Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

emmer_moans

VIP Member
My Harper Collins tiktok shop order arrived

Got:

How to Kill Men and Get Away With It
Babel
Butter
How to Kill a Guy in Ten Ways

(I swear, I'm not preparing to be a man killer)

Just started reading It Ends At Midnight by Harriet Tyce
I am currently reading The End of Men and have just ordered How to Kill Men and Get Away With It... I've told my husband about the first book which is essentially like a Covid plot that wipes out 90% men and doesn't affect women, now I know he's going to be slightly perturbed when he sees the second book arrive tomorrow. I promise I'm not plotting 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 16

StrawberryBanana90

Chatty Member
Finally got around to reading A Man Called Ove and my heart 😭 I had watched the film first but god the book is even more heartbreaking 💔 Backman can never do wrong in my eyes

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Blueblue123

VIP Member
Just finished listening to I Who Have Never Known Men! Really enjoyed it, it was so unsatisfying and bleak which is the point!

You read it thinking there will be answers or a big reveal and there never is and it's quite depressing how relatable it is. Living life seeking certain experiences or knowledge but a lot of the time, life is just mundane and full of questions.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
I have had a bit of a traumatic month - hence the number of books read.#tryingtoescape
I've already posted about The Mistress of Paris and the Chums books but other standouts were the Lucinda Riley - I'm now moving onto the second book in the series Definitely a fan.
The Santa Montefiore's were good especially the Here and Now with it's dementia theme. Amazing!
I just need Santa to write a book about autism, as I've been thrown into the deep end with this subject this month, and am floundering as to how to cope.
(Trying to support someone and not sob as they unrolled their life to the experts).
How do you control your emotions so you can support them??? I don't know I'm at a loss 🤷😭
Screenshot_20240531-140832.png
Screenshot_20240531-140848.png

• Heart

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
This little excerpt from a book I'm reading makes me feel much better about not loving Beartown or The Most Fun We Ever Had, when Most of you guys adored it!
I think that quote sums up this thread perfectly. We’ve all got such different tastes and although there may be the odd book that draws more people together, there is never one that gets a unanimous reaction. We’re such a lovely little bunch that no one should ever feel bad for not liking something that others love, or should be embarrassed to say “I loved it!” when it’s being torn apart by others. Books are unique to the person reading them and I think we get that and fully appreciate it ❤

• Heart

Lola UK

VIP Member
I cleaned and tidied the house listening to Weyward, now I’m sitting down with a Prosecco to read Fourth Wing (with an Indian arriving later) 😝🥂

Really enjoying both books!

• Heart

Hannahebee

VIP Member
How is it possible shes banging out these books so quickly?!?
It reminds me of the author Danielle Steel who constantly bangs out books for the sake of it; for example in 2016 she released 6 books, in 2017 she released 7 books, in 2021 she released 7 books and this year she is also releasing 7 books and already has 3 down for next year.

• Wow

LaBlonde

VIP Member
I'm trying to make headway with Yellowface, I think it's quite hard to properly get into, even though I think the author is a decent writer! Anyway, omg I cannot stand June! Lots of things she says (writes?) make me physically cringe.
june is awful but she’s such a brilliant creation - her deeply internalised racism (and how that kept revealing itself while she was trying to convince herself she was a good person) was so cleverly done.

i liked yellowface a lot but it did (for me) start falling apart in the final third.
---
Maybe she'll miraculously redeem herself in the next book but doubt it 🤣
if she continues being awful to lucien then i will not be responsible for my actions 🤣 she doesn’t deserve him OR azriel they should be with me

• Haha

LaBlonde

VIP Member
Hi bookworms. My reading is very slow this month and not sure why, feeling more like a book snail 🐌 than a bookworm 😂 I have a free Sunday so hoping to get loads of reading done then
but that little 🐌 is so adorable! the ministry of time has put me into something of a book slump so i’m struggling through the end of this month too, we’ll make it 💙

(i did hit 50 books in my 2024 reading challenge though! 🥳 i set 70 as my target but i might need to up it)

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Blueblue123

VIP Member
I loved Yellowface and at times I found myself rooting for June which was interesting because her character is definitely satirical and meant to be problematic.

Kuang was quite clever to make her the underdog and make Athena unlikeable (through June's words) so you almost have to force yourself to not justify June's actions even though you know she's in the wrong.

MindyLahiri

VIP Member
Hi everyone, only just found this thread and hoping to join in the excellent discussion! I'm pleased to say I've just finished up book #35 of the year for me, "I Hope This Finds You Well" by Natalie Sue

I give it 3.5/5

Enjoyed the storyline, the dialogue was witty and clever with a bit of humour and the characters had depth - it loses points for being a little predictable towards the end and having the fatal rushed "tying up loose ends" final few chapters

Looking for recs for what to read next!

Does anyone else have an extortionate TBR list? I use Goodreads “want to read” shelf to make a note of any books that I see or hear about and want to come back to. I also really really enjoy reading book reviews and recommendations and follow a couple of people who post a lot about books they read… I now have a TBR on GR of 500+ books 🙈🙈🙈

Niknak

I'm 60 pages into The Other Name by Jon Fosse, the first volume of his Septology books. So far, the characters mentioned are:

Asle - a middle-aged artist, tee-total

Asle - not a typo, but a second Asle. Also a middle-aged artist, looks just like the first Asle, but an alcoholic

Ales - tee-total Asle's deceased wife

Åsleik - tee-total Asle's neighbour

Alida - tee-total Asle's sister

Alise - the deceased wife's aunt

My head is absolutely battered working out who is being talked about 😵💫😂

• Haha
  • Wow

daisynoon

Chatty Member
I had a good reading month because I was sick for a lot of it, so nothing to do but tackle my TBR! My favourite was The Fifth Season, though I also really enjoyed Lady Eve's Last Con and Trouble (which does have a lot of modern dialogue and perspectives, but I'd already made my peace with that when reading Reputation).

Least favourite was One Night in Hartswood, and also did not really enjoy the romantic interest in Old Flames and New Fortunes.

Screenshot_20240630_101616_StoryGraph.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow

emmer_moans

VIP Member
1000028862.png

1000028861.png

1000028860.png

I had a slow start but picked up later in the month thanks to some of them being Audiobooks.

I gave Pullman's Grimm Tales 5 stars but really because I listened to the audiobook and the narrator was brilliant. Based on the stories themselves probably 2 star lol. This time the narrator provided the enjoyable experience.

I loved Moonflower Murders and hope Horowitz hurries up with the third novel soon.

The Murder After The Night Before was great.

As was The End of Men.

The Agatha's were admittedly quick wins via audio, I have a goal to listen/read her entire works but I am finding a lot of the stories are 3 star and then she has some 5 stars. But she's starting to average 3 stars for me now.

And I have finally read Wuthering Heights. I know it's a classic that a lot of people love, but I found it confusing with the names 😂😱

Heathcliff, then his son Linton Heathcliff, then someone called Edgar Linton, plus then Catherine and Cathy and multiple surname changes and cousin marriages... Won't be reading it again, I am one and done, despite usually liking a Classic every now and then...