Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just finished I who have never known men and I loved it! It was so bleak and haunting and unsatisfactory. Amazing little book.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
i didn't know ☹ i think i read it about colleen hoover on here, but didn't know about her. i guess i'll crawl into a hole now 😂
Don’t crawl into a hole! There’s pages of discussion about FMcF’s books on these threads. Someone must be buying them and I think a lot of us see them as ‘guilty pleasures’. Like you said, they’re pretty easy reads between heavier reads. You can basically bash through one in one sitting.

I will say the housemaid ones are the better ones she’s written.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Anyone on here read ‘The Family from One End Street’. I read it in 1956 and still love it as it mirrored my childhood.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
girl, don’t you dare; get out of that hole! it’s okay 💙💙

i know nothing about frieda mcfadden and haven’t read anything by her but the audacity! but i remember reading a romance novel ages ago that had the whole benny and jets scene from 27 dresses straight up implanted into it and i wondered how the author got away with THAT too 🤣
Well! I heard that Barbara Cartland (she with the royal connections and rocking the Mrs Pumphrey look) did the same - ripping off Georgette Heyer! 😲

"Ever wonder about Georgette Heyer’s opinion of plagiarism and of Barbara Cartland? Ponder no more: an upcoming biography reveals Heyer’s comments after she discovered similarities between her book “These Old Shades,” published in 1926 (and back in print), and Barbara Cartland’s “Knave of Hearts,” published in 1950 (and no longer in print).

The Bookseller.com reports that Heyer wrote:

“I think I could have borne it better had Miss Cartland not been so common-minded, so salacious and so illiterate,” Heyer told her agent, Leonard Parker Moore, in no uncertain terms. “I think ill enough of theShades, but, good God! That 19-year-old work has more style, more of what it takes, than this offal which she has written at the age of 46!”

But it was Cartland’s historical and linguistic errors that really offended the writer‚ herself a stickler for accuracy. “She displays an abysmal ignorance of her period. Cheek by jowl with some piece of what I should call special knowledge (all of which I can point out in my books), one finds an anachronism so blatant as to show clearly that Miss Cartland knows rather less about the period than the average schoolgirl,” said Heyer, who told her agent she would “rather by far that a common thief broke in and stole all the silver”.

This biography sounds like something well worth reading for Heyer fans, and those curious about the foundations of Regency romance. It’s only available for pre-order in the UK, though."

---
Anyone on here read ‘The Family from One End Street’. I read it in 1956 and still love it as it mirrored my childhood.
I've got the books in my bookcase. Particularly fond of the Dew Drop Inn one. 😍

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I’m on my 4th Frieda book and honestly I sit reading them thinking this is rubbish, the Teacher gave me the absolute ick but guarantee I’ll keep reading and then read another one after it 😂 I like that they are on KU. I don’t know if I’d go and buy them.
The copying others work would definitely make sense because she churns them out like nobodies business
But I’ll read them all 😂

Reactions: 13
Well! I heard that Barbara Cartland (she with the royal connections and rocking the Mrs Pumphrey look) did the same - ripping off Georgette Heyer! 😲

"Ever wonder about Georgette Heyer’s opinion of plagiarism and of Barbara Cartland? Ponder no more: an upcoming biography reveals Heyer’s comments after she discovered similarities between her book “These Old Shades,” published in 1926 (and back in print), and Barbara Cartland’s “Knave of Hearts,” published in 1950 (and no longer in print).

The Bookseller.com reports that Heyer wrote:

“I think I could have borne it better had Miss Cartland not been so common-minded, so salacious and so illiterate,” Heyer told her agent, Leonard Parker Moore, in no uncertain terms. “I think ill enough of theShades, but, good God! That 19-year-old work has more style, more of what it takes, than this offal which she has written at the age of 46!”

But it was Cartland’s historical and linguistic errors that really offended the writer‚ herself a stickler for accuracy. “She displays an abysmal ignorance of her period. Cheek by jowl with some piece of what I should call special knowledge (all of which I can point out in my books), one finds an anachronism so blatant as to show clearly that Miss Cartland knows rather less about the period than the average schoolgirl,” said Heyer, who told her agent she would “rather by far that a common thief broke in and stole all the silver”.

This biography sounds like something well worth reading for Heyer fans, and those curious about the foundations of Regency romance. It’s only available for pre-order in the UK, though."

---

I've got the books in my bookcase. Particularly fond of the Dew Drop Inn one. 😍
that heyer quote is 👏🏻👏🏻 i knew she’d be able to throw shade but, wow. saving “this offal she has written” for future use 🤣

• Haha
I just finished alone with you in the ether. has anyone else read it and been underwhelmed? I didn’t dislike it but I feel like it’s very overhyped

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Copied from Reddit re Freida McFadden:
I’m very late here but: YES. Every last one of her books is a blatant ripoff of someone else’s genius. That’s her formula. She rewrites other people’s stories with a few minor differences, and an extra twist or two. From Verity by Colleen Hoover to And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. One is basically Psycho and then we have the one that’s literally titled The Devil Wears Scrubs. Seriously, Freida? There’s another that was released in January of last year called Do You Remember It’s a regurgitation of Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson, which later became a film with Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth.

First, I don’t know how she rationalizes this in her head. Not one story with her name on it that I’ve encountered stems from place all her own. She’s either in total denial, or she’s found a way to deal with feeling like a fraud all the time.

Second, I don’t know how there aren’t more conversations about this online. Your post here may very well be the only time anyone has ever attempted to build a discussion around this. Real readers (or people who read a lot) notice and are bothered enough by it to leave reviews or comments saying as much, but, for the most part, her plagiarizing ass has pretty much avoided the radar.

Maybe this confirms something that I’ve been thinking for the past decade with rising certainty:

We really are living in a sea of vapid, image-obsessed, Lifetime-movie-loving Kardashian clones. Easily amused; easily confused.and an extra twist or two.

Reactions: 12
Started Verity last night and just finished. That was....intense! I need to start a nice, easy read now 😂

I just finished I who have never known men and I loved it! It was so bleak and haunting and unsatisfactory. Amazing little book.
It's so good isn't it.. A very timeless book. I wish the author was still alive so I could send her a message saying how much I appreciated it.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Damn you @nbt I was working and drinking my coffee.

Had copied the link and was coming to say that. 😂

I had almost spent an audible credit on it....

Deal of the day: Listen for the Lie: The gripping new crime thriller for 2024 and instant New York Times bestseller that will keep you up all night https://amzn.eu/d/gzqulEG

Reactions: 2
I feel like I opened a can of worms with the Freida McFadden talk 😱 I just enjoy a bit of easy reading which is exactly what her books are. I’ll have to read some of the books she plagiarised!
---
Started Verity last night and just finished. That was....intense! I need to start a nice, easy read now 😂
Did you enjoy it? I read it very quickly too but wasn’t sure I actually thought it was a good book, just a page turner.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I finished ACOFAS last night on audio. It was my first audiobook. I feel i dont take as much in when listening to audio. But I need to learn that I can't listen to audio and read tattle at the same time 😂

I found this book boring to be honest. Nothing really happened. I gave it 3 stars.

I've signed up to audible as i don't think ACOFAS was a good first book to judge audiobooks by and I used my credit to download ACOSF so hopefully that will be a better audio experience.

Reactions: 6
Maybe this confirms something that I’ve been thinking for the past decade with rising certainty:

We really are living in a sea of vapid, image-obsessed, Lifetime-movie-loving Kardashian clones. Easily amused; easily confused.and an extra twist or two.
The plot stealing is very dodgy (I wonder if her publisher had been asked about it or made a statement?) but this last paragraph from the judgy Redditor is dumb and snobby. I am so glad everyone here in these threads is lovely and we all read whatever we like with no judgement 💕🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 10
just bought listen for the lie, sounds right up my street. it’s only the 10th kindle deal I’ve bought this year, I can’t believe it I used to buy about 10 a month 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.