Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone else reading Piglet by Lottie hazel? I stumbled across it but really enjoying it. Probably one to avoid if you are recovering from an ED although so far it’s not explicitly about that it does involve a lot of food and talk of eating (some disordered).
I’m making it sound rubbish but I’m really enjoying the class element. Also what I loved about pineapple street. Class traitor/ class gosh out of water themes might be my new niche so if anyone has any recommendations in that area I’d be keen to hear them.

Not ignoring the recommendations from previous posts, just waiting for them to arrive at library.
I have this on my TBR. I had it on my wish list for ages before it was released and then snapped it up when it was on a 99p deal.

I also have looked at Pineapple Street so many times 😂

Reactions: 4
Anyone read any books by John O'Farrell? I've just finished Family Politics and think he writes brilliantly, he is a satirical genius. I just love his sense of humour, subtle, sardonic, dry and for me, laugh out loud funny. I remember a few years back reading one of his called May Contain Nuts, a send up of pushy posh mums desperate to get their 11 year olds into the right school, and was reading it and laughed out loud so loud. Trouble is I was on the train at the time, looked up and everyone was staring at me which made me giggle more.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Anyone read any books by John O'Farrell? I've just finished Family Politics and think he writes brilliantly, he is a satirical genius. I just love his sense of humour, subtle, sardonic, dry and for me, laugh out loud funny. I remember a few years back reading one of his called May Contain Nuts, a send up of pushy posh mums desperate to get their 11 year olds into the right school, and was reading it and laughed out loud so loud. Trouble is I was on the train at the time, looked up and everyone was staring at me which made me giggle more.
No but you’ve made me want to! Will add a couple of his to my wish list 😊

Reactions: 1
I've just been offered Audible for 99p for 3 months, but I'm scared of how to cancel it at the end.
I'm not used to this kind of technology.
Do I have to write to them to cancel?

• Wow
Reactions: 2
I've just been offered Audible for 99p for 3 months, but I'm scared of how to cancel it at the end.
You can cancel in the app or on the website:

Screenshot_20240415_100635.jpg

I usually set myself a calendar reminder so I cancel near the end. If you don't use your credits on an audiobook before the end of your membership, you lose the credits, but I like to save credits for as long as possible because they have monthly sales.

The biggest problem with cancelling is that they usually offer you a deal to keep your membership going.

Reactions: 3
You can cancel in the app or on the website:

View attachment 2876296
I usually set myself a calendar reminder so I cancel near the end. If you don't use your credits on an audiobook before the end of your membership, you lose the credits, but I like to save credits for as long as possible because they have monthly sales.

The biggest problem with cancelling is that they usually offer you a deal to keep your membership going.
Thanks for your reply.

This credits thing. Does that mean you get to keep the audiobook?
And is the app better than the website?

Thanks for your reply.

This credits thing. Does that mean you get to keep the audiobook?
And is the app better than the website?
The app is better because you can listen to audiobooks on the go. You can keep any book you purchase with a credit, though whilst you're a member, you also get access to a selection of books for the duration of your membership.

So 99p for 3 months will give you 3 credits over that period.

1 credit = 1 book. If you use a credit for a book its yours to keep.

Advantages of having a membership, you have access to the plus category, so these are books / podcasts you can listen to for free, however if you cancel your membership youd not have access to them anymore. An active membership also gets you access to the deal of the day, the £2.99 sales and the 2 for 1 sales. To take full advantage of an audible membership use your credits in these or buy the 2.99 books.

The app is handy to have as you can listen on that.

I have over 120 books in my audible library and Ive not paid full price for the majority of them. I cancel reguarly and subscribe again when they email offering half price for 3 months etc.

Reactions: 5
The app is better because you can listen to audiobooks on the go. You can keep any book you purchase with a credit, though whilst you're a member, you also get access to a selection of books for the duration of your membership.
Thanks,
That sounds good, being able to listen when out and about.
I didn't realise I had that with Borrowbox until I was stuck waiting for an appointment in a car park, when I arrived an hour early recently.

It's easy to cancel in the app. I've never used audible but did have KU, when I cancelled it, they gave me a deal for a couple of months then when I cancelled again that was it. And I've not yet been able to restart KU on any of the 3 months free offers I've seen!

So 99p for 3 months will give you 3 credits over that period.

1 credit = 1 book. If you use a credit for a book its yours to keep.

Advantages of having a membership, you have access to the plus category, so these are books / podcasts you can listen to for free, however if you cancel your membership youd not have access to them anymore. An active membership also gets you access to the deal of the day, the £2.99 sales and the 2 for 1 sales. To take full advantage of an audible membership use your credits in these or buy the 2.99 books.

The app is handy to have as you can listen on that.

I have over 120 books in my audible library and Ive not paid full price for the majority of them. I cancel reguarly and subscribe again when they email offering half price for 3 months etc.
This is all new to me, I'm enjoying Borrowbox, but am limited by what they have.
Reading your comments about Audible, and the excitement about books you've finally managed to get, has given me FOMO!
I'll finish up my Borrowbox ones and my recent Heyer binge and then join Audible before the offer end date.

This is all new to me, I'm enjoying Borrowbox, but am limited by what they have.
Reading your comments about Audible, and the excitement about books you've finally managed to get, has given me FOMO!
I'll finish up my Borrowbox ones and my recent Heyer binge and then join Audible before the offer end date.
It really depends how many audio books youre likely to listen to. I have spotify (15 hours per month) audible (when on offer and my back catalogue) and then use borrowbox for audio books too. I cycle through them all 😂

It really depends how many audio books youre likely to listen to. I have spotify (15 hours per month) audible (when on offer and my back catalogue) and then use borrowbox for audio books too. I cycle through them all 😂
If I'm being honest I do struggle listening to audio as my mind will drift off. Something in the audio will trigger a memory - oh no, I forgot to post a birthday card! etc etc. 😁
So I started listening to books I'd already read so I didn't lose my thread. I enjoyed that.
When someone on this forum mentioned about a timer on Borrowbox I used it to help me get to sleep, (i.e. shut my mind up!).
I think the only thing that has worked to help me have a zen mind is watching Lost Forest's videos. Thank you, thank you, thank you 🙏 to the person who recommended it.
So nice to have silence in my head from something other than a book. 😁
I'm just learning how to gift myself time to read a book, watch a video etc without being classed as lazy. So, yes audio is a bit of a struggle at the moment, but something to overcome in simplifying my life and putting me first.
Sorry for the waffle 😁🙄😏🤭

• Heart
If I'm being honest I do struggle listening to audio as my mind will drift off. Something in the audio will trigger a memory - oh no, I forgot to post a birthday card! etc etc. 😁
So I started listening to books I'd already read so I didn't lose my thread. I enjoyed that.
When someone on this forum mentioned about a timer on Borrowbox I used it to help me get to sleep, (i.e. shut my mind up!).
I think the only thing that has worked to help me have a zen mind is watching Lost Forest's videos. Thank you, thank you, thank you 🙏 to the person who recommended it.
So nice to have silence in my head from something other than a book. 😁
I'm just learning how to gift myself time to read a book, watch a video etc without being classed as lazy. So, yes audio is a bit of a struggle at the moment, but something to overcome in simplifying my life and putting me first.
Sorry for the waffle 😁🙄😏🤭
I get it. I struggle to take down time because Im never done. I always have house stuff to do, kids stuff to do, paid work to do. I feel guilty if I sit down to read or watch tv when there is still things 'to do'

However my therapist has introduced me to the concept of taking that time. That it will benefit me and it actually does. There are always things to do. No matter what.

Ive spoken before about how I use timers for reading but I actually use timers for a lot of things. Im chronically overwhelmed and really struggle with adult life. I dont want to derail the thread but I know I had a similar discussion with a few people on here before. That I have a lot of ingrained self loathing about why I cant cope like others, why am I lazy and messy and unable to manage. Its taken me a long time to try and have some acceptance that my brain works differently and also put coping mechanisms in place for myself.

Timers work wonders for me to carve out 30 minutes of reading time or 30 minutes to iron or tidy the kitchen or whatever and accepting that 30 minutes doesnt make my house a show home so 30 minutes to read wont make it a hovel either.

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I get it. I struggle to take down time because Im never done. I always have house stuff to do, kids stuff to do, paid work to do. I feel guilty if I sit down to read or watch tv when there is still things 'to do'

However my therapist has introduced me to the concept of taking that time. That it will benefit me and it actually does. There are always things to do. No matter what.

Ive spoken before about how I use timers for reading but I actually use timers for a lot of things. Im chronically overwhelmed and really struggle with adult life. I dont want to derail the thread but I know I had a similar discussion with a few people on here before. That I have a lot of ingrained self loathing about why I cant cope like others, why am I lazy and messy and unable to manage. Its taken me a long time to try and have some acceptance that my brain works differently and also put coping mechanisms in place for myself.

Timers work wonders for me to carve out 30 minutes of reading time or 30 minutes to iron or tidy the kitchen or whatever and accepting that 30 minutes doesnt make my house a show home so 30 minutes to read wont make it a hovel either.
Love this so so much.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Thank you for your honesty.
It seems so hard to put yourself first in life. There's always someone there to criticise your life choices. I don't seem to know any other bookworms. It's like being a social pariah to mention it. So refreshing to sink into this forum like a warm bath. 😁
Honestly, sometimes I feel like saying "why don't you stfu and read/watch/listen to this rather than droning on and not letting me get a word in!"
Actually, if I'm being honest I have slipped up and said it to one person. I'm turning into a badass witch!!
But getting back to your post. Simplification is the best. Fighting against influence. Just have/do what makes you happy and stuff what anyone else thinks!
Sorry for any derail guys. Just fed up with people criticising my liking for books and what I'm doing with my time not being "productive!" 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Love this so so much.
Thank you lovely. I hope you are doing better? ❤
---
Thank you for your honesty.
It seems so hard to put yourself first in life. There's always someone there to criticise your life choices. I don't seem to know any other bookworms. It's like being a social pariah to mention it. So refreshing to sink into this forum like a warm bath. 😁
Honestly, sometimes I feel like saying "why don't you stfu and read/watch/listen to this rather than droning on and not letting me get a word in!"
Actually, if I'm being honest I have slipped up and said it to one person. I'm turning into a badass witch!!
But getting back to your post. Simplification is the best. Fighting against influence. Just have/do what makes you happy and stuff what anyone else thinks!
Sorry for any derail guys. Just fed up with people criticising my liking for books and what I'm doing with my time not being "productive!" 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
We dont need to be productive 24/7. Also how much time does the average person (myself included) spend scrolling.

Time enjoyed isnt wasted 🥰 I dont enjoy doing sports or video games but Id never be so bold to suggest to those who do that the time they spend is unproductive or wasteful/pointless.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Resting and self care are as important a part of life as any other. If you never fill your cup then how can you keep pouring? I have a constant to-list in my head but rarely the motivation to do the doing! And actually, for me, reading felt like the only way to pass time that was worthwhile. Allowing myself to Netflix this year has been a revelation. We are so prone to black and white thinking. If I don’t do it all, I’m a failure, etc. @Caffeine Fiend i love your approach because it’s breaking life down into manageable bite size chunks. As someone who can find a day overwhelmingly long, I really appreciate the value in tackling it one task at a time. And being compassionate and pragmatic about what can wait! I’m actually considering seeking assessment for neurodivergence. There’s a high cooccurrence between autism/adhd and eating disorders. Many boxes ticked! Knowledge is power, right?

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Resting and self care are as important a part of life as any other. If you never fill your cup then how can you keep pouring? I have a constant to-list in my head but rarely the motivation to do the doing! And actually, for me, reading felt like the only way to pass time that was worthwhile. Allowing myself to Netflix this year has been a revelation. We are so prone to black and white thinking. If I don’t do it all, I’m a failure, etc. @Caffeine Fiend i love your approach because it’s breaking life down into manageable bite size chunks. As someone who can find a day overwhelmingly long, I really appreciate the value in tackling it one task at a time. And being compassionate and pragmatic about what can wait! I’m actually considering seeking assessment for neurodivergence. There’s a high cooccurrence between autism/adhd and eating disorders. Many boxes ticked! Knowledge is power, right?
This is exactly where I get to. If I cant do it to 100% perfection I wont do it all. It really has hindered me so much in my life. I have very few hobbies because if I cant run a 25 min 5k inside a few days why would I want to. If I cant crochet a whole cardigan within days of picking up hooks then whats the point etc etc and on and on I go.

Diagnosis has helped me hate myself less. We got you! Xx

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
6.5hrs into Ruthless Vows and….. I love it 🤣 I must be an exception to the rule. I listened to 5.5hrs non stop yesterday doing the housework and couldn’t wait to put it on today.
on the other hand I have been trying to get through Never Lie for a WEEK, A WEEK and it is dull 🤦🏻‍♀️
Also my replacement Mad Honey arrived and the library books are dropped off 🤣🥳
---
We got you! Xx
I ❤ this thread

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.