Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

emmer_moans

VIP Member
1000028862.png

1000028861.png

1000028860.png

I had a slow start but picked up later in the month thanks to some of them being Audiobooks.

I gave Pullman's Grimm Tales 5 stars but really because I listened to the audiobook and the narrator was brilliant. Based on the stories themselves probably 2 star lol. This time the narrator provided the enjoyable experience.

I loved Moonflower Murders and hope Horowitz hurries up with the third novel soon.

The Murder After The Night Before was great.

As was The End of Men.

The Agatha's were admittedly quick wins via audio, I have a goal to listen/read her entire works but I am finding a lot of the stories are 3 star and then she has some 5 stars. But she's starting to average 3 stars for me now.

And I have finally read Wuthering Heights. I know it's a classic that a lot of people love, but I found it confusing with the names 😂😱

Heathcliff, then his son Linton Heathcliff, then someone called Edgar Linton, plus then Catherine and Cathy and multiple surname changes and cousin marriages... Won't be reading it again, I am one and done, despite usually liking a Classic every now and then...

Reactions: 14

Carapop

VIP Member
So I’ve had quite a good month, all Netgalley reads, mostly average. Two stand outs
Still reading Bookshop but reckon I’ll finish today.
IMG_1720.jpeg
IMG_1723.jpeg
IMG_1722.jpeg
IMG_1721.jpeg

IMG_1725.jpeg

• Heart

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
Bless me Lord for I have sinned, falling into a bookshop and leaving with 4 books, despite having at least 13 unread purchases and a stack of library books still unread......
But, but, it was an author I really enjoy! - then I had to buy more! to meet the "special offer". What's a girl to do!🤷‍♀️
I can feel you rolling your eyes as I've done it before , but this is me being restrained FGS! I mean I've read nearly 80 books this year so far - nearly all through the library. Think of the money saved!!! Ok, ok, that's not the point.
No, I'm not answering back again. Ok, ok, I'll go do 25 Hail Mary's and try to be a better person in future!🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

as if!!! 😏🤭

• Haha
  • Heart

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
Something mega happened to day - I've only just realised!
I was was walking past the shops and I glanced into The Works but didn't go in!
I must be sickening for something - where's that thermometer?🤒🌡

• Haha

slugella

VIP Member
I have been hiding as I've been in the mother of all reading slumps. June is going to be my month 📚

• Heart

Hannahebee

VIP Member
Here are the books that I read for my June Murder Mystery month. I would have read more but unfortunately I had COVID and didn't feel like reading anything.
1719743598785.png
1719743616232.png
1719743641005.png

Death By a Cornish Cove 9/10
The Missing Sapphire of Zangrabar 5/10
A Royal Murder 7/10

• Heart

123lee

Just parking myself in the new thread. I’m off on holiday on Sunday for a week and obviously biggest dilemma is which books to take. I’m taking my kindle anyway but I need a back up paper book just incase. Husband thinks I’m nuts for thinking more about books than clothes 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 13

cill2019

VIP Member
WHAT DID YOU GET?! 👏🏻👏🏻
So I got
Done & Dusted
Love at First Knight
The Summer I Saved You
The Summer We Fell
The Summer You Found Me
Someone Else’s Shoes
A Court of Mist and Fury

and I can’t remember the last one 🤣 It’s a Claire Douglas, it’s hidden in the car until I can sneak them in tomorrow 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
I feel like such an amateur reader and thought I was a real book worm 😂🙈 I’m reading my 16th book of the year (Blue Sisters). Enjoying it now I’m halfway through but felt a slow start. I do have a 5 month old though so she’s a distraction from my reading

• Heart

CommentBelow

I haven’t read any Freida McFadden BUT I noticed three people reading the latest one by pool today. It’s not even that big a pool area! Hopefully they spotted each other reading it and created a holiday book club 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reading took a bit of a back seat the last week…. Found out my Dad has cancer 💔 honestly couldn’t concentrate on anything at all. But speaking to them both today it’s sounding positive and I’ve managed to sit for a bit and read.
Started Flawless and I am loving it, don’t know why I kept putting it off and still working through my other love Harry Potter on audio ❤❤
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Sending love x

• Heart

Eureka

VIP Member
A slow month for me.

Braywatch by Ross O'Carroll Kelly 4*
The Maid by Nita Prose 3*
What Really Happens in Vegas by James Patterson 3*
Home Stretch by Graham Norton 4.5*

Home Stretch definitely the stand out book of the month.
---
I see @ClaraPlum has mentioned the Tatooist of Auschwitz and its on my list

Im visiting there later this year so would be interested if anyone could recommend any other relevant reads?
Man's Search for Meaning. It's a really short book by Victor Frankl who was a prisoner there. Its very vivid, shockingly so at times, and quite raw. It brought the living experience of daily life there alive in a way I have never felt before.

• Heart

ClaraPlum

Books read in May

The Tatooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris - a harrowing read, I think you really need to be in the right frame of mind to read this but it was one of the most touching stories I’ve ever read

Her Majesty’s Royal Coven by Juno Dawson - this is a brilliant book and you will love it if you’re into witches and queer fiction. It was exciting, fast paced and had a lot of unexpected twists. It also had a great diverse cast of characters. I’d probably skip it though if you’re gender critical.

The Shadow Cabinet by Juno Dawson - Sequel to the above and just as strong story wise. It offers the villain’s point of view, explaining why they are the way they are and what motivates them to behave like that, which I really liked. Some of the younger characters are annoying in this book compared to the first one, but otherwise it’s still a good read and I love the cliff hanger it ended on.

Anna: The Biography by Amy Odell - a decent biography (I’m going to be honest I’m not massively into biographies but I’m trying to widen my horizons) about the life of Anna Wintour. It offers a balanced perspective of her personality and whilst it doesn’t excuse her faults it excellent at explaining the reason why she is the way she is and delves beyond the ‘nuclear Wintour image’ people have of her.
---
June reading list:

Im going on holiday on Friday so im planning on taking a few books with me including:

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell
My Body by Emily Ratajkowski
The List by Yomi Adegoke

I’m also endeavouring to read The Trial by Rob Rinder and Undoctoted by Adam Kay.

Last edited:

LaBlonde

VIP Member
I loved Yellowface and at times I found myself rooting for June which was interesting because her character is definitely satirical and meant to be problematic.

Kuang was quite clever to make her the underdog and make Athena unlikeable (through June's words) so you almost have to force yourself to not justify June's actions even though you know she's in the wrong.
this is why i think it’s an incredible book club choice because you can read it so many ways!

imo, june wasn’t the underdog but thought that she was. she justifies her own actions by saying well don’t i deserve this too, why should athena get all the success, haven’t i worked hard for it?!? we’re then continually shown that she’s out of her depth (especially with the cringeworthy stuff when she goes to that panel and i almost had to stop reading 🤣) her interactions with athena’s mother, and how she continually lessens athena through the changes she makes to her book (removing some of the more overtly “difficult” plot points to make it more palatable to a western audience) make her unlikeable to me.

the part where she imagines casting the movie of their lives and she’s florence pugh (i think?) and athena can just be “that actress from crazy rich asians” has always stuck with me for both her casual racism (the asian actress doesn’t even get a name!) and how she sees athena after diluting the message of a book that was important to her.

i liked it a LOT but i do think (as said above) that she messed up the ending.

AllieBee

VIP Member
8 for mw this month, but if I finish the one I'm reading today it may be 9.

Favourite and only 5 stars was The 100 Years of Lenni and Margot, most were 4 stars. I really enjoyed Thea and Denise, I think based off the script of Thelma and Louise but was a good read.

1 DNF - The Most Fun We Ever Had

Attachments

• Heart

inksmear

I recently read Matthew Perry's book Friends, Lovers and the Big Terrible Thing. Absolutely shocked that his people and/or friends allowed this book to be published and see the light of day.
He is an absolute knob. According to him, he is the funniest person in the world and nobody else knows comedy like him and his mates. He is a perpetual victim and a narcissist. Also near the end of the book he was basically shilling for a wife but very specific criteria like he's some sort of prize.
After reading the book I'm surprised that there were people who liked him and were willing to date him
I read this book when it came out and I have so many mixed feelings about it. I actually LOVED it for this reason.

He comes across as completely narcissistic and awful in a lot of it. I didn’t really think the Keanu Reeves thing was that bad though (honestly just thought it was an awful joke that landed a bit ‘awkwardly’ if you know what I mean?) but there was a lot of fuss about it at the time of publishing, and I think it was even removed from later editions? I agree with pp, he almost seemed jealous of Chandler which was very strange. I felt very sorry for how fucked up he seemed. He literally had the world at his feet and it went so badly wrong. His Instagram captions are very eerie reading back. They are obviously the ramblings of some one struggling with addiction in a big way.

My main takeaway from the book was that MP was clearly a PHENOMENAL actor because Chandler was lovely, and MP was an arse. The double episode of friends where Monica and Chandler get engaged is probably my favourite thing I’ve ever watched on tv, EVER.

I loved the honesty of the memoir and I am actually really glad it was written, even though he came across as so unlikeable. I wish MP had found peace in this lifetime. ❤

• Heart