Books #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
omg sugar!!! i found the series of books they brought out (i can’t remember the name of them now) when tidying during lockdown and reread them all in about a day 🤣 it’s gonna bug me that i can’t remember the titles!

i reread the girls series last year and would strongly recommend giving them a read before her new book. i’m so excited for it, i love jacqueline wilson so much. i saw her in hay-on-wye once and was too scared to go and speak to her because i thought i would cry 🥲

also i have turned a corner in fourth wing and i’m into it. would like to find a xaden in real life possibly. it really comes to life when the dragons show up 🐉
I’ve just ordered the set! If they arrive early enough tomorrow they could really help push my low June total up lol

She did a signing at my local Waterstones December last year and I was definitely embarrassingly staring at her in an ‘ITS ACTUAL JACQUELINE WILSON OMG’ way. The kids in the queue were way cooler than me.

Ah the dragons are great! They have an unexpected but highly welcome amount of personality.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I've just seen Jack Edwards talking about this book, called Fourteen Days - a v interesting concept! Each character is written by a different author, edited by Margaret Atwood.

"Includes writing from: Margaret Atwood, Sylvia Day, Emma Donoghue, Dave Eggers, Diana Gabaldon, Tess Gerritsen, John Grisham, Erica Jong, Celeste Ng, Tommy Orange, Doug Preston, R.L. Stine, Nafissa Thompson-Spires, Meg Wolitzer and many more."

https://www.waterstones.com/book/fo..._medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Preisvergleich
Oh is this Fourteen floors or something ? I have it on my TBR list and I’ve seen it in my library!

I've booked a ticket for JW's book tour for the new Girls book and I can't bloody wait. 🥰
Aah, I’m tempted! Not sure why I haven’t book tbh, maybe assumed I’d be taking a child’s spot forgetting this isn’t for pre-teens lol.
---
I've just seen Jack Edwards talking about this book, called Fourteen Days - a v interesting concept! Each character is written by a different author, edited by Margaret Atwood.

"Includes writing from: Margaret Atwood, Sylvia Day, Emma Donoghue, Dave Eggers, Diana Gabaldon, Tess Gerritsen, John Grisham, Erica Jong, Celeste Ng, Tommy Orange, Doug Preston, R.L. Stine, Nafissa Thompson-Spires, Meg Wolitzer and many more."

https://www.waterstones.com/book/fo..._medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Preisvergleich
I was really disappointed by this, I thought the concept was great but it didn’t deliver for me.

Does anyone else have an extortionate TBR list? I use Goodreads “want to read” shelf to make a note of any books that I see or hear about and want to come back to. I also really really enjoy reading book reviews and recommendations and follow a couple of people who post a lot about books they read… I now have a TBR on GR of 500+ books 🙈🙈🙈

Reactions: 14
Does anyone else have an extortionate TBR list? I use Goodreads “want to read” shelf to make a note of any books that I see or hear about and want to come back to. I also really really enjoy reading book reviews and recommendations and follow a couple of people who post a lot about books they read… I now have a TBR on GR of 500+ books 🙈🙈🙈
Yes, all thanks to this thread, ahaha

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Just finished Just Another Missing Person by Gillian McAllister. The second book of hers I've read, first was That Night a few months ago.

I give both 3.5/5.

I liked the pacing and that they had several twists throughout the story. Realising I might prefer that over one or two big reveals which can be disappointing if they're too silly or obvious, then you've got to force yourself to read the book to the end.

Reactions: 4
Aah, I’m tempted! Not sure why I haven’t book tbh, maybe assumed I’d be taking a child’s spot forgetting this isn’t for pre-teens lol.
---

I was really disappointed by this, I thought the concept was great but it didn’t deliver for me.
Ahh this is disappointing as it's a good idea!

I'm currently reading You Belong With Me by Mhairi McFarlane, the sequel to Mad About You. So far it's fine but not captured me like her others have, but enjoying it enough to keep going so hopefully it picks up!

Then next I have Just for the Summer by Abby Jiminez. Loved the first two in the series (I don't know if it's officially a series as think you can read them as stand alones but some characters are the same).

Reactions: 1
Just finished Just Another Missing Person by Gillian McAllister. The second book of hers I've read, first was That Night a few months ago.

I give both 3.5/5.

I liked the pacing and that they had several twists throughout the story. Realising I might prefer that over one or two big reveals which can be disappointing if they're too silly or obvious, then you've got to force yourself to read the book to the end.
I read Wrong Place, Wrong Time by the same
Author last year and really enjoyed it

same 💙 i was more of a twins at st clare’s girl but i thought daryl was just the coolest person ever. i was devastated to get to comprehensive school and find that we didn’t have a lacrosse team for me to join 🤣
I loved both those series and the famous five, but I adored Noel Streatfeilds books and books about horse riding girls! I loved all the old stories What Katy Did, Little Women, and I still have most of them! I always kept them, thought my kids might want to read them but they just don't!
---
I’ve just ordered the set! If they arrive early enough tomorrow they could really help push my low June total up lol

She did a signing at my local Waterstones December last year and I was definitely embarrassingly staring at her in an ‘ITS ACTUAL JACQUELINE WILSON OMG’ way. The kids in the queue were way cooler than me.

Ah the dragons are great! They have an unexpected but highly welcome amount of personality.
She came to one of our local theatres a few years back, maybe 10 years, and we went, she talked for ages, her whole life story and the stories behind her books, then did a book signing and meet and greet. She's a fabulous lady.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I've been listening to Good Girl, Bad Blood (the sequel to A Good Girls Guide to Murder) recently and for once I'm really enjoying an audiobook! It's odd, because it definitely feels like a book that doesn't seem particularly suited to audio format, with the little case file bits and 'evidence' at the end of chapters, but it's a good story.

Reactions: 1
Oh doesn’t Jacqueline Wilson just seem like the loveliest person? She has such a young and kind face 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I've been listening to Good Girl, Bad Blood (the sequel to A Good Girls Guide to Murder) recently and for once I'm really enjoying an audiobook! It's odd, because it definitely feels like a book that doesn't seem particularly suited to audio format, with the little case file bits and 'evidence' at the end of chapters, but it's a good story.
I really enjoyed the series (book #3 got a bit unhinged though 😅 ). It's becoming a TV series but not sure when it's being released.

Reactions: 3

I give both 3.5/5.

I read those two Gillian McAllister books too and really really recommend "Wrong Place Wrong Time" by her - that's my favourite of hers that I've read

Another Jacqueline wilson fan here. I truly believe her books got me into reading. Can't wait for the girls sequel with the characters being older.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
june reads! a very meh month ngl:

godkiller - hannah kaner ⭐⭐⭐⭐
rootbound - tarah dewitt ⭐⭐
the person who edited rootbound - 👎🏻
babel - r f kuang ⭐⭐⭐
the rachel incident - caroline o’donoghue ⭐⭐⭐⭐
one night in hartswood - emma denny ⭐⭐
neon roses - rachel dawson ⭐⭐⭐
the ministry of time - kaliane bradley ⭐⭐
this summer will be different - carley fortune ⭐⭐⭐
an array of excellent 911 fanfiction ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

(went back and forth on ministry of time as i originally gave it three stars but the more i thought about it afterwards the more i realised how much i’d disliked it so i had to drop it down one)

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.