I read it, which is exactly what I need just now.

Currently listening to Ruthless Women by Melanie Blake on audible. Kinda in to it but not gripped. I have Covid so finding it hard to concentrate on anything. The voice reading it sounds like the woman who plays Sheila Bloom in Friday night dinner 🤣

Also started reading (the book- not audio) The Therapist by B A Paris which I’ll pick up again when my head is less fuzzy. Quite intrigued so far.

This is in my small book pile next to the bed! Heard so many good things about it.
Not laughing because you have Covid, laughing at the narrator sounding like Sheila Bloom 😂

I read The Therapist not long ago and thought it was alright.

Hope you’re on the mend soon ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Aww thank you xx

And yes, listen to the sample! Really want her to say ‘Mercedes’ a few times 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Just finished The Push and enjoyed it.
Are there any books similar to it that people recommend?

Read rivers of london, not too shabby for 99p and you can tell it was a world building foundation book
So many people recommended this series to me but it just wasnt for me. Im not into fantasy though and I didnt full grasp that it was fantasy when I bought it 😂🙈 I too got it for 99p a few years ago. Its highly regarded though and I can see why people enjoy it.

I’m assuming you’ve probably read We Need To Talk About Kevin but I’ll mention it anyway in case not

Thanks for mentioning this, as I hadn’t heard of it but it is now on my list. Maybe quite niche but I quite like fantasy books based in the likes of London 🤣 the A Darker Shade of Magic series comes to mind

Reactions: 3
I’m assuming you’ve probably read We Need To Talk About Kevin but I’ll mention it anyway in case not

Thanks for mentioning this, as I hadn’t heard of it but it is now on my list. Maybe quite niche but I quite like fantasy books based in the likes of London 🤣 the A Darker Shade of Magic series comes to mind
No I haven't! But want to. I am now reading The Couple Next Door.

Reactions: 4
So many people recommended this series to me but it just wasnt for me. Im not into fantasy though and I didnt full grasp that it was fantasy when I bought it 😂🙈 I too got it for 99p a few years ago. Its highly regarded though and I can see why people enjoy it.
I didn't get it was fantasy either when I got a copy from a charity shop. I thought it would be sort of Dickensian 😂
I read it and it was OK. Don't think I'd bother with another. Something about the whole premise seemed a bit forced.

Have you read Verity by Colleen Hoover? It’s a sort of similar thing.

I finished The Grace Year yesterday. I absolutely loved it, was the first 5* I have given in ages. I couldn’t put it down. Just starting The House in the Cerulean Sea next.

Reactions: 5
Going to start ‘the baby group’ by Caroline Corcoran tomorrow. Anybody read it? I’ve read so much romance lately I need something a bit darker 😅

I’ve got soooo many books to get through I’m just grabbing whichever I see first at the moment! 🤣

• Haha
Any good autobiography/biography recommendations?
They’re quite old, but I can highly recommend Helen Forrester’s four-volume autobiography, which starts with Twopence to Cross the Mersey. They are about her life in 1930s/40s Liverpool, where her family moved after he parents went bankrupt. Although they have been criticised as the forerunner to the ‘misery memoirs’ they are so well-written and moving. I’ve also read a few of her novels and can recommend Yes, Mama if you like historical fiction.

Any good autobiography/biography recommendations?
Any particular areas you are interested in?
I haven't read it but have only heard good things about Lady in Waiting by Lady Anne Glenconner. She was a Lady in Waiting to Princess Margaret, and she had the most ghastly husband (by the sound of it). He established Mustique as the party island of the 60s/70s and the book has lots of anecdotes about it and also Royal life.

More a memoir than autobiography, but I always liked Castaway by Lucy Irwin. She answered an ad to accompany a man to live on a deserted island for a year. Fascinating.

They’re quite old, but I can highly recommend Helen Forrester’s four-volume autobiography, which starts with Twopence to Cross the Mersey. They are about her life in 1930s/40s Liverpool, where her family moved after he parents went bankrupt. Although they have been criticised as the forerunner to the ‘misery memoirs’ they are so well-written and moving. I’ve also read a few of her novels and can recommend Yes, Mama if you like historical fiction.
Thank you so much, I will certainly purchase this. Sounds like something I would love.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.