Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just finished Burial Rites which is definitely not my usual kind of read but it was really good. Anyone else read it?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I read this at the start of the year, just fair warning that it is … a lot. Not like A Little Life level traumatic but very bleak.
personally found I Who Have Never known Men very boring.. never moves on from the basic premise... doesnt offer much of anything else.. plot or characterisation/insight etc

Reactions: 2
I’ve just finished Burial Rites which is definitely not my usual kind of read but it was really good. Anyone else read it?
It wouldn’t be my usual style either but I loved it and often think about it years later.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
personally found I Who Have Never known Men very boring.. never moves on from the basic premise... doesnt offer much of anything else.. plot or characterisation/insight etc
I enjoyed it but I do agree with everything you have said.

It annoyed me that it left me with more questions than answers

Reactions: 1
This is an excellent book. Really haunting and pared back. A quick read, too. (IMO)
It really is. The ending is so brilliant too!
---
I enjoyed it but I do agree with everything you have said.

It annoyed me that it left me with more questions than answers
Thats the beauty of the book I think! You spend the entire time racing through it to find out why and then, BAM it’s over. So unsatisfying. I think it’s genius.

I've finished a lovely book this month. It was part of my library binge where I grabbed a lump of books on my circuit of the library to increase my steps. #beinghealthy😉
I would never have chosen it due to the depressing subject, but it was actually a joy to read. So much so that when I took my books back to the library today I held on to this one to go through it when I have a minute, so I can write down all the beautiful wording.
It gives a different perspective on life and way of looking at a particular health condition.
The book is called Here and Now by Santa Montefiore.
Here and now https://g.co/kgs/gQegkp9

• Heart
I've finished a lovely book this month. It was part of my library binge where I grabbed a lump of books on my circuit of the library to increase my steps. #beinghealthy😉
I would never have chosen it due to the depressing subject, but it was actually a joy to read. So much so that when I took my books back to the library today I held on to this one to go through it when I have a minute, so I can write down all the beautiful wording.
It gives a different perspective on life and way of looking at a particular health condition.
The book is called Here and Now by Santa Montefiore.
Here and now https://g.co/kgs/gQegkp9
Coincidentally I bought another Santa Montefiore audiobook today, called the secret hours. I have read a couple of her books in the past so will check this one out too.

I also started reading The Romanovs yesterday which funnily enough was written by her husband 😅

I was passing an area today where someone I know had recommended a community garden if I was ever passing.
It was really relaxing wandering round and then I found this little sign on one of the walls:
The bottom of it says "we read to know we are not alone"
We're everywhere us bookworms 😁 We'll be leaving secret signs next 😁
Hello to any Baildon bookworms on here. The gardens are lovely. 😍
IMG_20240509_150047.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Coincidentally I bought another Santa Montefiore audiobook today, called the secret hours. I have read a couple of her books in the past so will check this one out too.

I also started reading The Romanovs yesterday which funnily enough was written by her husband 😅
I love Santa Montefiore books. They can be a little bit formulaic - present day storyline where a woman discovers some sort of family secret alternated with flashback historic storyline about the family secret - but you know what you’re getting and they’re always good stories! Very similar to Lucinda Riley for people who like her stuff too.

I love Santa Montefiore books. They can be a little bit formulaic - present day storyline where a woman discovers some sort of family secret alternated with flashback historic storyline about the family secret - but you know what you’re getting and they’re always good stories! Very similar to Lucinda Riley for people who like her stuff too.
Yeah agree, I just finished listening to seven sisters series and the olive tree by Lucinda riley. Tbh for Lucinda's books in particular, I'm not sure if I'd read them, but they are great for listening when I go to sleep as the stories are easy to follow and just interesting enough to listen too but not too exciting to want to stay awake 🤣

I remember really loving Meet me under the ombu tree by Montefiore when I was younger

I read The Secret Hours book last month and loved it. My advice would be to read the first three books in the Deverill Family series first, as it's a while since I read them and I struggled trying to remember the back stories of the characters, that turned up in The Secret Hours. I've just picked up book five in the series "The Distant Shores" and I'm currently reading it.
ETA. Romanovs one sounds interesting....
---
I'll check out Lucinda Riley books. I like a good story.😁
Santa Montefiore books always seem to have a message in them for the reader. 🤔

Last edited:
The Seven Sisters books are probably her most famous ones. As the name suggests it’s a series about a group of sisters! They probably can be read as stand alone books but there is a common thread that runs through them with a final book about their father that ties everything together at the end.

Reactions: 1
I read The Secret Hours book last month and loved it. My advice would be to read the first three books in the Deverill Family series first, as it's a while since I read them and I struggled trying to remember the back stories of the characters, that turned up in The Secret Hours. I've just picked up book five in the series "The Distant Shores" and I'm currently reading it.
ETA. Romanovs one sounds interesting....
---

Santa Montefiore books always seem to have a message in them for the reader. 🤔
Ohh didn't realise it's part of the series, damn it 😁 okay maybe will have to try to listen to the other ones first then!

If you like Lucinda Riley and Santa Montefiore, would HIGHLY recommend Kate Morton.

Reactions: 4
🚨I’ve only gone and finished another book 😂

it took me an embarrassingly long time to finish but I thoroughly enjoyed the most fun we ever had. Loved Wendy and Jonah’s relationship! David ❤

next on my tbr list is dracula so I might see you all in the summer 😂😂

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Ohhhh I’ve just been sent this Audible offer 👀 anyone else? My reduced months are up too so I would have cancelled had I not got this.

I’m tempted, this is a really good offer.

IMG_2221.png

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Ohhhh I’ve just been sent this Audible offer 👀 anyone else? My reduced months are up too so I would have cancelled had I not got this.

I’m tempted, this is a really good offer.

View attachment 2926527
That is a good offer. Its guaranteeing a full year of £4.19 credits. Which is only slightly more expensive than the half price offers which arent guaranteed.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.