Books #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
June round up. I’m still going with Witness 8 but at the moment it’s looking like a 4 star for me. A lot of them were 4 stars this month but I particularly enjoyed The Most Fun 🥰

B9C94294-6F84-4BC0-8DC4-55B707274B29.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 19
8 for mw this month, but if I finish the one I'm reading today it may be 9.

Favourite and only 5 stars was The 100 Years of Lenni and Margot, most were 4 stars. I really enjoyed Thea and Denise, I think based off the script of Thelma and Louise but was a good read.

1 DNF - The Most Fun We Ever Had

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 13
1000029982.png
Bit of a slow month and no amazing reads.
The Nanny was an easy, quick read, same with new Housemaid.
My aim for this year was to read 50 books. Halfway though the year and I'm on 31 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 16
This was obviously a month for loving Lucinda Riley books hence the binge 🤭
Massive mention for the Librarians of Rue De Picardie. Plus I know I really enjoyed the fantasy romance Irregular Witches book, House in the Cerulean Sea and Once Upon A River so I must be into fantasy. Who knew 🤷‍♀️.....and I found the Katie Fforde book intriguing.
So a very good reading month!!! 😁
Screenshot_20240630-104526.png
Screenshot_20240630-104544.png

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Here are the books that I read for my June Murder Mystery month. I would have read more but unfortunately I had COVID and didn't feel like reading anything.
1719743598785.png
1719743616232.png
1719743641005.png

Death By a Cornish Cove 9/10
The Missing Sapphire of Zangrabar 5/10
A Royal Murder 7/10

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I had a good reading month because I was sick for a lot of it, so nothing to do but tackle my TBR! My favourite was The Fifth Season, though I also really enjoyed Lady Eve's Last Con and Trouble (which does have a lot of modern dialogue and perspectives, but I'd already made my peace with that when reading Reputation).

Least favourite was One Night in Hartswood, and also did not really enjoy the romantic interest in Old Flames and New Fortunes.

Screenshot_20240630_101616_StoryGraph.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I had a very thriller/mystery focused month. The only duffer was “The Other Guest” nothing really happened and the mystery element was boring. “Home is where the bodies are” wasn’t anything special either and was predictable but it was still an easy and enjoyable read.

The Queen of Poisons, Big Little Lies and The Woman Who Lied were all at least a 4.5, would recommend all three.

Best of the month has to be The Appeal, in fact I think it’s my book of the year so far, I just loved the unique format and concept- big thanks to whoever it was that recommended it to me on here a few months ago!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I had a very thriller/mystery focused month. The only duffer was “The Other Guest” nothing really happened and the mystery element was boring. “Home is where the bodies are” wasn’t anything special either and was predictable but it was still an easy and enjoyable read.

The Queen of Poisons, Big Little Lies and The Woman Who Lied were all at least a 4.5, would recommend all three.

Best of the month has to be The Appeal, in fact I think it’s my book of the year so far, I just loved the unique format and concept- big thanks to whoever it was that recommended it to me on here a few months ago!
If you liked The Appeal you should also read The Christmas Appeal that was also a good read.

Reactions: 2
Five books completed in June here, but alongside those I’ve also finally followed through on my threats to give Les Miserables
another go and am actually quite enjoying it this time! (I know @LaBlonde will approve!) It does feel slow going in places even when skimming parts, so planning to read in sections and take breaks to mix it up with something lighter which means this one is probably going to be with me for a while. I’m determined to finish it this time though!

Either side of Les Mis I finished -

Midnights Children by Salaman Rushdie - left over from May and had to fight to finish. Felt overly long and wordy, the sort of book people rave about to sound intellectual when really it’s just a bit rubbish!

One True Loves by TJR - needed something light after Midnights Children. Not one of my fave TJR books, fairly predictable but not a bad read.

The List by Yomi Adegoke - like many people here this one fell a bit flat for me. Good premise not executed very well. Meh!

Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt - Love love loved this! And probably wouldn’t have picked it up if it hadn’t been for recommendations here so thanks book friends! Beautiful book, one that will stay with me.

The Body In The Library by Agatha Christie - good fast read, standard Christie!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Five books completed in June here, but alongside those I’ve also finally followed through on my threats to give Les Miserable another go and am actually quite enjoying it this time! (I know @LaBlonde will approve!) It does feel slow going in places even when skimming parts, so planning to read in sections and take breaks to mix it up with something lighter which means this one is probably going to be with me for a while! I’m determined to finish it this time though!

Either side of Les Mis I finished -

Midnights Children by Salaman Rushdie - left over from May and had to fight to finish. Felt overly long and wordy, the sort of book people rave about to sound intellectual when really it’s just a bit rubbish!

One True Loves by TJR - needed something light after Midnights Children. Not one of my fave TJR books, fairly predictable but not a bad read.

The List by Yomi Adegoke - like many people here this one fell a bit flat for me. Good premise not executed very well. Meh!

Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt - Love love loved this! And probably wouldn’t have picked it up if it hadn’t been for recommendations here so thanks book friends! Beautiful book, one that will stay with me.

The Body In The Library by Agatha Christie - good fast read, standard Christie!
I can't wait for Remarkably Bright Creatures - I'm 4th in the queue at the library for it!
I've heard so much about it on here 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Five books completed in June here, but alongside those I’ve also finally followed through on my threats to give Les Miserable another go and am actually quite enjoying it this time! (I know @LaBlonde will approve!) It does feel slow going in places even when skimming parts, so planning to read in sections and take breaks to mix it up with something lighter which means this one is probably going to be with me for a while! I’m determined to finish it this time though!
aaahhhh i do approve!!! so glad you’re enjoying it, it’s such a wonderful book and (imo) worth the hard work it sometimes is to read it. one of my all time favourites (i cry at the end every time). reading it in sections and taking breaks is a good idea 💙

• Heart
Reactions: 5
1000029574.png

1000029575.png

A Court of Mist and Fury ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ I still have a few chapters left but expect to finish it today , and I am loving it.

Death of a Witch ⭐⭐⭐⭐ A Hamish Macbeth mystery, quite enjoyable, was audio version with great scottish accent. A good listen whilst gardening.

The Windsor Knot ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Enjoyable, QE2 investigates a murder on the sly. Typical cosy crime, with royal references that made it feel familiar and fun.

The Last Bus to Woodstock (Inspector Morse) ⭐⭐⭐⭐. I really enjoyed this the audio narrator made it sound like I was right there with the characters.

My Husband ⭐⭐ + 1/2 gave it 3 ⭐ on Goodreads but really i think it should be 2.5. was a stream of consciousness with no redeeming character lessons etc. Was quite depressing 😂

Agatha Raisin and The Witches Tree ⭐⭐⭐ okay to listen to whilst doing chores.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
aaahhhh i do approve!!! so glad you’re enjoying it, it’s such a wonderful book and (imo) worth the hard work it sometimes is to read it. one of my all time favourites (i cry at the end every time). reading it in sections and taking breaks is a good idea 💙
I’m one of those people who’s seen the musical more times than I can count, so I’m glad I’ve got through the Bishop’s chapters this time and in to characters and plot lines that feel familiar. Aware there’s more social/political commentary stuff to come but happy to ride those waves!

• Heart
I’m one of those people who’s seen the musical more times than I can count, so I’m glad I’ve got through the Bishop’s chapters this time and in to characters and plot lines that feel familiar. Aware there’s more social/political commentary stuff to come but happy to ride those waves!
the bishop is tough! i first read it after becoming obsessed with the musical and waiting for valjean to show up was a rough time and i nearly gave up 🤣

it, imo, really comes to life (like the show does) when the students appear, but it’s so lovely overall to just get more backstory on all the characters even if it is much darker (eponine in particular).

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I had a good reading month because I was sick for a lot of it, so nothing to do but tackle my TBR! My favourite was The Fifth Season, though I also really enjoyed Lady Eve's Last Con and Trouble (which does have a lot of modern dialogue and perspectives, but I'd already made my peace with that when reading Reputation).

Least favourite was One Night in Hartswood, and also did not really enjoy the romantic interest in Old Flames and New Fortunes.

View attachment 3025648
How was Signal Moon? I love Kate Quinn but haven't heard of that one before! I have her newest one The Briar Club on reserve at the library, looking forward to reading that when it is released. :giggle:

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.