Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
was reading sad girl novel, which essentially drained my ability to think about anything other than how much i wished i wasn’t reading it 🤣 haven’t thrown a book into my tesco donation bag so harshly in a while!

but now reading psyche and eros by luna mcnamara which is delightful so we’re back on track 🙌🏻
I know you love generational family sagas. Have you read Hello Beautiful by Ann Nepolitano. I cant fully vouch for it yet but I think you'd like it if you havent read it.
---
I've not had a good reading month, it's like I can't pay attention at the moment. Hoping for a better reading month in May.
I was on annual leave for the easter holidays and read loads for the first two weeks of April. Went back to work, its a shit show, Im so burnt out from it. I felt like 2 weeks off should have restored me. But it hasnt and Im exhausted again.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I have got all the way to mid-April and still not read a 5* book. I don't think my scoring has got any harsher. I have read some good books, but nothing 5* worthy.

15.5 months without buying a book. It feels so good to actually be going through the books I already own. I remember the joy I felt when I bought it and then feel a bit of joy that I am not buying it then. Then I feel happy knowing I haven't spent any money on it now and am making a dent in all the books I own. Not sure that makes any sense, but working through the books I own is just as good as buying books in a different way.

I recommend it!
I read my first 5 star since October last week. I only really got back into reading in 2021 and I have read some excellent books and I do wonder if nothing compares to them now.

Im not on a complete buying ban but Ive really slowed down on buying and trying to read the books I have and I think Ive read some great ones so far this year. I have got some library books now though which doesnt really help my TBR in any way but I figure that I'm using a resource that if we dont use we will lose and also helping my bank balance as its 3 books scrubbed off my wishlist.

• Heart

QueenBW

VIP Member
I've read two books this month thus far which is basically unheard of for me. I think it's the heat wave we've been going through where I am. It's so hard to focus on anything when it's boiling, I usually read before bed but I haven't felt like it. Ugh.

• Heart
  • Sad

nbt

VIP Member
It’s publication day for John Marrs’ The Family Experiment and I’ve managed to get it on BorrowBox straight away! 🤩🤩🤩

• Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I’m busy finishing Beartown (the whole series). I’d avoided it before because I thought, ice hockey I’m not really going to enjoy it.
But, after reading a few of Beckman’s novel I’ve realised he’s a master at writing words that touch my soul. So, I started. And all I can say is he is swiftly becoming one of my favourite authors ever. He writes about life / humanity (I can’t find the write words) so well. He really touches my soul, in so many ways. He makes me chuckle out loud, he makes me nod in agreement, sigh in desperation, cry at the depths of his understanding, his insight touches me deeply.
What more can I say without sounding like I’m besotted with him, which I am by the way.
You have summed up exactly how I feel about Backman. His observation of human behaviour and actions is the best Ive ever read. He translates it so well. The emotion he puts into his writing. He has this knack for getting you to care about his characters, all his characters. Even the morally corrupt ones. His characters are so well rounded and fleshed out. Theyre believable, theyre flawed, theyre human.

He is my favourite author. I havent read anything of his I havent enjoyed.

I feel like you can dislike the way he writes as it is quite unique but there is no way you could criticise the content.

He has my whole heart.

P.s follow him on Instagram, he is so witty.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Mamacita

VIP Member
Honestly modern life wrecks your attention span. I also have neurodiversity in my corner where I do 5 things at once but I cant even watch TV anymore. I dont have the attention span to do it :(
I'm the same and the last few months i also seem to be a lot more addicted to scrolling on my phone. I've been telling myself to put the phone down and have an early night for 2h now, yet here I am 🤔

• Sad

Ginnyjo

VIP Member
IMG_20240430_110759.jpg

I should finish Finale tonight
Gild was the surprise hit this month, Anna O was just bad, far too drawn out and very predictable tbh.

• Heart

inksmear

Beginning a little life today. I’ve been putting it off for too long so I started it on the train today!

• Heart

SaintLeo

VIP Member
I really love physical books so I’ve put off buying a kindle, but i am starting to run out of space ☹ so might have to get one.

I am looking at the green coloured paper white, anyone else got this one?

Also, any other physical book lovers found the transition difficult, and is not as satisfied without the physical book?
I used to be a real book lover and swore I’d never switch to a Kindle…and then I borrowed my mums to take on holiday one year and I’ve never looked back! I’d say I now do about 90% of my reading on Kindle and I really do think it’s no different to reading a paper book. It does have to be a Kindle though, as others have said reading on phones and tablets is not the same. I now actually find it a bit weird to hold real books, they seem so bulky and heavy!

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
I get it. I struggle to take down time because Im never done. I always have house stuff to do, kids stuff to do, paid work to do. I feel guilty if I sit down to read or watch tv when there is still things 'to do'

However my therapist has introduced me to the concept of taking that time. That it will benefit me and it actually does. There are always things to do. No matter what.

Ive spoken before about how I use timers for reading but I actually use timers for a lot of things. Im chronically overwhelmed and really struggle with adult life. I dont want to derail the thread but I know I had a similar discussion with a few people on here before. That I have a lot of ingrained self loathing about why I cant cope like others, why am I lazy and messy and unable to manage. Its taken me a long time to try and have some acceptance that my brain works differently and also put coping mechanisms in place for myself.

Timers work wonders for me to carve out 30 minutes of reading time or 30 minutes to iron or tidy the kitchen or whatever and accepting that 30 minutes doesnt make my house a show home so 30 minutes to read wont make it a hovel either.
Thank you for your honesty.
It seems so hard to put yourself first in life. There's always someone there to criticise your life choices. I don't seem to know any other bookworms. It's like being a social pariah to mention it. So refreshing to sink into this forum like a warm bath. 😁
Honestly, sometimes I feel like saying "why don't you stfu and read/watch/listen to this rather than droning on and not letting me get a word in!"
Actually, if I'm being honest I have slipped up and said it to one person. I'm turning into a badass bitch!!
But getting back to your post. Simplification is the best. Fighting against influence. Just have/do what makes you happy and stuff what anyone else thinks!
Sorry for any derail guys. Just fed up with people criticising my liking for books and what I'm doing with my time not being "productive!" 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

• Heart
  • Haha

cill2019

VIP Member
I’m DNFing Once Upon a Broken Heart for now. “My legs turned to custard” tipped me over the edge 🤮🤮🤮

• Haha
  • Sad

Pinkii

VIP Member
Such sad News about Sophie Kinsella. Quite enjoy her books.

I hope she is able to live her life to the fullest with her kids without pain.

GoofyPrincess

Chatty Member
I’m almost finished listening to This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay and I am loving it! It’s exactly my type of humor and is a fun, light hearted, easy listen. I also think he does a really good job of narrating it himself. I’m not sure it would have worked as well with a different narrator.

Thank you to the people on here who mentioned the book as I’m not sure I would have known about/came across it if it wasn’t for you all!

• Heart

AllieBee

VIP Member
I’m also married to a gamer!
We do watch TV together too but I’m usually doing something else at the same time some kind of craft (or scrolling 🫣 and regretting it).

The response I tend to get to how many books I’ve read in a year is ‘how do you find the time??’ So more of an inference that they’re too busy/work longer hours etc, actually my job is quite demanding and I often work into the evening but I think we all make time for the things we want if we can. I’m a night owl so isn’t unusual for me to read 11.00-00.30ish.

Also chiming in with the timers - I set a timer for a ‘power hour’ to get stuff done, usually that’s enough to get my in to the task and spend longer doing whatever boring thing it is.. tidying up. I need to know there’s an end point or I can’t start! Even with work, I’m so productive the 45-60 min before a call starts.
---
Oh I actually came to the thread to post this relating to my 3 book binge last week..

This is me. I am a late evening reader, it's now 10 past 12 and I've just put my book down! I find I can read so much better in bed with TV off. I can't actually go to sleep if I don't relax my brain with reading first.
---
Finally finished The Great Alone, it really dragged on for the first half for me. Also was very depressing for most of it 😅 but ultimately gave it 4 stars, it could've moved slightly more at pace though
I felt like that about Four Winds, it was just a whole lot of misery but I agree Great Alone is a bit of a miserable book too!

• Heart