Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone else reading Piglet by Lottie hazel? I stumbled across it but really enjoying it. Probably one to avoid if you are recovering from an ED although so far it’s not explicitly about that it does involve a lot of food and talk of eating (some disordered).
I've just finished this and definitely agree on your content warning! Although I must say the food descriptions are gorgeous, you can tell she's done her research on food writing.
In hindsight I wouldn't have purchased it and I wish I waited to get it from the library. It's not worth the money for me.

I can't tell if I just have too high expectations but the ending just fell so flat to me. I finished it in a day simply because the premise kept me hooked and I was hoping for an explosive ending but it fell short. Also, I love a bit of mystery and reader's interpretation but the fact that the betrayal was never said out loud killed me. I genuinely thought I'd missed some dialogue somewhere along the way 😅

Reactions: 3
A reading partner always finds a gaming one, Im sure of it.

Mine is a gaming golden retriever and I am a blanket hag who hisses if anyone interrupts her reading. He fetches me drinks and snacks. 😆
---

Timers for the win 🎉 I also read when I should be doing house bits. Oh well 🙈
Blanket hag 🤣👍

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Read 16 books so far in April, but my overall rating went from 3.3 stars to 2.8 😬

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Oh no @BWGossip have you been reading some v mediocre books this month?
I've started reading some regency romance novels by MC Beaton before bed and let's say they aren't the best... Most are fun and entertaining but after 2 days I've no memory of the story, despite most of them following the same exact pattern. The worst is that it helps me sleep better, so I don't want to stop reading them in case the insomnia comes back 😞

That said, I've read 2 five stars (not regency romances), so not a complete bad month, just really unusual 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Been to a few charity shops to today (even though I don't need anymore books on my TBR list! 😂)
Found Where the Crawdads Sing and Blood Orange for 50p each. Don't know if I will enjoy them, but for 50p I thought I may as well try them 🙂

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Finished Never Let Me Go - gave it five stars because it was devastating and that’s really what I want from a book.

Going to read Survive the Night by Riley Sager next. I’ve never read any of their books before so we shall see, if I like it then there’s a nice back catalogue I can get stuck into.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I've started reading some regency romance novels by MC Beaton before bed and let's say they aren't the best... Most are fun and entertaining but after 2 days I've no memory of the story, despite most of them following the same exact pattern. The worst is that it helps me sleep better, so I don't want to stop reading them in case the insomnia comes back 😞

That said, I've read 2 five stars (not regency romances), so not a complete bad month, just really unusual 😅
Have you read the ones with Rainbird in - the hotel ones I think? 🤔

Reactions: 1
Been to a few charity shops to today (even though I don't need anymore books on my TBR list! 😂)
Found Where the Crawdads Sing and Blood Orange for 50p each. Don't know if I will enjoy them, but for 50p I thought I may as well try them 🙂
I LOVED Blood Orange. I read it a couple of years ago on Boxing Day, don’t think I moved off the sofa all day. Kids were feral but book was great

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I need to do a reread of Blood Orange because it’s talked about a lot but I don’t remember it at all. Shocker 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Just finished Parable of the Talents. This is one of the top goodreads reviews, and says everything for me:
Screenshot_20240416_203948_Goodreads.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
I need to do a reread of Blood Orange because it’s talked about a lot but I don’t remember it at all. Shocker 😅
Yessss do a re-read. Its brilliant. So good all of her subsequent books just didnt hit for me and I wouldnt read anymore.

Reactions: 2
I read Blood Orange last year and I think I liked it but found it got a bit far fetched in places. Passed it onto my nan though and she loved it so 🤷🏻‍♀️

Yessss do a re-read. Its brilliant. So good all of her subsequent books just didnt hit for me and I wouldnt read anymore.
I read It Ends at Midnight this month and thought it was very so so. When I read Blood Orange back in 2020 I gave it 5 stars so past me obviously enjoyed it anyway 😁

I read It Ends at Midnight this month and thought it was very so so. When I read Blood Orange back in 2020 I gave it 5 stars so past me obviously enjoyed it anyway 😁
Yes the phrase everyone has one good book in them was apt for her imo.

Blood Orange the main protagonist is a lawyer. The next 2 books have a lawyer main character.

I adore Douglas Stewart but I want something more from his next book than male gay character in Glasgow.

I know writers write what they know Sally Rooney and her brown haired plain tortured literary girlies. However it doesnt always work. It does for Sal though.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I read that last month and I agree. A few months ago I read her other one, think it was called The Lies You Told or something like that, and I did really enjoy that one. She's got a new one out which I will probably read.

Also, just finished Little Secrets by Jennifer Hillier and really enjoyed it

Reactions: 3
I've just finished this and definitely agree on your content warning! Although I must say the food descriptions are gorgeous, you can tell she's done her research on food writing.
In hindsight I wouldn't have purchased it and I wish I waited to get it from the library. It's not worth the money for me.

I can't tell if I just have too high expectations but the ending just fell so flat to me. I finished it in a day simply because the premise kept me hooked and I was hoping for an explosive ending but it fell short. Also, I love a bit of mystery and reader's interpretation but the fact that the betrayal was never said out loud killed me. I genuinely thought I'd missed some dialogue somewhere along the way 😅
Same here although I would probably read her next novel. There was enough good stuff but yes! Irritated by all the same stuff.

Reactions: 1
I have just finished the 6th book in the Will Trent series, possibly my favourite in the series to date! There's 11 or 12 in the series so I'll have to try and stretch them out now.

Need to find another crime series as well to start afterwards. Have read the first Strike one and I did like it but felt it was a bit of a slow burn. Does it get more fast paced as the series continues?

And has anyone read James Pattersons women's murder club series? I read maybe the first 6 or 7 around 2009/2010 or so but there's 21 books in the series now!! And I'd definitely have to re read the first books if I was going to continue with them🙈

For now though, I'm going to go with Jodi Picoult for my next read!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.