Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ohh now I see why I don't manage to read as many books as some others here 🤣
and audio books too :) great for the car, top tip, if you find your mind wandering and losing track, then change the audio book speed to 1.25 or higher and it massively helps.

Reactions: 4
and audio books too :) great for the car, top tip, if you find your mind wandering and losing track, then change the audio book speed to 1.25 or higher and it massively helps.
Oh i do listen to audiobooks, it's more that I shouldn't be surprised I don't manage to read that many books when I mainly read an hour or two at night when I'm done looking at my phone and there's people reading walking around the house 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I’m still working my way through The Rachel Papers atm but finding it a bit of a slog. I picked up Pineapple Street from my local library yesterday and looking forward to reading that. Should probably read one of the books in the pile I own at the side table of my bed first though 🙈 I’ve also reserved The Last Mrs Parrish at the library too which I know gets mixed reviews.

Reactions: 3
Controversial but I love a good cracked spine 😬
Haha me too, I love nothing more than having a massive paperback that starts out pristine and then by the last page is all battered up, I like how the spine cracks almost keep track of how many pages you've read in a session, like tree rings. Shows you've enjoyed a good book!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Haha me too, I love nothing more than having a massive paperback that starts out pristine and then by the last page is all battered up, I like how the spine cracks almost keep track of how many pages you've read in a session, like tree rings. Shows you've enjoyed a good book!
Yes!!!
maybe if I had my books on display it would be different

• Heart
noooo! one of my friends literally cracks the spines the minute she opens a new book. just grabs both sides and pulls and i’m always there like:

i didn’t even crack the spine on a court of wings and ruin i am a PRO 🤣

(also finally finished homecoming, and it was just a slog that i felt like i’d literally walked to australia in the act of reading it. less is more kate morton, less is sometimes more)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Me too! I hate having to be delicate and careful with my books, I want to READ!
---
noooo! one of my friends literally cracks the spines the minute she opens a new book. just grabs both sides and pulls and i’m always there like:
When it's a book I haven't bought secondhand I can be a bit particular and won't crack the spine at first.

But then I get to the middle of the book and start stressing out about reading slivers of the page and crrraacckkkkk 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
One thing that does appeal to me with a kindle is I'd feel more able to read certain books in public. Like...

View attachment 2913039
thats a great book though tbh
---
Me too! I hate having to be delicate and careful with my books, I want to READ!
---

When it's a book I haven't bought secondhand I can be a bit particular and won't crack the spine at first.

But then I get to the middle of the book and start stressing out about reading slivers of the page and crrraacckkkkk 🤣
I sold some of my old Uni English lit books to a younger friend and she was like Did you even read these books? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 6

i didn’t even crack the spine on a court of wings and ruin i am a PRO 🤣
I is she and she is me 🤣🤣🤣🤣

How do you not crack the spine? I’m intrigued 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I is she and she is me 🤣🤣🤣🤣

How do you not crack the spine? I’m intrigued 🤣
i truly don’t know! i guess i don’t open books ALL the way or ever put them face down, and i kinda stop at regular intervals to close the book and smooth the spine (i have many weird reading quirks 🤣)

i’ve thrown mama blonde under the bus here before but she literally reads books as though she’s in them (i mean i assume she does, they look like she’s been chucking them around) and falls asleep a lot when she reads so ends up squashing them. i have her copy of this family but i might buy my own because her’s is WRECKED 💀

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I have had a Kindle since they get first came out, Kindle 1 the one with the stupid keyboard and the actual buttons to press to change r page. It was thick and heavy and cost about £400. My husband got it for me for my birthday, I want to say around 2006/7.

Screenshot_20240504_110636_Dolphin.jpg

Then a Kindle Keyboard, which I kept for about 10 years. I used that thing until it died. Around 2014. Moved on to the Kindle Voyage, no keyboard but still buttons to press. Cost about £250. Hated it. So got a Kindle Paperweight 1st gen, around £150 which was the first one to have a touch screen. Kept that until I got the current Kindle 11th gen Paperweight. I still have all these Kindles!

It's been a journey. 😂

I probably read 50/50 between Kindle and physical books. Swore I would never be a Kindle reader but as was said above the convenience of it, how small, light and portable it is made it a no brainer. I love it for all the aforementioned reasons. The current Kindle is a wonderful thing to own for it's practicality.
---
Oh and I meant to say I am starting Preloved today, my friend passed it along to me. I am only reading it because if the praised it received on here. It is not my genre at all. It is also 400+ pages long and a small font. I am giving it 80 pages to interest me other I am giving up.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I resisted a kindle for so long but now I love both for different reasons. I do notice the benefit of a kindle when I’m in bed reading a book and I realise I can’t turn the light off and carry on reading. Also I love the ease of highlight a word on the kindle to get its definition rather than just ignore it in the book or pick up my phone to google it. I also love the minutes left in chapter as it encourages me to keep reading.

But I still love and enjoy physical books. I like buying a brand new copy but at the same time I love to see a book that’s been well loved. There’s something different about going into a preloved bookshop than Waterstones. Both bring joy for different reasons!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I have had a Kindle since they get first came out, Kindle 1 the one with the stupid keyboard and the actual buttons to press to change r page. It was thick and heavy and cost about £400. My husband got it for me for my birthday, I want to say around 2006/7.

View attachment 2914423

Then a Kindle Keyboard, which I kept for about 10 years. I used that thing until it died. Around 2014. Moved on to the Kindle Voyage, no keyboard but still buttons to press. Cost about £250. Hated it. So got a Kindle Paperweight 1st gen, around £150 which was the first one to have a touch screen. Kept that until I got the current Kindle 11th gen Paperweight. I still have all these Kindles!

It's been a journey. 😂

I probably read 50/50 between Kindle and physical books. Swore I would never be a Kindle reader but as was said above the convenience of it, how small, light and portable it is made it a no brainer. I love it for all the aforementioned reasons. The current Kindle is a wonderful thing to own for it's practicality.
---
Oh and I meant to say I am starting Preloved today, my friend passed it along to me. I am only reading it because if the praised it received on here. It is not my genre at all. It is also 400+ pages long and a small font. I am giving it 80 pages to interest me other I am giving up.
I have never seen a Kindle like that in my life 😱

• Wow
Screenshot_20240504_114525_Samsung Internet.jpg

It was a 3rd generation kindle which was my first. It looked like this 😂 the first book I ever read on it was The Snowman by Jo Nesbo.

I was obsessed with scandi thrillers in the 2000s

Reactions: 8
I have never seen a Kindle like that in my life 😱
Be glad it was as thick as a chunky hardback and heavy which made it hard to hold. It was very exciting to be able to read books that way. Only about two books, mind you, as none were in Kindle format back then.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
When I get a new book, if the spine is pristine the first thing I do is Crack it, I like my pages to lay flat. And because I'm a bit of a weirdo, I always find the middle page and crack it there!
---
Reading We All Want Impossible Things, uts such a lovely book but I wasn't expecting it to make me laugh quite so much, with its subject matter!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.