Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Finally finished The Great Alone, it really dragged on for the first half for me. Also was very depressing for most of it šŸ˜… but ultimately gave it 4 stars, it could've moved slightly more at pace though

Reactions: 6
Started Clickbait by L.C. North yesterday on audible, smashed my way through it with 90 minutes left which I managed to finished during my work commute this morning and evening... Loved it! Just as good as her last one (The Ugly Truth), I only gave it 4 stars because of some narrative decisions I didn't like but it was gripping, so well written and I devoured it!
I'm very intrigued & just reserved from the library!

Reactions: 2
Iā€™m also married to a gamer!
We do watch TV together too but Iā€™m usually doing something else at the same time some kind of craft (or scrolling šŸ«£ and regretting it).

The response I tend to get to how many books Iā€™ve read in a year is ā€˜how do you find the time??ā€™ So more of an inference that theyā€™re too busy/work longer hours etc, actually my job is quite demanding and I often work into the evening but I think we all make time for the things we want if we can. Iā€™m a night owl so isnā€™t unusual for me to read 11.00-00.30ish.

Also chiming in with the timers - I set a timer for a ā€˜power hourā€™ to get stuff done, usually thatā€™s enough to get my in to the task and spend longer doing whatever boring thing it is.. tidying up. I need to know thereā€™s an end point or I canā€™t start! Even with work, Iā€™m so productive the 45-60 min before a call starts.
---
Oh I actually came to the thread to post this relating to my 3 book binge last week..

This is me. I am a late evening reader, it's now 10 past 12 and I've just put my book down! I find I can read so much better in bed with TV off. I can't actually go to sleep if I don't relax my brain with reading first.
---
Finally finished The Great Alone, it really dragged on for the first half for me. Also was very depressing for most of it šŸ˜… but ultimately gave it 4 stars, it could've moved slightly more at pace though
I felt like that about Four Winds, it was just a whole lot of misery but I agree Great Alone is a bit of a miserable book too!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
The four winds really hooked me in from the start. I loved that book despite the misery. Have to time my Kristin Hannah books for when I feel resilient.

Speaking of which, am almost finished Piglet and some of it was so hard to read. So tense for a non thriller.
The scene the day before wedding when she is in the restaurant and her colleagues come in was one of the most awkward encounters. Felt the absolute shame. Also found the morning of the wedding almost unbearable.

The class stuff and the embarrassment she felt around her family really hit me. I thought she did that so well. Her farther was also guilty of not wanting her to embarrass him.

crazy book really.

Reactions: 2
Just want to be very clear that I do not personally think reading is lazy ā€¦ it was more when you tell people itā€™s your hobby versus someone whose hobby is hiking or running etc

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Another reader with a husband who's into gaming here :ROFLMAO:

Kristin Hannah does bleak and miserable very effectively tbf. I didn't love the Four Winds as much, but I was captivated by the Great Alone.

Reactions: 7
I don't mind this kind of miserable that Kirsten Hannah does but just felt the first half of the great alone went over and over the same stuff, could've been paced a bit better. Overall enjoyed it though. I liked four winds too

Reactions: 1
Re: the whole how reading as a hobby is viewed etc discussion. I was talking with a colleague a few weeks ago and we got on the topic of books - I mentioned that I'd recently gotten back into reading. What really stuck out is that she said "yeah but really reading is just another form of escapism isn't it". Well yeah but by that logic - you could say the same of anything people enjoy like watching TV, listening to music etc. We don't have to be 'productive' 24/7. Such a weird view to have. I've never thought of reading as being on the same level as binge watching TV shows for example.

Reactions: 19
Re: the whole how reading as a hobby is viewed etc discussion. I was talking with a colleague a few weeks ago and we got on the topic of books - I mentioned that I'd recently gotten back into reading. What really stuck out is that she said "yeah but really reading is just another form of escapism isn't it". Well yeah but by that logic - you could say the same of anything people enjoy like watching TV, listening to music etc. We don't have to be 'productive' 24/7. Such a weird view to have. I've never thought of reading as being on the same level as binge watching TV shows for example.
I would say they are totally different. TV is mindless. You just sit there staring at the screen with minimal brain power required.

Reading is entirely different

Reactions: 4
i think theyā€™re all different versions of the same thing tbh - like said above. theyā€™re all escapism in different ways and theyā€™re all the consuming of creative media in different ways. iā€™m not a huge fan of the argument that watching tv requires less brain power than reading (i think you start getting into shaky ground there in terms of is reading classic literature using more brain power than reading fluffy romances, or is watching theatre more highbrow than watching a tv show. even with the difference between audiobooks and a page).

theyā€™re all making you view/listen to something (be it reading in all its forms, tv, theatre, music in all its genres) and interpreting it for yourself. all equally valid imo šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Another reader with a gamer husband here šŸ™‹šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Iā€™ve always been a reader (bar a spell for too long a few years back when I lost the joy) and I remember being praised for always having my head in a book as a child, then a teen I would find people would say ā€œwould you not rather be out with your friends?ā€ then as an adult itā€™s ā€œyouā€™ve read how many books?! Iā€™d never find the time for that!ā€

Isnā€™t it strange that something thatā€™s regarded as such an important skill and praised in our younger years becomes something completely opposite as we grow. I read 124 books last year but I donā€™t sit with my head in a book constantly - I find little pockets of time to read throughout the day and then read at least half an hour every night before bed. It soon adds up but yet people are so amazed by it. I also watch lots of TV, films, scroll on my phone for too long and play video games occasionally but still manage to fit in what I enjoy most - reading.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Kristin Hannah does bleak and miserable very effectively tbf. I didn't love the Four Winds as much, but I was captivated by the Great Alone.
the nightingale will always be her best imo! i really didnā€™t love the four winds either: she does outstanding research but sometimes doesnā€™t always include that research in the most readable way, so iā€™ve found her a bit up and down based on what iā€™ve read. maybe iā€™ll try the great alone now šŸ’™

• Heart
Reactions: 3
the nightingale will always be her best imo! i really didnā€™t love the four winds either: she does outstanding research but sometimes doesnā€™t always include that research in the most readable way, so iā€™ve found her a bit up and down based on what iā€™ve read. maybe iā€™ll try the great alone now šŸ’™
Very true, she does historical detail very well. The Nightingale is one of my faves of all time, I enjoyed it so much I bought it for my mum and mother in law for christmas the year I read it! I also really enjoyed Winter Garden.

Reactions: 5
Iā€™ve been on a bit of a reading hiatus - just couldnā€™t get myself in the mood to read. But finally felt like it at the weekend and read the Housemaid by Freida McFadden in one sitting.

It wasnā€™t amazing but it was a solid thriller and did the job as Iā€™m now over halfway through my next book so good to get out of the slump.

Im currently reading Never Let Me Go - Iā€™ve seen the film so I know whatā€™s coming but I am prepped to CRY when I finish it tonight.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Very true, she does historical detail very well. The Nightingale is one of my faves of all time, I enjoyed it so much I bought it for my mum and mother in law for christmas the year I read it! I also really enjoyed Winter Garden.
I loved Winter Garden and the Nightingale too, just read one of hers called True Colors it was good but not one of her best imo

I finished the fourth Magnolia Parks! Does anyone know if there will be any more? I have some thoughts on it....
I found Magnolia a little grating for the first half of the book but she was making me laugh again by the end, I find her oddly endearing but would probably dislike her in real life.... speaking of am glad they got their happy ending and seeing her coming to terms with Bridget's death and growing as a person. I want to know the rest of the boxset's stories now though esp Christian/Daisy fingers crossed for more
---
I definitely view reading as escapism and taking me out of the real world for a bit but I don't see that as a bad thing at all- keeps me sane! As you said, so many things that people enjoy can be said to do the same just by a different means?!

I finished the fourth Magnolia Parks! Does anyone know if there will be any more? I have some thoughts on it....
I found Magnolia a little grating for the first half of the book but she was making me laugh again by the end, I find her oddly endearing but would probably dislike her in real life.... speaking of am glad they got their happy ending and seeing her coming to terms with Bridget's death and growing as a person. I want to know the rest of the boxset's stories now though esp Christian/Daisy fingers crossed for more
---
I think the 5th book is out!

I think the 5th book is out!
It is because I have it. Why? No idea as Ive only read the first
Oh wow I need to get to a bookshop then! Thanks ladies.
---
Ack I've just googled it and realised I've somehow skipped a book and thought the fifth was the fourth. So annoyed with myself although not sorry to miss another book of Daisy footnotes as I found that really hard to follow.
I will try and edit the post above as it has spoilers for the fifth book not the fourth as I thought it was.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.